Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
The added size alone, thickness and length, were precisely the reasons I did not go with the 900. I like the hard case, and use it exclusively on my 600, but the extra thickness of the one for the 900 really turned me off.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
to be honest. i have a 600 and like it a lot. but part of me wishes i went for the 300 and smaller size.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #18
Pollution
Pollution began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505/PRS900
I bought the 505 about a month after it came out. I was allowed to use it for a whole week before my wife discovered the joys of it and took it to work with her 1000 various mystery novels. I got it back after about 10 months. I used it everyday at least an hour per day (sometimes even as an iPod replacement to listen to audiobooks). Then I put the Ender's Game series on it for my 10 year old to read (he'd read off the 505 but rarely from print, the tech turned him on to reading, lol).

Sometime after that, my 2 young daughters found it and played with it. I located the unit 2 months later with a broken power switch... NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I tried to have it repaired, but it was a whopping 19 days past warranty. Oh, the humanity!!!!

So, I'm in the market for a new one. I will NEVER buy a kindle, and my opinion of the iPad is "great, but only for online stuff, except it won't do flash which is 1/2 of what I want it to do...." So, I went to a a couple of electronic stores (Best Buy, Frys, etc...) to check out the new models with my SD card that had a couple of PDFs on it (some scans, some published) and other formats as well to try them out (i.e. .RTF, ePub, ect...)

The Daily Edition WINS! Hands down, and here's why:

1) That extra inch and a half made the scanned PDF's actually READABLE! The 505 had a huge problem with that.
2) The continued support for every file type I had was still there on the new edition (especially the e-Comics).
3) The e-Comics were MUCH more readable than on the 505 and slightly better than the 600.
4) The accessories made me happy. Especially the carry case (which I can put other things in as well)
5) The note taking....yeah...that was a great addition.
6) The 3G not only being included, but free as well. This eliminates the need to sync up the reader with the PC when using the Sony store (which I use at lease once a week for free/super-cheap books).
7)The extra size lenghtwise makes for MUCH better reading in landscape while...
8) ...not changing the width of the unit. I loved my 505 because I could stick it in my back pocket and walk around with it. The end would stick out, but hey, that's groovy by me. The new unit will be just as good, though slightly higher up on my back than the 505 (by an inch and a half, so not much)
9) It's new and shiny! I must own all new and shiny things!!! lolz
10) Waffles...

So, without a doubt after spending about 20 min with both the 600 and the 900, I'm going with the 900. ESPECIALLY because of the PDF results in landscape mode when using a scanned PDF.

I get my bonus from work in about 2 weeks and it will be mine, oh yes...it WILL be mine (and no kids will get to use it, nor the wife, and it will be warrantied past the MFW)
Pollution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #19
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Word-touch dictionary access was a big deal to me, coming from a 505. Now I just have to remember I have it...
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #20
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I don't like the landscape mode, but hey, that's just me. The 900 is not yet (maybe never will) on the market here. But the 600 is way better than the 505 for pdfs. I also like the additional features over the 505. I still have the 505 and my wife reads more books, so that's nice.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
olguy
Enthusiast
olguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollution View Post

I get my bonus from work in about 2 weeks and it will be mine, oh yes...it WILL be mine (and no kids will get to use it, nor the wife, and it will be warrantied past the MFW)
If you know about Discover Card's shopping portal and SquareTrade warranties you need read no further and I know you will enjoy the 900.

Don't know where you're planning to buy nor how you're planning to pay for it but if you have a Discover Card you can log in on the Discover site and go through their portal to either Sony or Best Buy. If you do that and use the Discover card you get a 5% cash back on your card.

And for extended warranty you might want to check out http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ They have a current discount code of twtyoff that get's 20% off. I bought one from them including Accidental Handling Damage for $68 for 3 years. If you're not a klutz like me parts and labor coverage for 3 years is $39.
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another 5% cashback is buying through Bing (again at Best Buy, lol).
Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #23
olguy
Enthusiast
olguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Another 5% cashback is buying through Bing (again at Best Buy, lol).
I've never used Bing. Is it a portal? Discover Card is. You have to be logged on and click the link on their site. If you have to click a link off Bing then you probably can't double dip but at least it gives those folks without a Discover card a shot at a discount.
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #24
Penforhire
Wizard

Yeah, I don't think you can double-dip. Bing is Microsoft's search engine portal. If you search for an item using the Shopping tab it has an icon displayed for "cashback" offers. Sounds like it works exactly the same as the Discover click-though. I imagine you could pay the bill with a Discover card for another 2% cashback though...

Don't forget Sony is (at least as of a week ago) offering a $50 credit if you sign up for a Sony credit card when buying directly from SonyStyle. But make sure you add up all costs (shipping and possible tax) to compare.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #25
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I bought my Sony through Buy.com marketplace. I used Bing so I will get 4 percent back (about $12) in 60 days. Gave me a total price of about $257 including shipping.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote