Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #16
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... But, I downloaded my one DRMed book to Adobe Digital Editions and loaded it onto the Kobo from there. Other books go through "calibre." ...

Calibre amazes and mystifies me. It is a very powerful utility. All I have down with it is liek you have - run a purchase that required Adobe Digital Editions to open, and fed it through Calibre to my Kobo.

I don't dare try "re-formatting" existing documents - nor have I sent all my books to the Clalibre home screen/library. Should I? With the default setup, is Calibre going to "alter" existing titles? Should I just leave well enough alone - or try it on a book-by-book basis?

Paranoidly yours,

Clint
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
64 bit when needed -- not as a marketing strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hatter View Post
This sort of comment is distinctly unhelpful. If everybody had that kind of attitude we'd all still be using windows 95. Don't blame consumers for installing a more modernized version of the operating system. Blame the software developers who write shoddy software for it. The operating system itself works fine.
Actually, the operating system itself still has issues. But what operating system doesn't?

The main issues I see is the ability to run 32 bit Windows applications under a 64 bit Windows operating system is more than a little spotty, driver support is still more than a bit iffy and lastly, at this time, unless you are into huge databases, there are few programs that will make use of the larger memory space available to a 64 bit program.

So do we blame Microsoft for the spotty 32 bit app support? Considering quite a few of Microsoft's own 32-bit applications don't run in a WOW64 session, there's no reason not to attach some blame to Microsoft.

Iffy driver support? Until there are enough 64 bit systems to make it worthwhile to spend the money on writing 64 bit drivers, support is going to be iffy. Since companies are not going to make money off writing 64 bit drivers for their older hardware, even less incentive to do so. So let's toss out all our old hardware and replace it. Great financial and ecological incentives there.

Larger memory space? Do you really need to have 32GB of memory when the most memory you have used is 2.4GB? Or are you just looking for bragging rights?

It's great to be able to use 32GB of memory -- but then you could do that under some 32 bit Windows versions (Server 2003 Enterprise or DataCenter with the /PAE switch for instance). Very few servers not managing large databases -- the ones that are measured in terabytes -- actually made use of that option. In my personal space, my daughter uses a couple of 64 bit programs that love having large memory spaces, however she abandons Windows and boots Linux to run them -- Maya and addons being the critical application for her since render speed is everything!

My apologies for wandering so far off the topic of this thread.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-13-2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: typos....
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
>99% of PCs worldwide are running Windows XP 32 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
46% PCs worldwide running Windows 7 64-bit edition

32 bit is on the way out as it should be. Enough said.
Interesting that an operating system with a 13.7% market share manages to have a 46% market share for one version alone.

Last figures I saw were:
Windows XP 62.4%
Windows Vista 14.7%
Windows 7 13.7%
All other OS 9.1%

Assuming that 46% of Windows 7 installs are 64 bit, that gives it around 6.2% of the total operating system pie.

OTOH, a total chuckle is that they reported a .03% share for Windows ME.

Perhaps you should have included a link to the press release you were quoting. It makes it rather clear that the 46% was referring to the installed base of Windows 7 only. Otherwise, the quote I used above is equally valid.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...windows-7.aspx

Last edited by DNSB; 07-13-2010 at 01:07 AM. Reason: added URL to Windows BLOG entry
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #19
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps you should have included a link to the press release you were quoting. It makes it rather clear that the 46% was referring to the installed base of Windows 7 only. Otherwise, the quote I used above is equally valid.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...windows-7.aspx
And where did anybody imply that the 46% figure is off the total mix?

The whole point of my post is to point out that 64 bit is here to stay regardless of why people have it or how they got it and people that suggest otherwise are well... behind the times with market momentum to say the least (not that there is anything wrong that).

To put it another way towards people discussing this rather fascinating topic:

1) Look at this graph: Technology Adoption Rate
2) Ask yourself which group you belong too; and promptly realize that your opinions and preferences are yours and yours only.

On another note this being a book orientated forum I highly recommend reading "Crossing the Chasm" by Geoffrey A. Moore
If I recall correctly it even has a section on a hypothetical e-book provider; which considering the revised edition was published in 1998 is pretty impressive.

Last edited by MDK; 07-13-2010 at 01:39 AM.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #20
Chuckels550
Chuckels550 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
How do I get this thread shut down? The issue was dealt with successfully - thanks by the way - but the thread has been hi-jacked.
Chuckels550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #21
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Just click on the blue square with the ! inside. A little window will open, and you can make a request to a moderator. They are usually pretty quick.

Mind you, no one had posted for three days, so it was already nearly dead... most flame wars die out pretty quickly here on MR.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote