Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
Jim Byram
Jim Byram began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
In one of the other threads about the new software somebody explains how to get round that, I think its the long thread with the download links.
Thanks. Bad software design considering that Win 7 will be released in 7 weeks and my fault for not testing compatibility settings.
Jim Byram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Use compatibility mode and choose XP or Vista. Why they do the check for "Vista and not later" instead of "Vista or later" is beyond me.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #18
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I also have the fuzzy covers on my PC install, at least on my comp that uses Vista. I haven't updated the library on my XP comp.
I used Calibre to change the metadata on my books I got from the Sony store and it shows fine in Calibre and on my Reader and memory cards but in the Sony library, it still shows the wrong infomation. I thought it was just because that was the library I used to download the books but the new version shows the same and I haven't used the library yet and no previous edition was installed on this comp. Any suggestions or should I just live with it?
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #19
morpheus
Aio, quantitas magna frum
morpheus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
No major issues here with EBL 3.0. It's a bit sluggish. I do like the new look.

Still no metadata editing.

I am seeing the low res book covers as well.

I can understand why they aren't supporting Windows 7 yet. It hasn't shipped. Sony is never ever on the cutting edge of Windows software. Just look at their Vaio's. I'd be surprised if Win 7 support makes it here before Xmas.

Overall I'm optimistic that Sony is at least doing some updates and even supporting ePub on the PRS500. I never expected that.
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #20
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
On mine, it initially displays a low res picture, but as soon as I page up or down my library the book covers become sharper and more detailed, or as much as they ever can be.
I don't have any speed or response issues, seems to work quite well in fact and much nicer that the old one I was running in a VM Windows machine.

imac, OSX 10.5.8
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #21
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I have a complaint. I download the ebook library software and it all went well but the book cover pictures are all fuzzy and out of focus. Is anyone else book covers when looking at it in the Thumbnail View out of focus?
Same here, that's been bothering me a lot.

And it does seem to be running slower than the previous version.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #22
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is it because the thumbnails are now larger?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:28 AM   #23
salty_seadog
salty_seadog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have a complaint that was a complaint in the previous version, the books are still not alphabetised by author surname, the list in the library arrange them STILL by the first name, have Sony never been into a Library?

Also I live in the UK, what happens if I set my region to USA?
salty_seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #24
mickeymammoth
mickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Forma
I installed 3.0 on my Intel Mac when booted into XP; doesn't run at all. Nothing happens, although the process is running. I was able to run it on the Mac side, but I have a PRS500, so no joy there. I had to find a version of 2.5 online and reinstall that to get anything to work. TOTAL BUST!
mickeymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #25
daisy76
daisy76 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader
I installed 3.0 and then borrowed a book from the library. Rather then it opening ADE it opened up the ebook library.
If I could just figure out how to ireturn books early.

* Just figured it out never mind*
daisy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #26
mimoviz
Enthusiast
mimoviz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I have the same problem. ALready highlighted it in another thread and they say its just a matter of changing the locale settings for Leopard 10.5.8. Since I dont have to do that because its locale is set for the US I just dont know.
Bad bad software design.
mimoviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #27
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
I've tried it twice on my windows xp machine and today I reinstalled version 2.5.00.09170. It ran great on the windows machine until I tried to load my lrf library. With over 7000 lrfs, it just wouldn't work. I could get the books to load and then nothing. I read that it started working for someone else here, so I reinstalled it and left it running for 4 hours. I still could only click on a book and lock it up. I deleted the kinoma and Sony Corp files and reopened the software and it works great without any lrfs. So for the 2nd time I uninstalled the 3.0 software and have the old stuff. It works and the new software doesn't offer me any reason to update. Maybe by the time I convert all my books to epub, I'll try again. With about 50 epubs, the 3.0 software worked great, but that doesn't help me right now. I also have it running on os x tiger and leopard and both of them lock up when I add all the lrfs. As for now, I just leave the library empty and add a single book from finder when I want to view it. At least I have a great lrf viewer on mac now.
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #28
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Here's a new one for you--the program was working fine, then something happened and I had to shut it down unexpectedly. Now it won't show my library, I can't load any books into my library, and even uninstalling and reinstalling the program hasn't helped. Is it possible for me to be able to get the old program back? I much preferred it.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #29
mimoviz
Enthusiast
mimoviz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Sorry wallflower75. You're now part of a very frustrated club.
mimoviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #30
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower75 View Post
Here's a new one for you--the program was working fine, then something happened and I had to shut it down unexpectedly. Now it won't show my library, I can't load any books into my library, and even uninstalling and reinstalling the program hasn't helped. Is it possible for me to be able to get the old program back? I much preferred it.
Look for the directory "Kinowa" (I think it's in Documents & Settings, Application Data, etc)

Delete it, then re-install 3.0.

I've had that fix similar "librarly won't load" problems.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote