Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I was always told that one should never be seen reading a paperback with an embossed cover, because only proles read such things. Fortunately, this is not an issue with ebooks.
And then you have all the snobbery tied into the different sizes of paperbacks, and whether or not you're reading a paperback or hardback!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #17
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Hmm... I guess the equivalent with e-books would be animated covers...
I have been tempted...

But then I figured, I'd concentrate on creating manuscripts where some words are only visible at certain phases of the moon, and change the story completely...

nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #18
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
And then you have all the snobbery tied into the different sizes of paperbacks, and whether or not you're reading a paperback or hardback!
Round here it's enough to be seen with a REAL BOOK! Meaning, something not newspaper/magaziney. Even if it has embossed writing AND a naked female on the cover.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #19
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Hmm... I guess the equivalent with e-books would be animated covers...
Silly part is - I really like the idea. Even more, what about an intro trailer with sound instead of an inanimate cover?
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #20
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I'm a person who usually goes for book series, and recommendations (if you like this then you should read....). But I was hooked in by the cover of "Armageddon the musical" by Rankin. But then I was also hooked in by the cover of "Tits-out Teenage Terror Totty" by Stephen Wells, especially as it had the comment by Irvine Welsh of "F*cking Brilliant".

I wish I had bought more of the books by this publisher.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #21
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
But I was hooked in by the cover of "Armageddon the musical" by Rankin.
Was that the one with a Shoe with Wings (Blue Suede IIRC). Rankin does all of the cover designs himself

Last edited by PieOPah; 09-15-2009 at 08:11 AM.
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Silly part is - I really like the idea. Even more, what about an intro trailer with sound instead of an inanimate cover?
They usually call that a "commercial."

Bum-pah-bum-pah-bum-pah-bum-pah...

In a land where men are men and women make fun of them... comes a hero from the East... falsely accused... hounded by his enemies... who must now make his way in the strange, exotic land of San Diego...

Boom! Chatta-chatta-chatta-chatta-- Ka-boom! "Get down!" "Who's in charge here?!?--" "Incoming!!" Booomm!

"Dammit, turn that TV down, Pete! I can't hear myself think!"

"Sorry, Mike. Any luck finding out who blacklisted you?"

"No, but if I do, I'll make sure every spam e-mail ever written finds its way to their inbox..."

There will be no hiding... there will be no escape... from M.D. Schitz!

Denial of Service 2: Meet the Trojans! At a webstore near you!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #23
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Was that the one with a Shoe with Wings (Blue Suede IIRC). Rankin does all of the cover designs himself
I love those Rankin covers. He sculpts those weird objects himself for all his covers. They're brilliant little comedic moments of abstractness.

Here's some great examples of book cover design (when it's done properly it becomes a work of art in and of itself)

This is an amazing collection of Penguin Sci-Fi book covers http://www.penguinsciencefiction.org/

A general collection: http://covers.fwis.com/

the Book Cover Archive http://bookcoverarchive.com/?startrow=250
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #24
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I love those Rankin covers. He sculpts those weird objects himself for all his covers. They're brilliant little comedic moments of abstractness
I love the raygun he did fairly recently
Old 09-16-2009, 01:47 AM   #25
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
I love the raygun he did fairly recently
Doesn't ring any bells. Which book is that from?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:57 AM   #26
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
They usually call that a "commercial."

Bum-pah-bum-pah-bum-pah-bum-pah...

In a land where men are men and women make fun of them... comes a hero from the East... falsely accused... hounded by his enemies... who must now make his way in the strange, exotic land of San Diego...

Boom! Chatta-chatta-chatta-chatta-- Ka-boom! "Get down!" "Who's in charge here?!?--" "Incoming!!" Booomm!

"Dammit, turn that TV down, Pete! I can't hear myself think!"

"Sorry, Mike. Any luck finding out who blacklisted you?"

"No, but if I do, I'll make sure every spam e-mail ever written finds its way to their inbox..."

There will be no hiding... there will be no escape... from M.D. Schitz!

Denial of Service 2: Meet the Trojans! At a webstore near you!
Oh dear lord, that would be so immensly annoying i don't even know where to start
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #27
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Doesn't ring any bells. Which book is that from?
Retromancer - not surprised it doesn't ring any bells as the raygun is just a very small part of the cover, and drawn at that (top left corner):

The real one looks like this:
Old 09-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #28
PieOPah
Addict

Ah...

I'm still eagerly waiting for this one to be released. Unfortunately I have to wait until December (usually he releases in June/July).
Old 09-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #29
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Ah...

I'm still eagerly waiting for this one to be released. Unfortunately I have to wait until December (usually he releases in June/July).
I forgot it wasn't out yet His wife posted pics of the raygun on another forum I'm on back in February, and uses the one from the cover as her avatar there!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #30
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
I forgot it wasn't out yet His wife posted pics of the raygun on another forum I'm on back in February, and uses the one from the cover as her avatar there!
Which forum is that if you don't mind me asking?