Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
oops. sorry. well just a general warning then, watch out for cases with magnets if you want to use the digital compass feature.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by holterzoff View Post
Hi, i think you're referring to a different marware case. The ecovue and ecoflip are both closed with a strap. Nothing magnetic on these cases.
The Ecovue uses a magnet to hold the little kickstand flap closed, though. One of the reviewers on their site mentioned it and said it does cause interference with the compass.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

I have the Apple case too. I like it ok, but I think the material tends to pick up dirt from my backpack.

I DO like the way the case can fold flat, so you can hold it easily when you're in bed.

Not sure if I'd buy it again, after seeing all the cases available out there.

That said, it isn't a bad case.
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I like the Apple case. It adds practically no weight or size to the iPad. I slip in into some kind of a carry-on bag when traveling so I prefer small size increase in the case.

Also, Apple warns that an enclosed iPad may get hot if confined when charging which could reduce battery life. I have not found this with the Apple case so far but I do check on it.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Got the very nicely made inCase Convertible Jacket...returned it the next day.

I'm just not a case kinda guy, it seems.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #21
holterzoff
Connoisseur
holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle3w, Ipad, iphone4
Quote:
The Ecovue uses a magnet to hold the little kickstand flap closed, though. One of the reviewers on their site mentioned it and said it does cause interference with the compass.
Thanks Trubu, my bad. The weight of the apple case is also an argument for the apple solution. Always those difficult decisions......
holterzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #22
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

just a minor quibble, but i find the edges of the naked ipad rather, sharp. in particular the edge-to-back bevel. i know there have been complaints on macbook pro about sharp edges as well. i prefer to have my ipad in some sort of case (my apple case) as opposed to holding it naked because of this.

the leaked video of the new macbook are nice smooth rounded plastic. it's too bad the ipad wasn't more like the 3gs (rounded edges, but with a flat back)
Old 05-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #23
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by holterzoff View Post
Thanks Trubu, my bad. The weight of the apple case is also an argument for the apple solution. Always those difficult decisions......
Yeah, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to stick with the Apple case or not. I like it overall, but it does show every little smudge and smear and it's kind of hard to clean. I'd really like something very similar to the Ecovue, but sans magnet.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #24
journeychen
journeychen began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I saw some older threads, but want to see whether there's more feedback now that time has passed.

Can you provide a link to your case?
How are you liking it?
Can you charge, dock, etc., with your case on?
Is there another case you'd get instead now?
I'm interested the simple and decent design for the ipad case, specially the silicone one, as more lighter than others and more comfortable when take it on my hands, such like these one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Smooth-Soft-Sili...-/290433888140
http://www.sourcingmap.com/smooth-ho...d-p-63443.html
I think that the ipad can charge with the case on, as it is silicone material,
journeychen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #25
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I've picked my cases for now, but would encourage others to keep posting on this thread in case anyone else is interested.

I ended up ordering the SwitchEasy Nude case:http://www.switcheasy.com/products/N.../NUDE_iPad.php

I like lightweight, no flap. I usually read my iPad propped on a cushion as I slump in an easy chair, so I don't need a stand at this point.

I'm really happy with the Nude case, except that this batch has a minor manufacturing problem that SwitchEasy is aware of and will address (with a replacement, I'm guessing). One edge appears to have been badly trimmed from the mold during production, so there are a few ridges. Not a big deal, but not ideal. The case fits well and came with all the accessories advertised. It's all quality stuff, and the case gives me a much better grip on the iPad. I also can use the iPad charge cord with the case on. I don't know whether the case will allow dock charging, because I don't have one yet.

When I e-mailed SwitchEasy about the rough edge, the company e-mailed me back immediately and then followed up with another e-mail. Both e-mails were written by people (not form replies). I'm happy with the service (prompt delivery and speedy response to problem). I figure it's important for a company to make a good product, of course, and how it deals with problems is telling. Based on my experience so far, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend SwitchEasy.

