Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #16
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
FAQ to rescue!
http://ebooks.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...hp?p_faqid=777
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #17
dotmike
dotmike began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
jmdor, did you have to do anything special to get Parallels to run Sony CONNECT?

What build of Parallels (build 1940 is latest, dated Oct 12 in Finder info) and version of XP?

Simply won't launch for me.
dotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #18
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
You know, for Mac users, Sony is particularly non-intuitive. Got the $50 rebate after figuring out how to register the reader. Thanks on that!

As far as parallels go, I had to reboot after installing the software. Then, when I plugged in the reader, I got the "found new hardware" message. Successful. Try unplugging and replugging -- no joy. Told XP to reboot -- now hangs on "shutting down" window. Force quit through parallels and reboot. Works the first time each time alone. Geez. Not sure if this is a parallels issue or a bad connect software issue.

I do get the software to launch each time -- it's just that it can't see the reader unless I reboot in-between "syncing". Good thing I don't plan on using this for RSS feeds!!

Windows XP Home and Parallels build 1940.

Anyone else notice that Connect is trying to look like itunes?

Last edited by jmdor; 10-30-2006 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Additional info
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #19
dotmike

This failure of Sony Connect to launch for me under Parallels is really, really weird!

I have a MacBook (laptop) as well as a Mac Pro (desktop). Same version of Parallels installed on each (build 1940).

After my problems getting Sony Connect running on the Mac Pro's Parallels, I went to the MacBook's Parallels and it installed and ran just fine.

Okay, no problem, I figured it was something about the other Windows installation that was screwing with Sony's software, so I copied the MacBook Parallel's fully working image over to the Mac Pro. That is, the equivalent of moving a hard drive into another computer. Every program, every DLL was identical.

And guess what? Back on the Mac Pro, Sony Connect ***still*** won't launch!

It seems to be the Mac Pro causing the issue...

Very strange. I'm going to thoroughly check all the Preference settings now. There has to be some difference other than the hardware, no?

Which Intel-based Mac are you running, jmdor?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:40 PM   #20
jmdor
Enthusiast

Running a black macbook. I do know that Mac Pro's needed more tweaking from the parallels people to get them to work -- I wonder if this is a corner case that they haven't encountered yet. You might file a ticket with them -- they might get around to it eventually!
Advert
Old 10-30-2006, 11:47 PM   #21
dotmike

Yeah, I think you're right.

Funny though, since their RC1, RC2, then build 1940 release, Parallels on the Mac Pro has run just about every Windows program I've thrown at it.

Trust Sony to be difficult! (I bet it's that RootKit they install that we don't know about yet...

Thanks for the confirmation. CONNECT on MacBooks = good, CONNECT on (my) Mac Pro = bad.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:26 AM   #22
jmdor
Enthusiast

That's a useful thing to know. I will point out that Connect doesn't work great on the macbook, as it seems to hang my XP virtual machine on reboot, but doesn't seem to have lasting ramifications. It might be a parallels problem -- I'll file a ticket with both Sony and parallels and see if we ever get an update!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #23
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmike
Very strange. I'm going to thoroughly check all the Preference settings now. There has to be some difference other than the hardware, no?
I'm in exactly the same position as you, and am beginning to think it is a Parallels issue on the Mac Pro.

I have a Mac Pro tower, 2 gig ram. I have tried on virgin installs of XP SP 2 Home and XP SP 2 Professional, with no other applications other than the Windows updates installed. No joy, the software will not launch.

My wife has Parallels installed on an Intel iMac, so I will try that next. I also have a Mac Mini at the office I intend to try out. Honestly, this is the only thing I boot into Windows via Bootcamp for; even all the programming I do for work I can do in the Parallels environment.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:30 PM   #24
dotmike

More info on the issue:

The failure of the CONNECT Reader software to launch under Parallels on the Mac Pro appears to be related to the ongoing issue with VT-x (hardware virtualization) support on the Mac Pro.

When started up with VT-x on, the CONNECT Reader software does actually launch...

The problem is that often VT-x is unavailable because of an issue in the Mac Pro firmware which the Parallels team can't work around and which Apple so far has not fixed with a firmware update. However, there is a workaround:

1. Launch Parallels and go to Preferences > User Interface and click the Restore hidden messages button. (This lets you know if VT-x is actually being disabled during the virtual machine startup.)

2. Shut down the currently running virtual machine (Windows Start menu > Shutdown).

3. Open its Configuration panel and click the underlined word "Acceleration" at the top left of the window (it has a green arrow and the word "High" to the right of it) and enable VT-x if not already enabled.

3. Send the Mac Pro to sleep.

4. Wake it again.

5. Restart the virtual machine.

This time, there should be NO warning dialog saying the hardware virtualization was not available because it was locked by firmware. Windows XP will also start up in lightning fast time (less than 10 seconds for me).

And now Sony's CONNECT Reader will launch on the Mac Pro!

(The sleep trick is a bit tedious, but at least it is faster than rebooting into a Boot Camp machine, and there is hope that eventually Apple will update the firmware to fix the VT-x issue.)
Old 11-15-2006, 01:48 AM   #25
evil_bunny
Enthusiast
evil_bunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony T1, iPhone 5S, iPad 3rd Gen
*Mac Book, 2.0Ghz white, 1GB Ram (you want more).

(1) Running WinXP SP2 under parallels, I did get the Sony software to install without a hitch, and it even runs. IT wants a larger size window than I was giving it, so now I run parallels in fullscreen.
(2) the Sony software is some of the ugliest media applications I have ever had the displeasure to be shoehorned in. It may be because they took the design mistakes of iTunes 7, gave it to a committe, and then passed it on to a drunken engineer...
(3) the connection speed does feel very slow! If it's stuck in USB 1.1 that would explain it. Deleting contents of the reader crawls. The transfer of purchased books is fine, because they're fairly small. The transfer of podcasts ... is painful.
(4) and ... why the heck does it not automatically sync?

My displeasure is emphasized because my first (second) purchase is the Perfect Thing, the new Levy technoluvfest about the iPod. Sony could never make the iPod.

That said, I'm doing more reading with this thing than I've done with books...
evil_bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:35 AM   #26
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Just adding that CrossOver does not even launch Sony Connect. I'll keep exploring though.
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #27
jmdor
Enthusiast

I do know that parallels is only supporting USB 1.1 right now; they said they would go to USB 2.0 in a future release.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:00 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There were some rumors back a few months ago that they might port the Connect software over to Macs, but at the time they were just rumors. I've run across some indications recently that there might be something to them.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #29
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I'm not paying out the bounty to Sony.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:50 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Shucks, now they'll never do it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote