Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If the Kindle TTS is disabled the copyright holder has explicitly chosen to do so and it is reasonable to assume that all other ebook versions also have TTS disabled. So, absent information about "authorized entities" (who make ebooks available to the visually impaired), this exception does apply at a minimum to removing the DRM for TTS on the Kindle. To me, if you want to use the Kindle'sTTS and are prevented from doing so you are adversely affected. Re-enabling the Kindle's TTS involves leaving the encryption in place and deleting one entry in the metadata. This is minimal intrusion on the DRM, and so far as I can tell entirely legal for personal use in the US. Actually, there is no possibility of non-personal use since the ebook is still tied to a single Kindle by the DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
How could you not see it? I quoted it:
Did you read your quote?

Quote:
(...)that noninfringing uses by persons who are users of a copyrighted work are, or are likely to be, adversely affected,
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
If you wear glasses, I would maintain that you are obviously visually impaired otherwise there would be no need to wear glasses to correct your vision. Or is there a legal definition somewhere that provides a quantitative definition of visual impairment, as is the case for "legally blind"?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If the Kindle TTS is disabled the copyright holder has explicitly chosen to do so and it is reasonable to assume that all other ebook versions also have TTS disabled. So, absent information about "authorized entities" (who make ebooks available to the visually impaired), this exception does apply at a minimum to removing the DRM for TTS on the Kindle. To me, if you want to use the Kindle'sTTS and are prevented from doing so you are adversely affected. Re-enabling the Kindle's TTS involves leaving the encryption in place and deleting one entry in the metadata. This is minimal intrusion on the DRM, and so far as I can tell entirely legal for personal use in the US. Actually, there is no possibility of non-personal use since the ebook is still tied to a single Kindle by the DRM.
Exactly my point: in cases like this they ought to look at what the DMCA wanted to achieve - and that's prevent making unathorized copies etc.

Since Kindle books are already tied to a single device there's no meaningful ground to attack a person who removes the DRM to enable TTS.

Of course, in my understanding the exemption is already there so any way I look at it I think a sane judge should throw out a case about this immediately.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
If you do not _need_ the TTS ability (by being visually impaired, for example) then you are not adversely affected by its absence. Wanting the ability is not the same thing.
The law does not say anything about "needing" TTS due to a disability, etc.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #21
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In the exception that group is defined as the visually impaired.
Where? I see nothing in the exception that defines the group as visually impaired. The words "visually impaired" don't even appear anywhere in it.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #22
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
How could you not see it? I quoted it:
Maybe I'm blind and don't know it. But I don't see "visually impaired" anywhere in your quote.

The law says users who are adversely affected, it does NOT define what that means. Your notion that "adversely affected" means "visually impaired" is your opinion only. It is not what the law says.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #23
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
They could easily prevent this kind of legal circumvention by releasing a TTS enabled version at $1000
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
They could easily prevent this kind of legal circumvention by releasing a TTS enabled version at $1000
Or they could just get out their trusty cassette recorder, dust it off, and record a playback of TTS on their own book before disabling it. They could then offer to sell the cassette tape.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #25
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamm View Post
Well, unfortunately the jury-based system, is anything but a solid ground for even the most obvious cases...
Actually, no. This is a legal question that would be decided by a judge.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #26
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Actually, no. This is a legal question that would be decided by a judge.
I was referring to a case-by-case basis... if you're referring to precedents you're probably right.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #27
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Or they could just get out their trusty cassette recorder, dust it off, and record a playback of TTS on their own book before disabling it. They could then offer to sell the cassette tape.

Dale
That's not an ebook, sorry.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #28
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Quite the contrary such a move would be devastating for them: it'd immediately show their real intent, namely to eliminate the TTS option to protect their revenues from the sales of audiobooks - most likely it would be oil to the exemtion fire, wider and wider exemptions would be introduced because of this.

No matter what they do it's a lost cause for them, to block TTS.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #29
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamm View Post
I was referring to a case-by-case basis... if you're referring to precedents you're probably right.
I still don't think it matters. A jury decides guilty or not guilty. The judge decides on points of law. The judge would be the one that provided the legal interpretation of "adversely affected" to the jury, probably as "jury instructions" before their deliberation.

I don't think it would be up to the jury to decide what the definition of "adversely affected" is.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Nope. You need to see the related section of the DMCA. You can only remove the DRM if you are in the affected group. This means you have to be visually impaired.

Just a second, I will go dig it up.
I do wear glasses for distant vision when I drive or go to the movies. But as for reading close up, I can see fine. But technically, this does make me visually impaired. And thus, legally able to strip the DRM.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-15-2009 at 02:46 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote