Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: When do you butter your toast?
I butter it in sections, after its cooled..... 5 4.46%
I butter it while its still warm so the butter melts into the toast 86 76.79%
The blue German vegetarian Fish that lives in Portugal but eats meat. 15 13.39%
I butter my toast cool but not in sections 6 5.36%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How you use a knife and fork certainly is a difference - and is one of those things which really surprised me when I noticed. Americans generally cut up their food, then put down the knife, and eat using only the fork. British people (and other Europeans too) hold the knife and fork at all times.
I picked up that habit from traveling, and it has stuck. I'll get a strange look sometimes, and feel all sophisticated and snooty when I say, "Oh, don't mind me, that is the way I started eating when we were in Italy. Everyone in Europe does it this way."

What they don't know is that it also allows you to eat more without having to pause between cuts!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's one of those strange things, though, isn't it? I know that it never even occurred to me that there were other ways to use a knife and fork. When you see someone do it differently you just think "that's wierd...." .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #18
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
It's one of those strange things, though, isn't it? I know that it never even occurred to me that there were other ways to use a knife and fork. When you see someone do it differently you just think "that's wierd...." .

one learns something new everyday .... by 'eck some of us even turn our fork over to eat peas and things ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #19
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In Canterbury Tales, the Prioress' table manners are described in great detail. How she will daintily turn the cup to a place without a someone's greasy lip print before drinking. Stuff like that. It's a hoot to read her story!

I need to re-read CT. Some of the stories are beginning to blend together in my memory.

Last edited by DixieGal; 06-29-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
How you use a knife and fork certainly is a difference - and is one of those things which really surprised me when I noticed. Americans generally cut up their food, then put down the knife, and eat using only the fork. British people (and other Europeans too) hold the knife and fork at all times.
I came back from my first tour of Germany eating that way. my mother was appalled, having insisted on the utmost of decorum at the table at all times. I informed her that this was the way one ate at 4star hotels all across Europe, and besides which it made SENSE! I eat that way to this day as do my children. how the other style ever cropped up is beyond me!

I rarely eat toast. mostly only for hot sandwiches, and if that is the case, I don't butter it anyway
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #21
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I like my toast made from fresh whole grain bread, I like it hot, and I don't want anything on it. I want to smell and taste the bread. I recall my first breakfast in the UK when my toast (it was a white bread) was brought out on a rack so that it was completely room temperature and served with all sorts of butter, marmelade, and such. Why toast bread at all if you're going to serve it cold? Sorry, but it was definitely not my cup of tea.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I was taught from an early age........you cut your food, then put the knife down, your spare hand in you lap, and eat with your fork.

Elbows on the table, or more than one hand at a time eating got a fork in the arm! Seriously........

And we were pooooor. My mom always said you could be poor, but you didn't have to eat or smell like a pig.

Go figure.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #23
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I love those belgian gaufres de Liège, ya know, warm, a little yeasty with a bit of butter. Eat it warm!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	prod_sucre.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	31364

Last edited by mtravellerh; 06-29-2009 at 01:35 PM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #24
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Waffles!!! (fixed link, thanks WDE)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #25
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
.... by 'eck some of us even turn our fork over to eat peas and things ...
I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life. It makes the peas taste funny, but it keeps them on the knife.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #26
maidavale
You folks stay classy.
maidavale is on a distinguished road

Device: Anything w/ Pixel Qi (c. 2010 4Q)
I wonder if the difference HarryT describes had arisen due to differences in dishes in the respective cultures. A lot of British dishes seem to have bed (e.g. of mash) under the main ingredient, while American cooking has grilled food, w/ a lot of vegetables on the side.

Watching something like MasterChef on the Beeb (via streaming) certainly shows how the food critics over there gather all the ingredients on the dish using knife & fork - makes sense w/ such dishes, b/c flavor might be too bland if you only eat the meat, for example. You don't see that as a lot w/ people tasting American dishes.
maidavale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #27
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life. It makes the peas taste funny, but it keeps them on the knife.
Flashback to 3rd Grade!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #28
DixieGal
Hi There!

At a wedding the other evening, I had to explain to my table mates (in-laws) about capers. So then they tried them, and went back for little saucers of them (and large plates of shrimp). They thought that capers were just some sort of raisins and had pushed them aside on their plates because raisins aren't supposed to taste like that!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #29
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Can anyone still get margarine?

They don't sell it any more in the UK.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #30
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by maidavale View Post
I wonder if the difference HarryT describes had arisen due to differences in dishes in the respective cultures. A lot of British dishes seem to have bed (e.g. of mash) under the main ingredient, while American cooking has grilled food, w/ a lot of vegetables on the side.

Watching something like MasterChef on the Beeb (via streaming) certainly shows how the food critics over there gather all the ingredients on the dish using knife & fork - makes sense w/ such dishes, b/c flavor might be too bland if you only eat the meat, for example. You don't see that as a lot w/ people tasting American dishes.
it's used all across Europe, not just the Brits
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote