Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Thanks for checking. It gives me hope that it was only one batch of screens that was defected.

Also thanks for the review and the pictures.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I guess the best way to describe it is to compare the internal edges around the screen to a picture frame. A picture frame is made of four pieces top, botton, and two sides that have their edges cut at 45 degree beveled angles so that the frame pieces fit together to form a rectangle. Apparently sony has combined four pieces, possibly housing the infrared sensors, and each piece has a 45 degree beveled edge. The pieces on my 350 do not line up perfectly so I can see the edges of all of them very plainly, especially the one that shows up in the photo. It is put together similar to a very cheap picture frame where the beveled edges don't fit precisely. No big deal as it is merely cosmetic, but it is definitely not up to Sony's top quality tradition.
Mine doesn't display this problem!
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #18
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
Quote:
But overall, I did not encounter the slow downs that at least one person has.
I was using an LRF file to get this problem ; ePub seemed to work fine according to my tests (I still prefer LRF no matter what heh).
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #19
worxland
Connoisseur
worxland began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Paperwhite
Could you test this slowdown issue with .txt and RTF? I use these two file formats only.
worxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Great write up on adding fonts, Jack!

One thing I'd suggest is putting your name on it as the author. I can guarantee some sleaze wad is going to copy it and take credit for it and post it elsewhere.

Speaking of posting it elsewhere, with your permission I'd like to repost it on my blog, with your credit of course. What do you think?
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Great write up on adding fonts, Jack!

One thing I'd suggest is putting your name on it as the author. I can guarantee some sleaze wad is going to copy it and take credit for it and post it elsewhere.

Speaking of posting it elsewhere, with your permission I'd like to repost it on my blog, with your credit of course. What do you think?
You are welcome to post my document on your blog. I lay no claim to having developed these techniques or instructions. There are many here on MR to whom we owe appreciation for that undertaking. I don't even know who or who all the appreciation goes to, but it does not go to me. I merely took information from many posts in several threads and tried to make sense out of them. In the end I experimented a lot and recorded my results and then decided to write the article to help others get through in short order what took me a lot of time and experimentation to accomplish. That is why I didn't place my name in the document as I merely compiled what others had discovered and expanded and expounded it hopefully into plainer English.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by worxland View Post
Could you test this slowdown issue with .txt and RTF? I use these two file formats only.
I'll try to do that tomorrow and then update this post.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #23
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Excellent review and great pics!
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #24
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
There are many here on MR to whom we owe appreciation for that undertaking. I don't even know who or who all the appreciation goes to, but it does not go to me.
I agree. MR is definitely a great resource for this kind of advanced technical stuff. But you are being too modest. You definitely deserve some of the credit for taking the time to layout everything in such a professional manner.

I've known about changing fonts for the Sony Readers for a while, but I never had the time to go through all the various posts and work everything out like you have. I, and I'm sure many others, appreciate the time you put in.

And when my PRS-350 arrives tomorrow I'll be able to test it out first hand . . .
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #25
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Great review! Thanks for posting all the details and the document summarizing how to change fonts on the Sonys!

I'm even more anxious to get my hands on a new 650!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #26
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Thanks so much for the write-up and for the consolidation of the font fix...I gave up, I'm afraid, in the thread because of all the changes! I might actually be able to do it with your instructions.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #27
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
No but it does help with 2-column and 3-column PDFs. See photos from a crappy scanned type of PDF. This does not work in Landscape--only in Portrait.

Actually 2-column and 3-column splits also work in landscape if the original document is in landscape.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #28
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Erm, the font hack required having custom firmware with modified adobe viewer file (without it, viewer does not look for a css file in internal memory).

[UPDATE]Just read the attached manual. Modifying css files contained in EPUB files is ment. Never mind.[/UPDATE]
The custom firmware hack on earlier devices has the great advantage of working for most epubs (including those with DRM) without having to edit the epub (you can't edit DRMed epub anyway). It doesn't work however if the epub already has embedded fonts--you will need edit the epub to take out the embedded fonts in the css so the default userStyle.css is used instead.

We won't know if the same technique will work with the new devices until someone is brave enough to try flashing the firmware--not for the faint hearted because if you do not know what you are doing you could (permanently?) brick your reader.

Last edited by ShellShock; 09-15-2010 at 05:48 AM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #29
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
ShellShock
porkupan (aka boroda)/igorsk will certainly try to hack th edevice (and they've always succeeded so far) at least to add Cyrillic glyphs to the fonts.

Besides, 900 (unlike 600, but there is custom firmware even for 600 ) had recovery mode (discovered by porkupan), probably 650/350 have it as well.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #30
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
ShellShock
porkupan (aka boroda)/igorsk will certainly try to hack th edevice (and they've always succeeded so far) at least to add Cyrillic glyphs to the fonts.
Great--let's hope he upgrades!
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote