Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
However, the selection of e-books you can buy from B&N if you are in Canada is extremely limited. The other day I did a survey of B&N's 50 top-selling e-books, and only two (#20 and #50 at the time) were available in Canada. Those titles were Rushed to the Altar, a Georgian romance, and Colter's Woman, a cowboy menage-a-4 (3 men, one woman) romantica novel. So not of much interest to most males.
If you register a valid USA address as shipping and billing address in your B&N account, you should be able to buy all the books.
As Canadian IP-addresses are allowed, this should work without using a VPN like Hotspot Shield or Alwaysvpn.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #17
mamakeet
mamakeet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The beginning of this thread was about which ereader to buy. I definitely recommend the Kindle. My Kindle, which I bought first, spoiled me. I hate my Nook. I bought it because the price went down and there are books that are published as eBooks but not in Kindle editions. I thought the Nook was going to be like another Kindle. When I buy a Kindle book from Amazon, it shows up on my Kindle as well as my laptop and iPod. That doesn't happen with the Nook. I can only access the books I bought by going to the one WiFi hot spot in my neighborhood where the Nook will connect. I tried several before I could connect. My Kindle connects to Amazon's Kindle store at home. I spent hours at the WiFi place this morning trying to download my library to my Nook. It wook forever for each one to download (or I thought it was downloading). Now that I am home, I have discovered that half of my library didn't make it. Also, I deleted books online from my B & N account that are still shoiwng up in my My Library, even on the laptop. I set it to sort by title, but it includes A and The, so those books that begin with A or The are out of order. Kindle skips A and The to list the titles aphabetically. At first I thought I should have bought the 3G, but I read that 3G only adds a connection in a B & N store, not my wireless network at home.
mamakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #18
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakeet View Post
The beginning of this thread was about which ereader to buy. I definitely recommend the Kindle. My Kindle, which I bought first, spoiled me. I hate my Nook. I bought it because the price went down and there are books that are published as eBooks but not in Kindle editions. I thought the Nook was going to be like another Kindle. When I buy a Kindle book from Amazon, it shows up on my Kindle as well as my laptop and iPod. That doesn't happen with the Nook. I can only access the books I bought by going to the one WiFi hot spot in my neighborhood where the Nook will connect. I tried several before I could connect. My Kindle connects to Amazon's Kindle store at home. I spent hours at the WiFi place this morning trying to download my library to my Nook. It wook forever for each one to download (or I thought it was downloading). Now that I am home, I have discovered that half of my library didn't make it. Also, I deleted books online from my B & N account that are still shoiwng up in my My Library, even on the laptop. I set it to sort by title, but it includes A and The, so those books that begin with A or The are out of order. Kindle skips A and The to list the titles aphabetically. At first I thought I should have bought the 3G, but I read that 3G only adds a connection in a B & N store, not my wireless network at home.
It is wifi that connects your Nook in a B&N store. It doesn't sound like you have a wifi network in your home. If that is the case, why on earth did you buy a wifi-only Nook? You definitely should have gotten 3G+Wifi. If I'm mistaken and you do have wifi at home then I apologize in advance.
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLessard View Post
Thanks iandix. I have the PRS-600 now and I agree on the screen...it's horrible, which is why I'm looking to switch. However, I've found the battery life to be dismal, although I'm only on my first full charge and I've heard it takes a few charges and drains to "train" the battery gauge. Did you find that with the Nook?

Thanks.
If you find the 600 battery life dismal, you will even more disatisfied with the nooks battery life. Honestly however I think you might have a bad battery. How many days do you get with the SONY, if it is not close to 10-14 days then you do have a bad battery.

Battery training applies to NiHI batteries(nickle base), Lithium Ion batteries do not have to be trained. In fact studies show that they last longer the more you charge them and keep them charged to full. Also keeping them away form heat also increase the battery life.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #20
mamakeet
mamakeet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by malligator View Post
It is wifi that connects your Nook in a B&N store. It doesn't sound like you have a wifi network in your home. If that is the case, why on earth did you buy a wifi-only Nook? You definitely should have gotten 3G+Wifi. If I'm mistaken and you do have wifi at home then I apologize in advance.
I have a wireless network, not WiFi. My Kindle has neither WiFi nor 3G. It doesn't need either one to get Kindle editions of books I buy from Amazon. I thought that B & N added WiFi and 3G so people could access the net with the Nook, in the same way that my cell phone can go on the web for email, etc. I didn't know that the Nook is totally dependent on WiFi to get the books. If 3G only works in the store, it wouldn't have done me any good to pay another $50 for that. You don't get enough info in the promotions to know that you're buying not just a machine with WiFi, but a machine that doesn't work without it. Also, just because a place advertises WiFi, that doesn't mean the Nook will work there. I tried four places with WiFi before I finally found one where the Nook works. Our local Starbucks has an A T & T WiFi, which worked, sort of. I thought I was downloading the books I had already bought, but only about half of them are on the Nook. It seems as if the Nook is designed to be used primarily in B & N stores. By the way, my Kindle can be used within a B & N store to search for and buy Kindle books from Amazon. I've done it several times. When I asked the man at the info desk if I could use a Nook the same way I use my Kindle, he assured me that it would be even better. I thought I could just pop either ereader in my bag before I leave the house with a nice library of books on both of them, ready whenever I have some time to read. I'm really disappointed..

Last edited by mamakeet; 07-02-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: forgot period after penultimate sentence
mamakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
Nessalove
Nessalove began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I have a wireless network, not WiFi. My Kindle has neither WiFi nor 3G. It doesn't need either one to get Kindle editions of books I buy from Amazon. I thought that B & N added WiFi and 3G so people could access the net with the Nook, in the same way that my cell phone can go on the web for email, etc. I didn't know that the Nook is totally dependent on WiFi to get the books. If 3G only works in the store, it wouldn't have done me any good to pay another $50 for that. You don't get enough info in the promotions to know that you're buying not just a machine with WiFi, but a machine that doesn't work without it. Also, just because a place advertises WiFi, that doesn't mean the Nook will work there. I tried four places with WiFi before I finally found one where the Nook works. Our local Starbucks has an A T & T WiFi, which worked, sort of. I thought I was downloading the books I had already bought, but only about half of them are on the Nook. It seems as if the Nook is designed to be used primarily in B & N stores. By the way, my Kindle can be used within a B & N store to search for and buy Kindle books from Amazon. I've done it several times. When I asked the man at the info desk if I could use a Nook the same way I use my Kindle, he assured me that it would be even better. I thought I could just pop either ereader in my bag before I leave the house with a nice library of books on both of them, ready whenever I have some time to read. I'm really disappointed..
Just saying, but the Kindles have 3G. That's why you can access them anywhere. It's not magical, they don't manage to hook up to the internet on their own. WiFi should work at your house if you have wireless (it's the same thing, WiFi is just shorter), so you really shouldn't be having any issues with the nook. However, seeing as you are and that you were planning on using it anyplace you felt fit to use a 3G kindle, you probably should have spent the extra $50, as it's doing exactly what you were thinking it does. And no, 3G does not limit it to just a B&N store, it's 3G. That means everywhere.
Nessalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #22
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
wireless home network = wifi, duh
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:17 AM   #23
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Quote:
As a very new member of the forum I'm hesitant to be blunt and almost rude, but honestly, before you start giving advice about which reader to buy you really should at least understand the fundamentals. Your Kindle isn't magic. It uses AT&T 3G just like the Nook would if you'd bought the 3G model.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:40 AM   #24
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I don't mean to be rude either, but you have no idea what you are talking about. You are trashing the Nook, and praising the Kindle because you have no idea how wireless internet works.

First of all, if you have internet access at home, you can buy books on your computer, connect your Nook to it with the included USB cable, and load the books on your Nook.

If you have wireless internet (wifi) at home, you can connect to your home network, and download your books directly.

The way that the Kindle works is that it uses 3G (wireless everywhere there is coverage) in similar fashion to mobile phones. The Kindle does not have wifi. The Nook that is $50 more has 3G also. I'm not sure who told you that Nook can only connect to 3G at a store, but you are wrong. The Nook uses wifi in store to connect to the store's wireless to offer you special promotions. THE 3G WORKS THE SAME AS THE KINDLE.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #25
envy
Brown Eyed Girl
envy doesn't litterenvy doesn't litter

Device: Sony Prs 600, Nook, Sony prs 350
My only complaint is that there is no collections sections like the Prs 600

I'm doing ok with the nook but i kinda hate going through each page to find what I want to read.

