Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your primary methods for finding new books to read?
Recommendations from people you know 6 30.00%
Recommendations from authors you follow on social media 4 20.00%
Recommendations from reviewers you follow on social media 6 30.00%
Book review websites 4 20.00%
Book reviews in magazines or newspapers 4 20.00%
Browse bookstores or libraries 10 50.00%
Book club that you are a member of 0 0%
Other (please explain) 9 45.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2026, 08:36 AM   #16
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DrNefario's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,325
Karma: 13614476
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Online communities, like this one.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2026, 10:42 AM   #17
AuzelMakadam
Junior Member
AuzelMakadam began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2026
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mostly three routes for me. One is the Goodreads/StoryGraph "readers also enjoyed" shelf on books I rated high - but I treat it as a starting list, not a verdict, because it skews heavily toward whatever is selling that month.

The second is more old-fashioned: genre award longlists (not just winners). The shortlisted-but-lost titles are usually the interesting reads.

The third is deliberate serendipity - I pick one "blind" book per month based on a strange premise alone, no reviews. Roughly half are misses, but the hits are the books I remember. Algorithms optimize for "more of what you liked"; I find I need one channel that delivers "nothing like what you liked".
AuzelMakadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2026, 11:01 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 31,991
Karma: 65700000
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Central Coast of California
Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Same old way I have always done.
The only thing that changed is the where.

In the olden days my local pusher had a NEW shelf / table or put them on the normal shelf face out (older books were spine out) and a colored round label with the date released (the spots stayed for 30 days).
Even my public Library had a New shelf.
Nowadays I mostly use the new releases / reservation pages for my fav genres at the site.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2026, 07:36 PM   #19
AuzelMakadam
Junior Member
AuzelMakadam began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2026
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mostly the same browsing trap for me, until I noticed the pattern in what actually worked: the books that find me are never the ones an algorithm surfaces, they are the ones a single reader argued for with a specific thesis. "You will like this" does nothing for me, but "this is the book that treats X differently than everything else in the genre" sends me straight to the sample. Cover-and-title browsing only really works for books that already have a marketing budget behind them, which quietly filters out most of the interesting stuff.

I notice it from the other side too, since I write dystopian fiction myself and think about discovery a lot - from both directions the conclusion is the same: a reader reasoning publicly about why a book matters beats every recommendation engine I have tried.

Curious whether anyone here actually trusts the "readers also bought" suggestions, or whether for you a convincing single recommendation from a stranger always wins as well?
AuzelMakadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:22 AM   #20
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
odamizu's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,945
Karma: 9246004
Join Date: Mar 2015
Device: Kindle, iOS
Thanks everyone! I'll give some of these ideas a whirl.

Though it looks like a lot of people also do what I usually do — browse new releases at the (online) library and (online) bookstore. Seems to be a tried-and-true method, though increasingly I feel like I'm missing out on good books that my eye passes over because the cover or title doesn't grab me
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Sirtel's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,804
Karma: 251065365
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Estonia
Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuzelMakadam View Post
Mostly the same browsing trap for me, until I noticed the pattern in what actually worked: the books that find me are never the ones an algorithm surfaces, they are the ones a single reader argued for with a specific thesis. "You will like this" does nothing for me, but "this is the book that treats X differently than everything else in the genre" sends me straight to the sample. Cover-and-title browsing only really works for books that already have a marketing budget behind them, which quietly filters out most of the interesting stuff.

I notice it from the other side too, since I write dystopian fiction myself and think about discovery a lot - from both directions the conclusion is the same: a reader reasoning publicly about why a book matters beats every recommendation engine I have tried.

Curious whether anyone here actually trusts the "readers also bought" suggestions, or whether for you a convincing single recommendation from a stranger always wins as well?
I don't trust either. I read the synopsis and the sample, and decide then. The reasons other people liked/disliked something are often not valid/relevant for me, so I don't generally read reviews at all. I have zero interest in why someone liked a book I haven't read.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DiapDealer's Avatar
 
Posts: 29,797
Karma: 212614993
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I usually have more interest in why someone didn't like a book I haven't read.

I don't tend to read the reviews of people with whom I have no past experience (of their likes and dislikes), in general. Anonymous reviews with zero shared reading context doesn't really move my needle toward (or away) from a purchase.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Sirtel's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,804
Karma: 251065365
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Estonia
Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I usually have more interest in why someone didn't like a book I haven't read.
I sometimes read the reviews if I happen to notice that the general rating for the book I'm looking at is lower than usual, and then I do look mostly at the negative reviews. Otherwise I don't bother, as the ratings/reviews by other people are no guarantee I will like or dislike the book. It's all too subjective.

The same goes for "convincing", i.e. thoroughly argumented reviews - I still may or may not like the book, and so I usually avoid any reviews altogether.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #24
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 851
Karma: 6528026
Join Date: Sep 2012
Device: Kobo Elipsa
I spent a year reading books that sounded interesting to me but with an average rating of less than 3.5 stars on Goodreads, and I was surprised when some of them were 5-star reads for me. Sometimes I read the reviews of 2-star books to see why someone didn't like a book, and some of their reasons are the exact things I WANT in a book.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 54,855
Karma: 182340541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
When I look at reviews, I tend to toss out the 5 star and 1 star reviews. Though the 1 star reviews are a good place to look for humour. One of my spouse's recent reads had an 1 star review complaining about too much of the book was wasted on the interactions between the FMC and MMC. Gee, it's a urban fantasy/romance so spending time/words on that relationship makes sense, at least to the two of us.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #26
AuzelMakadam
Junior Member
AuzelMakadam began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2026
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mostly backwards, honestly. I'll read one book I love and then go through the author's own influences or their 'also enjoyed' shelf on StoryGraph, which surfaces weirder stuff than the front-page algorithm. Bookstore shelf-browsing once a month for covers I don't recognize. And a handful of small forums where people rec things they actually finished, not things they intend to read. The hit rate is maybe one in four, but the misses are cheap at novella length.
AuzelMakadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi all, I need to find a good book to read next! Tristy1313 Reading Recommendations 6 03-29-2013 02:23 PM
too find the best kobo apps read here msxman Kobo Tablets 1 11-03-2011 12:07 PM
How do you find new authors to read? jbcohen Reading Recommendations 46 01-30-2011 04:03 PM
Suggestions on how to find books to read Argelius Amazon Kindle 17 08-12-2010 11:50 AM
Find me some books to read based on what I have recently read (and liked) rahulm Reading Recommendations 16 08-11-2010 03:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.