Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #16
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Hmmmm, guess the tender age of sixty is topping out this thread but I dare anyone to call me "senior" cause I'm far from that status! LOL
My mother-in-law is pushing 70 and can run rings around most people half her age. It's truly a state of mind.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #17
moxy789
moxy789 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I was rather surprised to find the entire Twilight series, young adult literature, listed in the top 10 bestselling Kindle Books. Wouldn't that indicate that many Kindle users are also young? Or at least parents are sharing their Kindles with their children?
moxy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxy789 View Post
I was rather surprised to find the entire Twilight series, young adult literature, listed in the top 10 bestselling Kindle Books. Wouldn't that indicate that many Kindle users are also young? Or at least parents are sharing their Kindles with their children?
Or maybe it's not just young adults reading that stuff. I like alot of young adult stuff myself.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Or maybe it's not just young adults reading that stuff. I like alot of young adult stuff myself.

BOb
Agree... I finished the Harry Potter series before all of my kids.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #20
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I am in my late 40's and bought the first book in the Twighlight series because the (admittedly much younger) girls at work were all talking and raving about them. So I figured that since I liked Harry Potter, I'd give it a try.

That being said, its been sitting on my Kindle unread for awhile

p.s. My mother who is in her 70's is also now a proud Kindle owner, but you won't find her on any internet boards
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #21
moxy789
moxy789 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I am in my late 40's and bought the first book in the Twighlight series because the (admittedly much younger) girls at work were all talking and raving about them. So I figured that since I liked Harry Potter, I'd give it a try.

That being said, its been sitting on my Kindle unread for awhile

p.s. My mother who is in her 70's is also now a proud Kindle owner, but you won't find her on any internet boards
I fell for the same argument. The students I tutored recommended the books to me on the basis that I loved the Harry Potter series. It took me a hurricane and 2 weeks without electricity to find the incentive to finish them. I think it's rather misleading to say that the Twilight series is comparable to the Harry Potter series.
moxy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #22
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm at the older end of the spectrum, not quite 60. My younger sister and her 25-year-old daughter also have Kindles, both on my account -- which lets us share books.

Speaking of the Twilight series: I don't know where it is, but someone wrote in her blog, "J K Rowling proved that young adult novels can be 500 pages long and Stephanie Meyer proved that some shouldn't be." I've traced it to LiveJournal, but not to the the person who coined it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #23
bailey1313
bailey1313 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I think that mid 40's is right. I am early 50's and I love my techie toys. the more the better. The newer the better. lol
cin
bailey1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
"J K Rowling proved that young adult novels can be 500 pages long and Stephanie Meyer proved that some shouldn't be."

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #25
pengrus
Enthusiast
pengrus began at the beginning.

Why don't we add a poll in this thread?
pengrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #26
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I vote for "Older than 25". If you are younger and you have $359 to spend, you'll buy an iPhone.
Steve Jobs says nobody reads books - but who are Apple's customers? Cool people, so he is biased..
Who buys a Kindle? book readers. Who reads books instead of facebook, twitter, etc. ? And who has disposable income? Figure it out. hint: "old" people.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 AM   #27
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Just remember 50 is the new 30!

I fell for the Twilight line as well. That is the worst literature I have read in ages! And I thouroughly enjoyed all of H.P.!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #28
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Agree... I finished the Harry Potter series before all of my kids.
Now if only I could find Deathly Hallows for my Kindle I'd be a happy girl... er, average Kindle user. Waiting 2 years for the pback version is just wrong.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 AM   #29
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

As much as I love JK's writing, someone needs to slap her. She is vehemently opposed to e-readers.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:48 AM   #30
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
As much as I love JK's writing, someone needs to slap her. She is vehemently opposed to e-readers.
I figured either she or Scholastic were. I'm sure somewhere there's an interview where it's discussed that children need to get away from electronics; that books are sensory experiences and shouldn't be tied to devices, yadda yadda.

Doesn't surprise me, but does disappoint. After all, aren't ebooks rather magical?

But what really disappoints is that it takes them 24 months to move from HB to pback - that's just greedy.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote