Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #16
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaZorz View Post
As stated above you have no obligation to send them back to Amazon or even tell them about it. Though the right thing to do is tell them and return. Though to be honest I think you have more to loose by sending them back than not.
I don't think things that are right in relations between human beings apply to relations between a human being and a corporation. The business model surely includes such cases in calculation of overall delivery costs. Personally I would consider it lucky, as if I won in a lottery, just as I would consider it unlucky if they sent me a hundred Kindles and a pack of lawyers to make me pay for all of them as a result of some bureaucratical process spawned in the company's body. It's not human, reasoning doesn't apply to what it does.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #17
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Gah it would be so tempting, but I believe in Karma and keeping the extras would be dishonest.

It is ridiculous that you have to put yourself out to send them back. Amazon should have arranged something very easy considering it was their screw up.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #18
squeaky
squeaky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostcyborg View Post
I'm just irritated that I have to deal with shipping them back. They fixed it so I can print a shipping label, but they wouldn't even schedule to have UPS come pick them up. I have to drive to a UPS store now. I'm sitting here thinking I'm doing them such a huge favor, the least they could do is have the packages come picked up.
I bet my tongue-in-cheek response kinda makes you think twice, doesn't it?
squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #19
Revolutionarybum
Revolutionarybum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Donate one or two, not sure how many you have ? There's plenty of good people out there who will never know the joy of owning such a device. Have you taken your humanity Pill today ?
Revolutionarybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionarybum View Post
Donate one or two, not sure how many you have ? There's plenty of good people out there who will never know the joy of owning such a device. Have you taken your humanity Pill today ?
Have you taken your morality pill?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionarybum View Post
How is donating something not belonging to, nor paid for by you, 'humanity' oriented?

desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #22
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
I don't think things that are right in relations between human beings apply to relations between a human being and a corporation. The business model surely includes such cases in calculation of overall delivery costs.
You're depending on the corporation's business model for losses to derive your personal morality? Businesses also calculate in losses due to theft. So therefore thievery is ok, by that logic. Another example: The RIAA's (recording industry's) business model is crazy, as is the movie industry's, so I should always buy another copy of a movie I have on DVD if I want to watch it on my Zune? The answer would be "Yes," if my morality were derived from the corporation's business model.

Actually, I do the polar opposite of your "different treatment, depending" morality model that you're suggesting. I know I'm flawed, so I always try to apply the same morality to impersonal organizations as I do with personal friends and family. Just as practice. Stepping over the line in any one occasion... dangerous. I'm human, and the risk is that bad behavior with impersonal beings might bleed over into my personal relationships. Boy, I've lost a lot of silly money, but my morality muscle is more highly toned than it would be otherwise.

I was in this same situation with an extra HP Tablet PC, worth about $1,000 at the time. I returned it.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #23
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I suspect Amazon's kindle business model is getting people to buy the books for the kindle rather than buying the kindle itself. They replace them far too quickly for the kindle to be a great money maker in its own right, it is simply the tool to purchase. I think it sucks that you now have to go out of your way to return the kindles too btw. I would have contacted them and have them ready, but would expect Amazon to make the transfer at a time convenient to me.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it was me, I'd just hold onto the extra K2s until I was going to be someplace near a UPS store to send them back. But also, before I sent them back, I would check out the K2 opened and make sure all was well. That it looks good, works well, and does not fade in direct sunlight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #25
kalsctk
kalsctk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostcyborg View Post
I'm just irritated that I have to deal with shipping them back. They fixed it so I can print a shipping label, but they wouldn't even schedule to have UPS come pick them up. I have to drive to a UPS store now. I'm sitting here thinking I'm doing them such a huge favor, the least they could do is have the packages come picked up.

I agree with your irritation. But, I do not think you are doing them a huge favor. You are doing the right thing! Pat yourself on the back. You are getting good karma.
HECK, forget about patting yourself on the back. I pat you on the back and say you done good!
kalsctk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #26
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, yeah the least they could do is give you a gift cert for a couple of books, eh???
Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #27
frostcyborg
frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Well, I look at it this way: If you lost your wallet with $500 dollars in it and I found it, called you to let you know I found it, and told you all your money was still there, would you then demand that I drive to you to drop off your wallet? Or would you be very gracious, thank me for being honest enough to contact you and not steal your money, and then come pick it up as quickly as possible. That's how I viewed their response.

Last edited by frostcyborg; 12-31-2009 at 01:43 PM.
frostcyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #28
frostcyborg
frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.frostcyborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Also, guess what just arrived today at work. A FOURTH KINDLE. I am NOT kidding... this is getting beyond funny and ridiculous. I wish I was making this up.

Ironically I wrote a email to Executive Customer Service expressing my frustration that the least they could do is have UPS come pick them up, so a nice ECS rep replied back and did that very thing. The UPS guy picked them up yesterday, and now I have ANOTHER one.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:46 PM   #29
kennyc

What? I think you've tapped into a vein or something! Eeek!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #30
frostcyborg

Tell me about it! I think I should order expensive electronic items from Amazon more often.