Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How good is the Kindle 3?
Super Awesome! 131 63.59%
Kinda awesome 55 26.70%
Just Good 17 8.25%
Not what I expected, bad, bad, bad! 3 1.46%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My considered opinion: it's good, but not great. For me, at least, the 5-way nav control is too small and fiddly for my fat fingers - I keep accidentally pressing the central button instead of one of the directional buttons. There are many things that have to be done with this nav control that a touch screen would have made much, much easier. Collections are no substitute for real folders, and the process of assigning books to collections is tortuous for large numbers of books. The web browser is extremely "flaky" and causes the Kindle to reboot frequently.

On the plus side, the screen is excellent - the best eInk screen I've seen so far, and of course the process of buying books really could not be easier. The actual "reading experience" is second to none.

Is the K3 the best eInk device on the market? I have to say "no" - I think the BeBook Neo is much better, but it's from a little-known manufacturer and costs twice as much as the Kindle. I'm sure that the Kindle is going to be an enormous success; it's probably the best value for money device on the market.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
I dont own one yet, but I feel its very compelling, so I voted for Kinda awesome. Lack of memory expansion would be a negative for me, if that feature was present it would've been super awesome.

Update: Let me say this too. This device has slowed down my decision though, I am under a dilemma, this or PRS 600.

Last edited by Prash; 08-29-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I have owned every iteration of Kindles. I love my K3. It is perfect in every way IMO. Great screen contrast, extremely lightweight and quieter than my K2 when it comes to page turns. I don't think the page turns are as drastically improved as some reviewers lead you to believe, but I have never had a problem with the speed of page turns anyway. It's just as quick than turning a physical page. This Kindle will stay with me a long time.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
I have owned every iteration of Kindles. I love my K3. It is perfect in every way IMO.
Don't you find the nav control is too small and fiddly? You must have much smaller fingers than I do!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #20
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
As I wait (im)patiently for mine to be delivered on Monday, I would love to know what the problems were for the 2 who voted "bad, bad, bad!" Unless I skipped something, I didn't see any really negative comments in the thread.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #21
DianaB
Voracious Reader
DianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's a huge improvement over my old K1. Thinner, lighter, higher contrast, and no accidental button presses. That being said, I'm finding it harder to read one-handed, because the next/previous page buttons are smaller and require more force.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #22
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't you find the nav control is too small and fiddly? You must have much smaller fingers than I do!
I actually don't think so at all either. Maybe it is fingersize...I don't know. I somehow lay it into the center of the 5-way and the just slide in each direction to press the button. Never had a mishit so far.

Maybe I just have unusually small fingers for a man.

fyi: I voted absolutely amazing
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Perhaps I just need to develop the right technique for using it.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #24
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Or you use one of your gazillion other readers. Do you store one book on each one or why do you need so many? ^^
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzzly View Post
Or you use one of your gazillion other readers. Do you store one book on each one or why do you need so many? ^^
I don't need so many; I just have a "gadget fetish" . I've actually got rid of a few recently - I've sold my CyBook Gen3 and Opus, and two Sony PRS-600s.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #26
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Update: Let me say this too. This device has slowed down my decision though, I am under a dilemma, this or PRS 600.
If I were still deciding, I'd be inclined to wait to see what Sony announces. There's a pretty credible rumor that they'll be announcing new models soon. Personally, I found the screen clarity on the 600 to be sub-par. If they fix that with the new model, it would make for a much better reading experience, in my opinion. If they get the Pearl screen, that would make it an even stronger competitor.

It's hard to express how gorgeous the Pearl screen is. The first generation was like reading newsprint. The second generation Viziplex was like a mass market paperback to me, but not a new one. The Pearl screen looks as crisp and clean as a fresh hardcover to me. I can read in much lower light and with a smaller font. If Sony gets it for their new line, then good luck making a decision, but you'll definitely have a fine reader either way.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #27
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
There there, the choice gets tougher. Any guesses on the release date for the new readers? I have to wait a lot to get a Kindle, so I would rather wait for Sony 650 instead.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #28
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
I don't need so many; I just have a "gadget fetish" . I've actually got rid of a few recently - I've sold my CyBook Gen3 and Opus, and two Sony PRS-600s.
I can totally relate. I have two Sony 500s, a Sony 505, and two ebookwise books to get rid of. The Kindle 3 and iPad will cure my gadget lust... for a little while.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #29
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I am still waiting to receive my K3 but once I finally get it I'm going to vote super awesome.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #30
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Collections are no substitute for real folders, and the process of assigning books to collections is tortuous for large numbers of books.
Is Calibre able to manage this on the PC and then synch, as you can with the Sony readers, or is this not possible? Could another tool do it?

Although I think that the fiddly keys won't be as good as a future touch screen, I can see why they made that trade-off with technology as it is. It's the organisation of content that need not be a problem (and so often is with these readers for some bizarre reason - how difficult are folders to implement, really?)

I think that we often over-rate the functions other than the reading experience - which the reviews often focus on, because watching a video of someone reading is dull. But that seems to me to be the key feature: a clear screen and practical page turns. Is the Neo better for that, much the same, or not as good as the pearl screen?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3