I don't need to look at the keyboard / (Touch-typist) 51 64.56%
Mostly use speech typing 0 0%
Mostly someone else types for me !!!! 1 1.27%
Any method not on this list ... .. please explain .... 6 7.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #16
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I told all 4 of my nieces when they were in their teens that they should learn to type because they will need to know how, but never put it on a resume. Not long ago, it was a fast track into a nice cushy office job. For young girls coming up now, however, it seems to lock them into the "secretarial pool" mindset of potential employers.

It worked for my nieces. They all grew up to make careers bossing around the people who do the typing.

(I think they did whatever I suggested to them all their lives, because I was the "fun" aunt and as opposite as I could possibly be from their mother. Who would imagine me as a role model!)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
well now, I wouldn't have a job if I wasn't a touch typist.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Great photo. It was incredibly frustrating when the red and black ink ribbons got tangled up -- or was that just me?
Not just you! Of course not! And having to clean the ink out of the letters every so often. And getting ink on your fingers when you changed ribbons. And using carbon paper to make copies. And the fact that you needed enough free space on your desk for the carriage to go out to the left as you typed. Man, I'm gonna start crying in a minute.

To be clear, that's a photo from a university collection of old business machines, not my personal photo:

(http://library.rider.edu/special_col...ters/L-027.jpg)
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #19
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Great photo. It was incredibly frustrating when the red and black ink ribbons got tangled up -- or was that just me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleDude View Post
Yeah, and the pressure you had to use on the keys. Whole different experience.

At the time I got rid of that beast, I was glad. Now looking at the picture, I feel a bit...wistful.

sigh ... it's funny what triggers nostalgia, isn't it?

Those tangled ribbons were from hitting a handful of keys accidentally. Poor thing would tie itself into a big mangled knot.

I still type very hard, work the letters right off the keyboards very quickly.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #20
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm a touch typist with a pretty fast wpm rate. I find I make more errors today than say 15-20 years ago, but to some extent it's because I'm often multitasking when I'm typing. Like now, for example, the hubby is watching a show on the History channel. So at the same time that I'm composing my response and typing, my brain is processing the words that my ears are picking up. I'm not paying much attention to the TV, but as it is about 15 feet away, I cannot ignore it totally.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
This is the one I have (in the attic) and apparently its worth $500???!!! They'd have to give me a million to part with it. It's a Remington Deluxe Model 5. My uncle gave it to me as a gift when I was really young and first showed an interest in writing. And just to clarify, I'm 34 years old, not 80 or anything. We learned on manual electric typewriters, the Remington was more fun though, and made me feel more like a Private Eye!

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-19-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #22
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I also remember typing college term papers then deciding I needed to re-structure the essay -- cutting it up and having bits of paper strewn around the room while I tried to re-type it all! Trying to get footnotes in the right place was a nightmare as well.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #23
KindleDude
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
This is the one I have (in the attic) and apparently its worth $500???!!! They'd have to give me a million to part with it. It's a Remington Deluxe Model 5. My uncle gave it to me as a gift when I was really young and first showed an interest in writing.

Beautiful.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #24
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I can touch type, but only when I am answering on the forum and I am so absorbed in a text I want to type that I forget that I am actually touch typing. Then I realize that I have been touch typing for the last few minutes and I have to look at the keyboard again ;-)

Let me try again.

I can touch type, but mostly only when I am not aware that I am actually touch typing.

I know. Doesn't make sense ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #25
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
I also remember typing college term papers then deciding I needed to re-structure the essay -- cutting it up and having bits of paper strewn around the room while I tried to re-type it all! Trying to get footnotes in the right place was a nightmare as well.
You just reminded me! An old lady at church had written a book about the history of our community. Boring as all get-out. But she asked my mom to let us type it and paid my sister and me $2 a page . So we young teenagers slaved over that yellow manual typewriter. Then she wanted to make a change, which meant retyping half of the horrible thing. And then she refused to pay us for the retyping!

But I did make a good bit of treat money by typing term papers in college.

I loaned the typewriter to a student of mine. Her boyfriend took it and it was never seen again.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #26
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I can touch type, but only when I am answering on the forum and I am so absorbed in a text I want to type that I forget that I am actually touch typing. Then I realize that I have been touch typing for the last few minutes and I have to look at the keyboard again ;-)

Let me try again.

I can touch type, but mostly only when I am not aware that I am actually touch typing.

I know. Doesn't make sense ...
I'd say you are pretty darned talented, seeing as how you are a monitor on wheels and no fingers at all in the first place.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #27
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Your great photo really brings back memories. Long, long ago I took a touch typing class before leaving Secondary School. (High School). Since I only type for very short periods during the day my speed has fallen a little. But I'm no slouch either. I love the rhythm of typing. When I think of the noise those machines made especially when the whole class was in action. Talk about The Bells! The Bells!......The noise! The noise! Thanks for the memory, and thanks for the photo KindleDude.

Slan
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #28
KindleDude
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
Your great photo really brings back memories. Long, long ago I took a touch typing class before leaving Secondary School. (High School). Since I only type for very short periods during the day my speed has fallen a little. But I'm no slouch either. I love the rhythm of typing. When I think of the noise those machines made especially when the whole class was in action. Talk about The Bells! The Bells!......The noise! The noise! Thanks for the memory, and thanks for the photo KindleDude.

Slan
Maggie, thanks! The photo is actually one from a university archive, but that is the machine I used to have. One of them, anyway--I also had a manual portable for a while, but I don't remember the model. Yes, I do remember the bell when you got to the end of a line. I think all that noise was normal back then, no one thought much of it. It's only now in retrospect that we do. My theory, anyway.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #29
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Touch type, every letter and special character on the keyboard.

I used be able to type programming code and carry on a conversation at the same time.

Speed somewhere between 75-95 wpm depending on how complicated.

Top of the class in grade 10 typing, beat all the business girls.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #30
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I can type pretty fast when I'm creating. Just don't ask me to coppy anything. I have to look a the keyboard, even though, when I really get going, I don't actually focus on it. An these days, I really need the spell check function.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote