Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
ssophon
Enthusiast
ssophon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
That would be really nice, thanks.
ssophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
ssophon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

I will email direct to the factory and see if they can offer a firmware upgrade to get Thai on the EZ Reader Basic and Pocket PRO.

I cannot promise anything yet but I will try! The Pocket PRO supports almost every other Asian language so it is possible!

Thank you for asking!!
By the way, how is the possibility for Astak to have a new device coming in the near future soon. Such as bigger screen, touch screen, or dictionary?

Because if all these fetures are in place I would say that Astak will be in the front line. I found Nook from BN and kind of surprise about the new innovation but still want to see the actual product when it arrive.
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #18
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Dear All:

I will email direct to the factory and see if they can offer a firmware upgrade to get Thai on the EZ Reader Basic and Pocket PRO.

I cannot promise anything yet but I will try! The Pocket PRO supports almost every other Asian language so it is possible!

Thank you for asking!!
Thanks Robert. For me, I would give dictionary lookup function more priority than the Thai language support (I'm Thai) because Thai ebook is still in early stage, not so many published ebooks.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #19
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Thai language support and dictionary coming

Dear All:

The word I got back from the factory is as follows:

"Thank you for your mail.
Now we just have a trial version of Thai language support for one of our clients, our engineers are adjusting the firmware. They will try to upload the new firmware to you within this week."

Regarding the dictionary:

"About English Dictionary, that relates to the copyright issue, we can not put the dictionary data into the device without receiving the permission from dictionary owner.And our engineers want to make clear about the specific requirements about the dictionary function, for example, to look up a word by entering letters, or search the word from the current text (perhaps using hyperlinks)?"

Any suggestions on which would be preferred?
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #20
ssophon
Enthusiast

Totally agreed with Bthoven, dictionary is more important. I want to be able to lookup the word in the current text along with be able to enter the word as well. Similarly to Sony Touch/Amazon kindle.

I do understand that it is not so convenience since the device is not designed to have this function in the first place. That's why I ask if is there any new model that will support this. How about Mentor 6", will this device having a high chance for this feature.

To be honest, I already returned this device since it lack of the thing I want, dictionary, and it is slow. However, I am willing to buy any model that support my requirements. So, now I am considering a couple devices such as Sony Touch, Amazon Kindle, Nook from BN, and any device that matched to my requirement.

One think I like about Astak is the support and the response to what the customer need which really hard to get from those big guys. I hope that you can come up with the nice feature espeically dictionary which can convince me to have it back again in the near future.
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #21
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bigger screen, touchscreen, dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssophon View Post
By the way, how is the possibility for Astak to have a new device coming in the near future soon. Such as bigger screen, touch screen, or dictionary?

Because if all these fetures are in place I would say that Astak will be in the front line. I found Nook from BN and kind of surprise about the new innovation but still want to see the actual product when it arrive.
Dear ssophon:

I am surprised that you returned your Pocket PRO because it does not have a dictionary. Did not know this was that important.

We have been asking BOTH factories to include dictionary support on both the Mentor and the EZ Reader lines for 8 months. I do agree that we NEED dictionary support and IF it was up to me we would have it by now. I keep trying and I think they finally both understand.

Yes, new devices by Astak are clearly coming soon. We were thinking of a press release this morning stating that we would be showing Touch Screen, Wi-Fi, 3G, MID (Mobile Internet Devices), and 9.7 inch (with Flexi Screen) devices at CES. We decided to wait until we had definite info. Some of these will be coming out likely before Christmas. We do not have release yet in any of these devices so we have no details or features yet. We only know they are forthcoming in the next several months. CES (Consumer Electronics Show, January 7-10, 2010) is normally where the great majority of new products are seen as that event gets ALL of the press, media, amd reviewers.

Last edited by Robertb; 10-26-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #22
ssophon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Dear ssophon:

I am surprised that you returned your Pocket PRO because it does not have a dictionary. Did not know this was that important.

We have been asking BOTH factories to include dictionary support on both the Mentor and the EZ Reader lines for 8 months. I do agree that we NEED dictionary support and IF it was up to me we would have it by now. I keep trying and I think they finally both understand.

Yes, new devices by Astak are clearly coming soon. We issued a press release this morning stating that we would be showing Touch Screen, Wi-Fi, 3G, MID (Mobile Internet Devices), and 9.7 inch (with Flexi Screen) devices at CES. Some of these will be coming out likely before Christmas. We do not have release yet in any of these devices so we have no details or features yet. We only know they are forthcoming very soon. CES (Consumer Electronics Show, January 7-10, 2010) is normally where the great majority of new products are seen as that event gets ALL of the press, media, amd reviewers.
Thanks for the good news and the effort that you push. I have to say sorry that I did return the product. Initially, I thought that missing dictionary is ok for me but when the time went by I have a lot of problem of reading due to my English skill so I decided that dictionary is a MUST. And it slow, as said, when I open the book from SD card. I did not know it because that this is the nature when reading the book from outside source of internal memory. I still feel sorry that I should keep it but cannot help becaue I already returned.

Your information still bring me a hope. I will also wait for what will come out during that time. This help me to delay the decision of taking Sony Touch/Amazon Kindle. What you have stated is very nice feature which I really want to see. As said, for me, dictionary is important and it would be nice if Touch screen and 9.7" is included, 3G is not much interested for me. I am wondering how much it is going to cost to include all that. Hopefully you can bet the sony/amazon price. Ok, look to see your product and if it matched to my need then I will get it again.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #23
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
9.7 that is great

Robert B
Thanks for the information I am looking forward to the 9.7 screen so long as it does PDF reflow. That is my big want.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #24
Robertb

9.7 inch with pdf reflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Robert B
Thanks for the information I am looking forward to the 9.7 screen so long as it does PDF reflow. That is my big want.

Chuck
Dear Chuck:

We know that the 9.7 inch will do PDF reflow as it is going to have Adobe Digital Editions on it. I know there will be some great features on it... it will not at all be stripped... but we will also keep an eye out to keep the price low.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #25
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
That is great to know Robert B
I will not be able to monitor the forum after this Friday until about Thanksgiving I will be in Redmond WA in training. But I will be thinking about everyone in the Forum.

Enjoy
Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #26
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Thanks Robert for quick followup.

Great news for Thai support potential.

Regarding the dictionary, I believe there are a few free Eng-Eng ones, e.g. Webster 1913, Worldnet. Calling up dictionary during reading by pressing some button, use other buttons to choose any word within the page, press another button to confirm lookup; then showing a popup small box displaying the definition. I like most the way Pocketbook 301+ or 360 implements on dictionary lookup, very convenient and intuitive.

Your engineer should search the video demo in Youtube (keyword Pocketbook 301 or 360); or see my thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58606

Last edited by bthoven; 10-26-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #27
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Dear ssophon:

Hi Robert,

PP is my love at first sight. It is small, good ergonomic, support most ebook formats, right price, right oversea shipping charge, and leather case included. But lack of dictionary lookup, and Thai support really hold me back.

Now I found B&N Nook very interesting because of its support of dictionary lookup and eReader format; but no Thai, few formats, no case.

I may stick to reading on my iPhone for the time being.

In ebook reader industry, it really reflects...there is no perfect world...

Last edited by bthoven; 10-26-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #28
bthoven
Evangelist

Actually, there is a free Eng-Thai, Thai-Eng dictionary named "Lexitron". The website allows you to download the dictionary database, source code for Linux, etc; but you need to register first.

http://lexitron.nectec.or.th/2009_1/...nager/download

However, the website is in Thai; so if you want me to download and send them over to your engineer, please let me know. I'm more than happy to do so.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #29
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
"About English Dictionary, that relates to the copyright issue, we can not put the dictionary data into the device without receiving the permission from dictionary owner.And our engineers want to make clear about the specific requirements about the dictionary function, for example, to look up a word by entering letters, or search the word from the current text (perhaps using hyperlinks)?"

Any suggestions on which would be preferred?
Dictionary support isn't something that I personally have a need for (nor do I envision the need for) on the PP.

From a usability perspective I would feel searching the word from the current text and use of hyperlinks would be the better solution. Generally the users of a dictionary are more than likely going to want to have a definition of a word they are reading rather than the facility of a dictionary with search and browse functionality. Reading through reviews of readers with dictionary support the ability to select a word in the current text and have a definition displayed seems to be receiving some good praise. I have yet to come across anyone wanting to see a dictionary with a search or browse facility, this is not to say it is not of value - it is just something I have not read anyone having a need for on an e-reader.

Just my 2cents.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote