Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #16
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I hate the proprietary format and honestly don't see a need for it. If Amazon sold ePub as well, they would basically own the ebook market. So, B&N or Sony or Kobo would make an initial sale of their reader, but most people would end up back at Amazon for the ebooks. They just do it better.
I agree 100%. Right now, I hate Amazon, but the second they condescend to sell me e-books I can read on the device of my choice, I'll go back to them. I still use them sometimes to look for a book, or for reviews on a book I heard about. They are the best. I miss them every day.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #17
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I didn't know it was even possible to buy Kindle books without a Kindle device or application of some kind.
Yep, I've been buying Kindle books for a while now and having them sent to my "Kindle4PC" account. I've only actually owned a Kindle for a couple of weeks.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #18
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Yep, I've been buying Kindle books for a while now and having them sent to my "Kindle4PC" account. I've only actually owned a Kindle for a couple of weeks.
Well, yes, Kindle for PC would still count as a Kindle application. I mean, you can't just buy the book and download it and save it without their software or device. I can definitely see the appeal; they practically hold your hand throughout the process.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
tench
Connoisseur
tench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-505
Nevermind, I misread. :-)
tench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Well, yes, Kindle for PC would still count as a Kindle application. I mean, you can't just buy the book and download it and save it without their software or device. I can definitely see the appeal; they practically hold your hand throughout the process.
Oops, I obviously wasn't reading for content -- missed the word "application" in your post.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tench View Post
...--why won't they sell epub, either DRM'd or not? That's the mystery to me.
If they did it would be ePub with Amazon DRM, not Adobe. I'm sure Amazon has no interest in paying Adobe all the fees involved in using their DRM, it's why they bought Mobipocket in the first place.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #22
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Without releasing sales numbers, this is just marketing speak. I'm shocked by how low th percentage of sales to non kindle owners is. I would have thought Amazon would be selling more books on the iPad than apple does. Now it appears that would not be the case.

Apple never claimed to have 20% of the market. They said that of the publishers that sell via the iBookstore, they are being told, by the publishers, that the iPad has taken 20%.

The ones selling on the iPad are the agency model publishers.

Amazon did not state if it was counting revenue or units for it's 70% market.

If Amazon is right and has 80% of the ebook market, then I really doubt that apple has anything to fear from the anti competitive investigation.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #23
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I'm shocked by how low th percentage of sales to non kindle owners is. I would have thought Amazon would be selling more books on the iPad than apple does. Now it appears that would not be the case.
Really? 20% of Amazon's Kindle DRMed e-books sales are to people who don't own Kindle hardware and you find this number "low"? That's a lot of folks reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" on an iPad screen showing 100 words at a time, or an Android smartphone or Blackberry showing 50 words, or hanging out in front of their PC. A lot.

Quote:
Amazon did not state if it was counting revenue or units for it's 70% market.
I'm not sure it really matters -- percentage of revenue and percentage of units is likely going to track roughly equally among vendors. Amazon was careful to state its stats referred to paid sales. Amazon already demonstrated it was doing very well, thank you very much, with mainstream titles like 75% of all James Patterson e-book sales. It's significant that no one else has taken the bait -- including Apple -- of producing figures to show sales leadership from one angle or another.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #24
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Yea, his (Leebase) statement totally blew me away too. Amazon is dominating the market for ebooks right now with the missteps by others, and if 20% of their market is by "other than Kindle, it's huge. Given the lack of selection and pricing at iBookstore now, I don't know if they would even be viable except for the large iPad sales.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 AM   #25
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast
Chris Crouch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 & iPad
Quote:
Without releasing sales numbers, this is just marketing speak. I'm shocked by how low th percentage of sales to non kindle owners is. I would have thought Amazon would be selling more books on the iPad than apple does. Now it appears that would not be the case.
If you take their numbers at face value, 20% of 75% means that Amazon have 15% of the whole ebook market reading Amazon books on something other than a Kindle.

So their non-kindle market share is roughly as big as anyone else's entire market share. That seems pretty big to me.

Chris
Chris Crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #26
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Crouch View Post
If you take their numbers at face value, 20% of 75% means that Amazon have 15% of the whole ebook market reading Amazon books on something other than a Kindle.

So their non-kindle market share is roughly as big as anyone else's entire market share. That seems pretty big to me.

Chris
That got me thinking. According to these figures, the paying e-books market would be split between:

- Kindle owners buying at Amazon: 60% - reading device: Kindle
- Non Kindle owners buying at Amazon: 15% - reading devices: smartphone, iPad, PC, ...
- Other online stores: 25% - reading devices: all of the above, plus e-ink devices other than the Kindle

I wonder if this tallies with devices statistics in the U.S. Does Kindle have that big a market share (around 60% of all reading devices)? I suppose those figures are not known either.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #27
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
The Kindle's rise to preeminence is an example of how competition works. The Amazon name was enough to make it the brand-leader almost from the moment it appeared, and journalists who write about ereaders use the word 'Kindle' as if it were the generic term. Whether it really is better than the others, or whether the delivery model is the best for customers, is moot.

iBooks have probably come to the market too late to do much about Amazon's dominance. The fact that it is very badly thought out won't help, but then iTunes isn't particularly simple to navigate either.

So I'd guess that unless something really unexpected happens, Amazon will control the ebook market in the foreseeable future.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
The Kindle's rise to preeminence is an example of how competition works. The Amazon name was enough to make it the brand-leader almost from the moment it appeared, and journalists who write about ereaders use the word 'Kindle' as if it were the generic term. Whether it really is better than the others, or whether the delivery model is the best for customers, is moot.
I don't think it was just brand name at play. If you look at the state of the US ebook market at that moment, the biggest device player was Sony and there were a few much smaller companies like Cybook and iRex. The main stores were places like Sony Connect, Books on Board and Fictionwise. Ebook prices were pretty much the same as full paper MSRP. We're talking over $20 for new releases. Amazon came in and offered $9.99 new releases in addition to a brain-dead easy store and some compelling features in the reader itself (free wireless, dictionary, search, annotation). Add to that the visibility it had on the front page of Amazon.com and you get a powerful package. The name was certainly part of it, but there was a lot more to it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #29
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
Quote:
If you look at the state of the US ebook market at that moment, the biggest device player was Sony and there were a few much smaller companies like Cybook and iRex. The main stores were places like Sony Connect, Books on Board and Fictionwise
In the UK - and in France - people were talking about 'the Kindle' before you could buy one - in fact, I believe you still have to go to Amazon.com to get one - and before you could buy books for it. The store is still very restricted in its offerings outside the U.S. But it still seems to be the only ereader anyone talks about. My daily, The Guardian, is full of it - that and the iPad.

Amazon had a good, intuitive understanding of the book market from the early days. I hope they continue to maintain that understanding with ebooks.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #30
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
In the UK - and in France - people were talking about 'the Kindle' before you could buy one - in fact, I believe you still have to go to Amazon.com to get one - and before you could buy books for it. The store is still very restricted in its offerings outside the U.S. But it still seems to be the only ereader anyone talks about. My daily, The Guardian, is full of it - that and the iPad.

Amazon had a good, intuitive understanding of the book market from the early days. I hope they continue to maintain that understanding with ebooks.
The situation is different for Amazon in Europe now. Publishers and distributors are creating a market that has (thanks in part to Amazon) more visibility than it used to. They are not waiting for Amazon, and they have chosen the ePub format with Adobe DRM. If Amazon some day decides to seriously attack the European market, they will not be able to shape it the way they did in the U.S.

Right now, if you are a French customer who wants to buy a reading device and ebooks, logically you will turn to fnac, who has the largest offer at the moment. You will buy a Sony or Cybook reader and ePub e-books. When Amazon arrives on the market, you may be happy to have more choice - until you learn that you cannot read Amazon's ebooks on your Sony or Cybook.

Unless Amazon acts very quickly, they will arrive on a market where a number of people already have a reader. They may not all be ready to drop everything and buy a Kindle. I do hope that this will incite Amazon to reconsider their ridiculous closed-format policy and to offer books that can be read on various devices. Well, I can dream, can't I?