So I learned to put the name of the series in brackets [ ] with the series name in the middle ex [[Vampire Series 01] so its series for me to find

Also the clicking when pressing the button to turn pages are annoying me.

I know people said you would turn pages by swiping the bottom screen but its not working for me.
envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #26
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
Page turning swipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by envy View Post
I know people said you would turn pages by swiping the bottom screen but its not working for me.
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but I have used one in the store. The secret is A: a very light touch, and B: your finger has to already be moving sideways when you touch the screen, and still be moving when your finger leaves the screen. Like you are brushing a little lint off the screen. You don't have to swipe very far, you just have to be moving your finger sideways when you do. I've also read somewhere on this forum that you can swipe that bar in between the two screens, just as you would the bottom screen. (Fewer fingerprints on the LCD screen to clean up.) Oh, and I think it only works if the bottom screen isn't lit up at the time.

Last edited by ThomasMc; 07-03-2010 at 11:24 AM.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #27
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo

Misunderstanding technology?

Quote:
When I buy a Kindle book from Amazon, it shows up on my Kindle as well as my laptop and iPod. That doesn't happen with the Nook.
It does if you use the B&N reader app on those devices. They don't actually "download" until you open them, though, so as to not use up your Nooks's memory with books you don't want on the device at the time. Some people have HUGE book collections, thousands of books, which wouldn't all fit at the same time.

Quote:
I have a wireless network, not WiFi.
Well, there may be a confusion of terms here. "WiFi" is the technology used to create home wireless networks, but some people do get a 3G USB dongle from their wireless phone company, and use that to connect to the internet. Is that what you are doing? If you get your internet from a cable tv provider, or a regular phone company, and then use a wireless router or wireless access point to connect a laptop or printer, etc, then you have WiFi.

Quote:
My Kindle has neither WiFi nor 3G. It doesn't need either one to get Kindle editions of books I buy from Amazon.
Um, actually, it uses 3G to do that. Kindle wasn't the first eReader, but I believe it was the first to use 3G. The Kindle does NOT have WiFi, though.

Quote:
At first I thought I should have bought the 3G, but I read that 3G only adds a connection in a B & N store, not my wireless network at home.
3G is the technology used by wireless phone companies to provide data (internet) access to mobile phones. The Nook uses it to connect TO the B&N website only, but you can do that anywhere you could use an AT&T wireless phone, not just in their brick and mortar stores. You can't surf the web with it, but you can surf the web with the WiFi component. The Kindle currently allows you to surf the web with 3G, but they have indicated that is just temporary, they intend to charge for it in the future.

When you walk in to a B&N store, your Nook connects to their WiFi (not 3G) and provides you with their "in store" promotions, and ability to read eBooks for free while there.

If you just recently purchased this Nook, you could probably still exchange it for the 3G model, if you don't have WiFi access at home.

Or, you could load the B&N eReader app on your computer at home, and use IT to buy and download your ebooks, then transfer them to the Nook using the USB cable - no need to find a WiFi hotspot.

Last edited by ThomasMc; 07-03-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #28
malligator
Enthusiast

Very well put, ThomasMc. Thank you for the excellent (and diplomatic) explanation.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #29
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo

Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by malligator View Post
Thank you
Well, I've download and read the Nook manual, and I can understand how confused people could be by it. They repeat the same information over and over and over (like it was written by 30 different people, and then collated together) so many times, in so many places, that it is almost impossible to find the information you actually want. Very frustrating. It could be 90% shorter, and still provide all the same information, in a much more coherent manner. Bigger is not always better.

Last edited by ThomasMc; 07-03-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #30
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
However, the selection of e-books you can buy from B&N if you are in Canada is extremely limited. The other day I did a survey of B&N's 50 top-selling e-books, and only two (#20 and #50 at the time) were available in Canada. Those titles were Rushed to the Altar, a Georgian romance, and Colter's Woman, a cowboy menage-a-4 (3 men, one woman) romantica novel. So not of much interest to most males.
Although that is true, you simply have to set a US address with your Canadian credit card to be able to buy any book.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote