Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Brand Netbook Do You Have?
Acer 16 14.04%
Asus 36 31.58%
Dell 3 2.63%
HP 4 3.51%
Lenovo 3 2.63%
MSI Wind 5 4.39%
Samsung 7 6.14%
Sony 2 1.75%
Waste of Money, wouldn't have one 3 2.63%
Don't have one, just want to see how this poll works out. 31 27.19%
other (please explain) 5 4.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I may never speak to you again DesertGrandma (if that is your real name)! You made me buy this netbook. Now give me some money to pay for it. Luckily for you, I already have a purse big enough to carry it and my Kindle.

I guess I have to go vote in the poll now.

You'll have to find the money elsewhere. I'll be selling my extra K1 here soon to pay for mine..........and while I STILL haven't decided...........its fun looking!

Congrats on your new 'baby'...........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I

I also bought a Logitech wireless mouse (of the type where the USB bluetooth only sticks out about 1/4 inch from the computer ... so I can leave it plugged in all the time and still put the computer in its case).
I have that one on my laptop.......its awesome. The nano......
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #18
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I have that one on my laptop.......its awesome. The nano......
Yeah, that's the one.

Daffy's netbook is nice, but on the whole, I prefer black computers to white ones (one of the many reasons I've never been that nuts about Apple computers, most of them seem to be blindingly white).

Also, the Asus Eee 1000HE has pretty much the same specs (you would have to add another stick of RAM, which as I recall cost about $30), for a whole lot less money.

1000HE

Now, I like HP, or at least I used to like HP. I bought a lot of their products over the past 20 years. However, I have found myself drifting towards other brands (in printers and laptops mostly) simply because my HP products were more expensive without always being more reliable.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I bought the Acer because at the time it provided the most for less or the same as the Asus (the Acer had 120 Gig Hard Drive and XP). I bought it to use for Music (was not much more than a high end MP3 player of Ipod) and to read and store my e-book collection.

I use it all the time and hardly use my other Desk Top PC's, and MP3 players.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Yeah, that's the one.

Daffy's netbook is nice, but on the whole, I prefer black computers to white ones (one of the many reasons I've never been that nuts about Apple computers, most of them seem to be blindingly white).
It's actually not white. It's a metal case.

Quote:
The simple, refined design and all-aluminum case make it sleek, sturdy and lightweight. Features such as HP DuraKeys, magnesium alloy support structure, and HP 3D DriveGuard make a durable mini-note PC that can go the distance.
The main reason I went with this model was the Express Card slot for my broadband card. It keeps it compatible with my other laptops (the older one I will now be selling).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The main reason I went with this model was the Express Card slot for my broadband card. It keeps it compatible with my other laptops (the older one I will now be selling).
See? As I've said before, netbooks are much like dedicated E-book readers in that everyone is looking for something different, and there is one out there for anyone!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #22
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Not sure if mine is really a netbook : it's a HTC Shift, between a tablet PC and a Pocket PC !

I don't use it as an ebook reader though, because I can't switch the screen in portrait mode...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
I just purchased the Asus EeePC 1000HE. It's a great netbook. More importantly, you can't beat the 7+ hour battery life.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #24
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I've got the asus eee 701 4g, first netbook to hit the market (modified with eeebuntu) its still running strong. and I have used it plugget into a full monitor where it works nicely.

currently I gave it to my girlfriend for school, she only needs to use it about 1ce a week, maybe twice, but its light enough for her to carry it with her all the time
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #25
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
My husband just ordered the Asus 1000HE for me for my birthday (since I am a techno gadget freek, it was that or the Ipod touch ). We looked at the Dell and the HP at Best Buy, but chose the Asus because the screen seemed to stand a little higher, making viewing easier. We were hoping to get one with the 16G solid state drive but it was only available on the Asus models running a Celeron processor so we had to settle for the 160G hard disk.

It was a real toss up between the Asus and the HP. Like Daffy4u, I liked the expansion slot on the HP and the keys are just a touch bigger making typing a little easier. Another point to keep in mind is that the operating system on the HP (and I'm assuming all those running Windows XP) will take up 8GB of your 16G drive, so it might be better to order it from HP and upgrade to the 32G ssd. The picture folder on my laptop already has 1.5 G's of pictures so I would think it could be fairly easy to fill up the other 8G if you don't upgrade.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:13 AM   #26
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

So, does the XP come with a lot of software you can delete to make more room?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:17 AM   #27
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
This is my fourth day with my Sony. I did have a 160gb eeepc but it felt cheap and it was the same size but heavier than my old Sony laptop. I got this Sony because it's very light and I don't drive but go everywhere on public transport and I can easily carry this in my totebag
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #28
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
As I said before, I bought my Samsung NC10 before the EeePC HE1000 came out but I am not sorry. It has a battery which lasts about 6 hours on ordinary tasks and that is more than enough for me. I use the Logitech Bluetooth mouse with it. That way it does not take up a USB slot and has nothing sticking out of the side. It is also about a hundred grams lighter than the HE1000 and slightly smaller. Here is a good site for more info on the Samsung:
http://www.laptopmag.com/l/samsung-nc10.aspx
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #29
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
I have and would still buy an Asus EeePC 701 4G. Why?

Because I hate laptops. They are pointless devices for me when I have broadband at home and mobile broadband I can use with it. I can easily access all my machines at home securely. And even with 4gb hdd space that's plenty of room for my own needs. If I need more I can always hook in a few 8gb or more usb flash drives or an sd card. The only thing I wish is for a bigger keyboard though I might have found a solution for that as well
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #30
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
So, does the XP come with a lot of software you can delete to make more room?
"The" XP is the operating system, and no .... the operating system needs the space it needs. The netbooks don't tend to come with a whole lot of bloatware.

That's why I think you should definitely get a netbook with the largest HD you can. Mine has 160GB, and that is plenty for most purposes.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote