Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
You can live indefinitely without the Sony Library software if you are using non-DRM e-books. When Sony didn't support Vista 64 (I hear they do now) I was sort of forced to stop using Sony's Library and turned to Calibre entirely. The only thing I miss is how it paginates each file before transfer, using the power of the PC's processor. Now I have to wait 20 to 60 seconds the first time I open a book (or change font size) on the 505.

I loved the OEM 'cardboard' cover... until the device-holder-hinge broke. That was odd because I only removed the 505 maybe three times in two years. Now using the M-edge cover and am happy again. The OEM cover was easier to fold 180-degrees (how I read). The M-edge does that too but also has the closure strap hanging awkwardly (I tend to tuck it in reversed). I expect I'll wear out the cover and just buy another if I'm not using a new reader by then.

I guess I haven't investigated the Kindle enough but I thought you could use it for non-DRM books as well? I'm not clear on why you "need" the 505 for those. Is there insufficient format conversion in Calibre or elsewhere?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Yes, I have been reading non-drm books on my kindle. But my library books have drm that have to be removed and then converted for the Kindle. I bought the Sony so I could just read epub and pdf books without the hassle.

I love the cover that comes with the Sony. The only drawback I've found is that its too thin for my Mighty Brite to clip securely. Any light suggestions to use with the original cover? I am considering the M-Edge because the leather covers are only $15 right now..and after reading about the Sony hinge issues thought it might make sense to pick up an inexpensive spare while I can.

The hacks sound cool and maybe when I have some time, I'll try to get more adventurous.

As I spend more time with the Sony, I'm adjusting to the hold...and I have to admit that after a week of reading with the Sony, I was surprised how clunky my Kindle felt reading on it today Maybe I now need to spring for a Kindle 2 to supplement my Sony
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #18
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I know you mentioned not reading any lrf formatted books, but there are tons of great books posted here in the uploads forum that might be worth checking out. If you like current books, I recommend checking out the e-library options (if you haven't already!). The NY public library has a pretty large (but sporadic) collection.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #19
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Yes, I have been reading non-drm books on my kindle. But my library books have drm that have to be removed and then converted for the Kindle. I bought the Sony so I could just read epub and pdf books without the hassle.

I love the cover that comes with the Sony. The only drawback I've found is that its too thin for my Mighty Brite to clip securely. Any light suggestions to use with the original cover? I am considering the M-Edge because the leather covers are only $15 right now..and after reading about the Sony hinge issues thought it might make sense to pick up an inexpensive spare while I can.

The hacks sound cool and maybe when I have some time, I'll try to get more adventurous.

As I spend more time with the Sony, I'm adjusting to the hold...and I have to admit that after a week of reading with the Sony, I was surprised how clunky my Kindle felt reading on it today Maybe I now need to spring for a Kindle 2 to supplement my Sony
I have one of the older M-edge covers and I love it - very sturdy and I do clip a Mighty Bright light on it and it works fine.

The PRS Customizer is fairly easy to use and I love having another page turn button and the clock. I also changed the default font (which is a bit trickier, but there are very good instructions here on the forum).

I love my PRS-505 - even the newer ones Sony is bringing out don't entice me away from it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #20
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I finally bothered to hack my reader earlier today. Uniform fonts got rid of my biggest peeve (I hated the varying sizes in my library) and the third page button is nice (especially without that little cutout).

I'm very happy with my 505.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Thank you..but I tried this but when that happens, it brings me to the book's menu and when I select "Continued Reading", it brings me back to the cover..not to where I was

I downloaded the user guide...but I don't have the attention span to go through it
I just double checked and in the ePub book I am reading I just pressed 1 and it brought up the go to page bit. I pressed menu and went right back out of the go to page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #22
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just double checked and in the ePub book I am reading I just pressed 1 and it brought up the go to page bit. I pressed menu and went right back out of the go to page.
Yep...you and Ruth are right..I have no idea what I was doing

Maybe when I have more time, I'll play with the hacks

Now if the Boston Public Library would only add more books...its been awhile (longer than usual) and I hope they haven't stopped now that I finally got my Sony reader.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
Boston
Fanatic

Another dumb/lazy question

Is there a way to create Collections without using the Sony software?

I've been dragging and dropping books using Windows Explorer. If I create a sub-folder under books, my reader sees the books but doesn't store it as a collection.

I really don't want to use install and another software package if I don't need to
Old 08-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #24
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If you don't want to use the Sony software, your best bet is to use Calibre. There really isn't any way to organize collections without using one of the two.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #25
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
If you don't want to use the Sony software, your best bet is to use Calibre. There really isn't any way to organize collections without using one of the two.

I just tried to give the Sony Software a quick drive and didn't care for it...so I'm using Calibre and it works wonderfully

I used Calibre in the past to convert books for my Kindle but had been hoping to avoid a middle software step. I read and delete but I do have some books that are part of series..and the Collections is a big feature missing from my Kindle. Love it!

Guess I will try to move the rest of my library into Calibre..never had a big need to use it to organize my library since I mostly delete after reading..but I guess it will now be the one organized part of my life