Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Engadget typed the right thing .... they said "SIM". It would have been insane of Amazon to have space for an SD card and not provide access to it.

Not having access to a SIM card is not quite the same thing. A different SIM card installed might, for example, make the Kindle Whispernet useable on European phone systems. So, they might install a SIM in advance of selling a K2 in a new market.

A SIM is a smaller card, but I could tell from the context of the article that they weren't talking about SD. I probably would have bought one if they had SD.
I agree.... I think this points to a euro version of the Kindle down the road.
kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
battery is 3.7 V, 1530 mAh lithium polymer....hmmm same as Kindle I
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
battery is 3.7 V, 1530 mAh lithium polymer....hmmm same as Kindle I

If this is true, how is it 'better'? Does the K2 use less power?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #19
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
I agree.... I think this points to a euro version of the Kindle down the road.
Oh crap .... your signature almost had me slapping my laptop screen!!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #20
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well, you know .... 25 percent battery life improvement is not that much of a jump.
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, you know .... 25 percent battery life improvement is not that much of a jump.
Okay,..........then why didn't they make it user replaceable and why are they going to charge you $59 to replace it plus shipping both ways after the first year?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #22
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Okay,..........then why didn't they make it user replaceable and why are they going to charge you $59 to replace it plus shipping both ways after the first year?
They didn't make it user replaceable because that's one of the things you sacrifice when you make the product that thin. I'm sure there were two thoughts with regard to changing the battery .... 1. if we have the user send it in, we'll make more money (I call this the Apple model) and 2. if we let the user change the battery, you just know they are going to break this thing.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #23
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
They didn't make it user replaceable because that's one of the things you sacrifice when you make the product that thin. I'm sure there were two thoughts with regard to changing the battery .... 1. if we have the user send it in, we'll make more money (I call this the Apple model) and 2. if we let the user change the battery, you just know they are going to break this thing.

ppfffttttt! Its a control issue, plain and simple.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #24
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
that darned power hungry memory card slot

Quote:
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #25
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
that darned power hungry memory card slot
I would think the more powerful processor would counteract that
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #26
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by detacht69 View Post
I would think the more powerful processor would counteract that
Actually it's relatively common for process improvements and other revisions to bring power usage down even when the processor performance goes up.

If (for example) the K2 processor is 55 nanometer and the K1 was 65 nanometer, the new processor could easily use less power. I don't know which process they're using, or whether they're using a newer CPU revision, but a more powerful processor doesn't always mean more power usage.

Partial screen redraws, and the removal of the secondary LCD display are also going to reduce power draw. When you add that to the power savings from removing the card slot, it's no surprise they get 25% more usage from the same battery.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #27
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
They also had announced that they had an active power management chip in the new Kindle, missing from the old. The SD card when not used was probably not a power draw, but when a card is inserted, it definitely does impact battery life (but they would not be able to use this in their claim of added life, since the old life figures were with no SD card inserted).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #28
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
What does it mean, that pilotbob has "gone all green"? Congratulations to him, of course, but I'd like to know what I'm congratulating him <i>for</i>.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
What does it mean, that pilotbob has "gone all green"? Congratulations to him, of course, but I'd like to know what I'm congratulating him <i>for</i>.
He's a "mod"......a 'caretaker', if you will. Someone who watches out for us........and watches us............
Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #30
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Getting back on track -

If it's a CDMA module, then it's probably a R-UIM card, which is like a SIM card but for CDMA

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-ruim-card.htm tells the story. This page has links to explain SIM cards too. Just trying to be helpful.

Speaking of power and processors - someone might want to consider - faster CPUs get things done more quickly. Everything else being equal, less "on time", less power. I'm not sure everything is equal, since energy rises with frequency (if I remember some old science class correctly), but then one of you said smaller is better, so maybe the speed thing matters somewhat for CPU intensive certain tasks.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote