Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The Kindle scene in the movie was memorable and very cost effective. Some may regard it as weird and inappropriate (technically),

http://brandsandfilms.com/2010/08/ki...nt-gone-weird/

but as far as product placements work, this one was novel and successful. Think about the demographics. First, you have a cab driver who comes from a minority group. This appeals to liberals. The driver is attempting to improve his life by reading. This appeals to Republicans. Next, you have a middle class suburban couple, both of whom work for a living. Many film viewers can relate to these characters. Date Night has a high rental rate at Blockbuster and Netflix. The Imdb rating is 6.5/10. You can't argue with success. Now, compare this with dumb product placements like the one Apple paid for in Killers, with Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl. Kutcher plays an assassin/spy and drives a Ferrari. The Apple laptop appears in a brief, forgettable scene. Ferrari 10, Apple 0. Also, the movie garnered a user rating of 4.5/10.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Them's the same folks that brought down an alien starship by feeding it a Macintosh virus.
I always thought Norton or Symantec were investors in that movie project.

Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #18
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
So there aint no way one of these
is gonna fit in one of these
If at first it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:00 AM   #19
brandsandfilms
brandsandfilms began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
The Kindle scene in the movie was memorable and very cost effective. Some may regard it as weird and inappropriate (technically),

http://brandsandfilms.com/2010/08/ki...nt-gone-weird/

but as far as product placements work, this one was novel and successful. Think about the demographics. First, you have a cab driver who comes from a minority group. This appeals to liberals. The driver is attempting to improve his life by reading. This appeals to Republicans. Next, you have a middle class suburban couple, both of whom work for a living. Many film viewers can relate to these characters. Date Night has a high rental rate at Blockbuster and Netflix. The Imdb rating is 6.5/10. You can't argue with success. Now, compare this with dumb product placements like the one Apple paid for in Killers, with Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl. Kutcher plays an assassin/spy and drives a Ferrari. The Apple laptop appears in a brief, forgettable scene. Ferrari 10, Apple 0. Also, the movie garnered a user rating of 4.5/10.
Thanks for noticing my blog and my opinion regarding Kindle's product placement in Date Movie. Kindle's exposure in the movie was in my opinion fine, but as a marketer I don't want to show existing and potential users non-existent capabilities of my product. That is the weird part. James Bond can fly with his Aston Martin/BMW and that's ok with the movie goers. But in case of Kindle and Date Movie that was not the best solution.

I know that it's hard to give Kindle an important role in movie or TV shows, but if you want product placement to really work, you must try harder than they did in case of Date Movie.

Regarding Apple: Macs, iPods, iPads ... have been an important part of Hollywood production in recent years. But that's Apple strategy and IMO a collateral damage of this strategy are also weird, stupid placements. In general this strategy is ok and it works on a long run.

Erik
brandsandfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #20
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
And there it is!
Is that a real book that they read in the movie, And in the Morning we Walk with the Birds? Hardly sounds inspiring

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikren...ream/lightbox/
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It would appear not to be a real book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #22
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would appear not to be a real book.
Shame, cos I so would have bought it!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandsandfilms View Post
Thanks for noticing my blog and my opinion regarding Kindle's product placement in Date Movie. Kindle's exposure in the movie was in my opinion fine, but as a marketer I don't want to show existing and potential users non-existent capabilities of my product. That is the weird part. James Bond can fly with his Aston Martin/BMW and that's ok with the movie goers. But in case of Kindle and Date Movie that was not the best solution.

I know that it's hard to give Kindle an important role in movie or TV shows, but if you want product placement to really work, you must try harder than they did in case of Date Movie.

Regarding Apple: Macs, iPods, iPads ... have been an important part of Hollywood production in recent years. But that's Apple strategy and IMO a collateral damage of this strategy are also weird, stupid placements. In general this strategy is ok and it works on a long run.

Erik
When I think of product placement, I think of Sam Jones III's character "Pete Ross" in the first three seasons of Smallville. The product placement was so frequent and obvious, fans took to calling him "Product Placement Pete."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #24
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yup! It's just your basic Hollywood technical illiteracy in action.
Them's the same folks that brought down an alien starship by feeding it a Macintosh virus.
Oh yes, I remember that one!

By the way, I haven't watched a movie in ages, but I wonder if Hollywood found out about the space key yet? Not to mention the mouse
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandsandfilms View Post
Erik
Welcome to MobileRead, Eric.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:41 AM   #26
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
When I saw the movie, I thought I saw an adapter in the mix. I've heard use of USB OTG support in hacked kindles, which would make such a scene plausible.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #27
brandsandfilms
brandsandfilms began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
When I saw the movie, I thought I saw an adapter in the mix. I've heard use of USB OTG support in hacked kindles, which would make such a scene plausible.
I'm sure that somehow it can be done. But that can't change the fact that this product placement was (kind of) silly.
brandsandfilms is offline   Reply With Quote