Before I ordered the Nude case, I ordered a silicone skin from MiniSuit, which I wouldn't recommend at all. I ordered it to hold me till I decided what case to get, but couldn't use it at all, because it smelled like a nuclear waste dump (at least as I'd imagine). The stench persisted even after a week. It's not worth the effort to send back, but I wonder what it will leach into soil and groundwater if I throw it away.

For on the go, I'm using this case, which is oversized, but works fine:

http://www.frys.com/product/6219290?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

It's well-made, easy to clean if needed. I e-mailed the maker (in Australia), to see whether it was going to make an iPad-sized version of this case and the company promptly replied that the marketing team was considering it.

I'm waiting to see what other cases emerge for iPad before I spend more. I'm very interested in this system, which is supposed to offer a wall mount, kickstand, shoulder strap and car mount, but it has not been released yet:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...case-for-ipad/

Anyway, I've gone on and on, but I hope someone will find the info useful.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #26
scottjl
Reader of Books

interesting case, haven't seen that one before. how is the grip of the surface? I've found smooth/shiny cases tend to be slick and I prefer something rubbery that sticks (why i like the BSE skin on my iPad). I like the idea of the hard back surface that might take a bump where my skin only protects from scratches.

I wonder if my Apple case would stretch a little to accommodate the extra 1mm of that case too.

what color did you get?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #27
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
interesting case, haven't seen that one before. how is the grip of the surface? I've found smooth/shiny cases tend to be slick and I prefer something rubbery that sticks (why i like the BSE skin on my iPad). I like the idea of the hard back surface that might take a bump where my skin only protects from scratches.

I wonder if my Apple case would stretch a little to accommodate the extra 1mm of that case too.

what color did you get?
I got a black one. I like that color (or that absence of color) in general, and I don't wanna go around advertising for Apple (or anyone else). The black version isn't completely opaque, but the iPad's Apple logo is visible through it only up-close.

I also expected the case to be slick, but it turns out to have a really nice grip. I usually get silicone cases for gadgets, but this SwitchEasy case has converted me. I find silicone cases nice for grip, but the friction is sometimes annoying when stowing or removing from a pocket, a bag or such, and I could live without the grit they pick up. The SwitchEasy has neither of those drawbacks. A silicone case might offer a bit more shock absorption in case of a drop, but I'm fine with that tradeoff.

This is kinda stupid, but the case is so nice and shiny, I don't wanna hurt it. I need a case for my case!
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #28
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I have a Griffin book cover and like it very much. Nice quality leather feel to it, and inside front cover are slots for business cards. Ten dollars more than the Apple cover. Adds 4 ounces of weight. So total weight with cover is two pounds.looks very professional too.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 05-20-2010 at 01:25 AM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #29
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
The editorial on the front page asked if the number of e-books available felt overwhelming; I'm not sure about that, but the number of iPad case choices is starting to feel that way! However, since my iPad isn't estimated to arrive for another 2.5 weeks , at least I've got some time to think it over .

I've about settled on the Sena ZipBook (http://www.senacases.com/apple/apple...zipbook-cases/). It's more expensive than my mental budget feels comfortable with, but the quality looks nice, and I like the fact that the iPad can be completely enclosed for protection from debris, etc. when being transported. In addition, there's a 20% off coupon currently on RetailMeNot.com that helps ease the sting a bit. The one other thing that I'm concerned with is that the angle of the case in "book stand" position is much higher than the Apple case et al. Has anyone seen any cases that enclose the iPad on all sides, but also allow for the low-angle typing position? Appreciate any insights anyone has.

BTW, I just found out today that Oberon Design (http://oberondesign.com/) is planning to announce its line of iPad covers tomorrow. I have one for my Kindle 2, and find it very elegant looking and of high quality, but also fairly stiff in price. In addition, it weighs just about the same as the Kindle, so it noticeably changes the reading comfort for me. I'll probably look those over and try to pull the trigger before I go crazy trying to choose (I guess that whole, "Men don't like to shop" is more than just a stereotype in my case ). Take care.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #30
scottjl
Reader of Books

lol. i'm with you batman, funny how there are 100+ choices in something that should be simple and hardly thought about after it's set up and done.