Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #16
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnom View Post
Just got the same...
Me three.

At least it is a free trial. I will reserve judgment until I have had a chance to read my local daily rag on it.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Ok...now I'm just waiting for the newspaper subscriptions to happen. This is one aspect of my Kobo experience I've been looking forward to. Now that they have their first update finished, hopefully they will get back to this
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Ok...now I'm just waiting for the newspaper subscriptions to happen. This is one aspect of my Kobo experience I've been looking forward to. Now that they have their first update finished, hopefully they will get back to this
Definitely a challenge juggling priorities. Hope we can get this out asap as long as we have a great level of quality.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #19
Musketeer
Musketeer began at the beginning.

While it might be a "nice to have" option on the Kobo, I think there are a number of other devices that would be a better choice for reading newspapers and magazines. Particularly those with the connectivity to deliver them.

As for me, I got the Kobo to be able to unplug and escape from the news and constant information overflow I get from every other device I own. Everything from our bedisde radio to our new TV is now internet connected and pulling in a news feed of some sort!
Musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #20
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
While it might be a "nice to have" option on the Kobo, I think there are a number of other devices that would be a better choice for reading newspapers and magazines. Particularly those with the connectivity to deliver them.

As for me, I got the Kobo to be able to unplug and escape from the news and constant information overflow I get from every other device I own. Everything from our bedisde radio to our new TV is now internet connected and pulling in a news feed of some sort!
Good point. It is nice to be able to escape once in awhile. And my Kobo is the perfect escape
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #21
ebiblio
Kobo newbie
ebiblio began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
Works quite well, but still suffers the font problem. For each "paper" I get I have to delete the stylesheet.css file but after that it works like a damn. Very enjoyable and completely free.
Hi RedRoverJ, Just got a Kobo and very interested in getting newspapers into it. I am using Calibre.

Could you tell me how you remove the stylesheet.css file? I looked in the folder where the Calibre subscriptions are downloaded but I only see an epub document and a jpg for each subscription.

In case it matters, I use a Mac with OS 10.5.x but also have access to a Win XP machine.
ebiblio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #22
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiblio View Post

Could you tell me how you remove the stylesheet.css file? I looked in the folder where the Calibre subscriptions are downloaded but I only see an epub document and a jpg for each subscription.

In case it matters, I use a Mac with OS 10.5.x but also have access to a Win XP machine.
I see two ways. First is to use Sigil, if it could be used on mac. Second,
unzip the epub, since it is just a container. Remove the css file and zip
it back again.
My best bet is that wifi helps for such a task. Cause there is not one,
I stay calm for this. Anyway, it suits better to desktop.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #23
ebiblio
Kobo newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I see two ways. First is to use Sigil, if it could be used on mac. Second,
unzip the epub, since it is just a container. Remove the css file and zip
it back again.
My best bet is that wifi helps for such a task. Cause there is not one,
I stay calm for this. Anyway, it suits better to desktop.
Zoran,

Thanks. I used Sigil and I could find the css file. I deleted the css file and saved it. When I load the book back onto the Kobo I can access the table of contents, but when I select anything from that I am always taken to the cover jpg of the ebook.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #24
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:

Thanks. I used Sigil and I could find the css file. I deleted the css file and saved it. When I load the book back onto the Kobo I can access the table of contents, but when I select anything from that I am always taken to the cover jpg of the ebook.

Any suggestions?
Hm! Did the book behave correctly before deleting css?
There is a tab like "tools" and "toc" under it. Could you
try to remake toc first? Save it all and try again. You could
install calibre too, since it has epub reader, just to save
you from copyng file to reader. If not, firefox has addon
doing that: reading epubs.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #25
ebiblio
Kobo newbie

Quote:
Hm! Did the book behave correctly before deleting css?
There is a tab like "tools" and "toc" under it. Could you
try to remake toc first? Save it all and try again. You could
install calibre too, since it has epub reader, just to save
you from copyng file to reader. If not, firefox has addon
doing that: reading epubs.
It did behave correctly prior to deleting the css.

The reason I tried to delete the css was the posting by RedRoverJ who indicated that he had a better reading experience when he did so. Right now, without any modifications to the download, I can manage to read ok. Sometimes I get a blank page with only hyperlinks etc., but overall it is ok for the price of the free download.

I did find the TOC editor in Sigil but not sure what I need to edit in there.

I'm trying to get a better reading experience on the Kobo as I would like to use this while commuting to work, which is why I am trying this out.

Last edited by ebiblio; 08-22-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #26
zoran
himself

Quote:
It did behave correctly prior to deleting the css.

The reason I tried to delete the css was the posting by RedRoverJ who indicated that he had a better reading experience when he did so. Right now, without any modifications to the download, I can manage to read ok. Sometimes I get a blank page with only hyperlinks etc., but overall it is ok for the price of the free download.

I'm trying to get a better reading experience on the Kobo as I would like to use this while commuting to work, which is why I am trying this out.
K, just reread the thread. Epub is simply html page put into the container.
There is just a small jump from original web page, also in html. Maybe
multicolumn page makes the trouble? If yes, manage to process it first to
ascii and then to epub?
Kindle does not support epub, I think. And has wifi. Kobo has it's own niche
for users with intention to read books and nothing more. Someone posted
about friend with kindle. Could it be more elaborated of the format the
newspaper used? And borrow that page and put onto kobo? If works fine,
might be possible to mimic the way it was made.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #27
ebiblio
Kobo newbie

Quote:
K, just reread the thread. Epub is simply html page put into the container.
There is just a small jump from original web page, also in html. Maybe
multicolumn page makes the trouble? If yes, manage to process it first to
ascii and then to epub?
Kindle does not support epub, I think. And has wifi. Kobo has it's own niche
for users with intention to read books and nothing more. Someone posted
about friend with kindle. Could it be more elaborated of the format the
newspaper used? And borrow that page and put onto kobo? If works fine,
might be possible to mimic the way it was made.
I see what you're saying but out of my depth here in terms of taking the Kindle subscription and trying to get that format to work with Kobo. I've also been reading about "recipes" used on Calibre. They seem like a pretty powerful way to render documents that way one wants.

Again, I need to spend time learning the basic concepts before I can venture in that direction. In addition, since this is for a newsfeed, I need to automate it as I would not want to spend time formatting my daily news read everytime.

Thanks for the guidance Zoran.

Tags
kobo, newspapers