Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-04-2024, 01:10 PM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by runaron View Post
just the database is placed on the FritzNAS mapped to Z:
Of course the database should be accessible from all the computers in the house with their Calibre clients, so it HAS TO BE on a Network share!

Can't imagine that could not be intended...
Putting calibre's database on a NAS is exactly the scenario that breaks things. The database, and in fact the entire calibre library, should be on a local drive or bad things happen. As you have discovered.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:15 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Perhaps you should search on this forum for messages about not using calibre on a network share? Or read the calibre FAQ titled: I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?.

You may also want to take a look at SQLite Over a Network, Caveats and Considerations for SQLite's take on doing so

Not to mention that calibre 6.4.0 is an old version so at least update to 6.29.0?

Last edited by DNSB; 01-04-2024 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Edit: added SQLite document link
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2024, 01:23 PM   #18
runaron
runaron began at the beginning.

Device: tolino vision 6
Thanks for this truly sad info.

I will find out the last version that supports the db on the NAS and avoid updates in the future - at least unless this faulty behaviour is eventually fixed...

Regards - Ron
runaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:24 PM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I will find out the last version that supports the db on the NAS and avoid updates in the future - at least unless this faulty behaviour is eventually fixed...

Regards - Ron
There has never been a calibre version that supports the DB on a mounted NAS. Some people were lucky for a time, some not.

This will not be fixed.

EDIT: you can run calibre and its db on the NAS (run, not mount) and use remote desktop or the content server to access it.

Last edited by chaley; 01-04-2024 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:33 PM   #20
runaron
runaron began at the beginning.

Device: tolino vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There has never been a calibre version that supports the DB on a mounted NAS. Some people were lucky for a time, some not.

This will not be fixed.
Copy that. I read about the details in the FAQs

Hope I will stay lucky with my configuration....
runaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2024, 01:48 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Please note that this a an issue with the SQLite database and it's supporting code and nothing to do with calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:53 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post

This will not be fixed.

EDIT: you can run calibre and its db on the NAS (run, not mount) and use remote desktop or the content server to access it.
Even MS word and loads of applications are less reliable with remote files.
I now make a local copy if editing rather than viewing with any kind of thing.

Multuser database clients work because the local program isn't accessing the files at all, they are never shared. Instead it's a transaction queue service program on a server that's accessing the files. It's a huge overhead of install, cpu and maintenance that's not needed for a single user program with exclusive LOCAL files (i.e. not over any kind of network, even ethernet LAN).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:29 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I am not aware running Calibre on a Network share, it is installed in C: and I run it on my local drive, just the database is placed on the FritzNAS mapped to Z:
Of course the database should be accessible from all the computers in the house with their Calibre clients, so it HAS TO BE on a Network share!

Can't imagine that could not be intended...
Read the FAQ (click Help in Calibre).
That is your problem. Calibre is Single user (instance) plus it is a Hybrid of DB and file system. Delays can be devastating. 2 Users making changes at the same time (the DB is in memory for performance. it can not know someone changed a copy behind the scenes)
Running the content server is the safe way to share in a family.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:41 PM   #24
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Sometimes the choice to have one's calibre library on a NAS feels like a lesser version of someone choosing to use Tesla's Full Self-Driving Capability. What is the risk the car will make a mistake? But it hasn't made one yet, you say. But if a mistake occurs, what happens if it kills someone? It won't, you say.

But the fundamental question remains: Is the risk acceptable? Apparently many people think the answer is "Yes".
Old 01-05-2024, 02:35 AM   #25
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
I am not aware running Calibre on a Network share, it is installed in C: and I run it on my local drive, just the database is placed on the FritzNAS mapped to Z:
Emphasis mine. NAS is Network-Attached Storage.

EDIT: I missed an entire page of posts.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:04 AM   #26
Nordlichtmarkus
Nordlichtmarkus began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You have a corrupted file in your calibre library folder. Delete the .clanotes hidden folder in the calibre library oflder and then start calibre and you should be fine.
I am sorry, but this did not work. I delete the .clanotes and then could start. But even when I click on a book this error occur:
calibre, version 7.3.0
FEHLER: Unbehandelter Ausnahmefehler: <b>NotADBError</b>:NotADBError: file is not a database

calibre 7.3 embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19045-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19045')
Python 3.11.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19045', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: de
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\book_details.py", line 1414, in show_data
File "calibre\gui2\book_details.py", line 1072, in show_data
File "calibre\gui2\book_details.py", line 276, in render_html
File "calibre\gui2\book_details.py", line 351, in render_data
File "calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\render.py", line 310, in mi_to_html
File "calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\render.py", line 134, in add_other_links
File "calibre\gui2\book_details.py", line 348, in item_id_if_has_note
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 88, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 682, in notes_for
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 973, in notes_for
File "calibre\db\notes\connect.py", line 264, in get_note
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 376, in get
File "C:\t\t\apsw-42s16m2x\src\cursor.c", line 240, in resetcursor
apsw.NotADBError: NotADBError: file is not a database

I just install the new 7.3.0 Version
Regards
Markus
Nordlichtmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:25 AM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Then there's something wrong with where you have the calibre library locates. Make sure its not a network drive or a location synced by some program like onedrive/dropbox and that its on a drive with a native filesystem such as NTFS.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 02:49 PM   #28
RustyHill
RustyHill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It thinks you have python 310 installed (earlier on the Path) which conflicts.
I have a similar issue after u/grade:

C:\Program Files\Calibre2>calibre-debug -g
Python 3.11.5
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (10, 0, 3) && Obok DeDRM (10, 0, 3)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "runpy.py", line 198, in _run_module_as_main
File "runpy.py", line 88, in _run_code
File "site.py", line 95, in <module>
File "site.py", line 90, in main
File "site.py", line 50, in run_entry_point
File "calibre\debug.py", line 231, in main
File "calibre\gui_launch.py", line 72, in calibre
File "bypy-importer.py", line 279, in exec_module
File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 5, in <module>
ImportError: Module use of python310.dll conflicts with this version of Python.

C:\Program Files\Calibre2>

How best to fix this? Is it to update my separate stand-alone version of Python or is there something I can do in Calibre?

Many thanks for the help & a great program.
RustyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 03:10 PM   #29
RustyHill
RustyHill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
OK, so I force removed the old version, cleaned up the reg and reinstalled 7.3 and it now works.

C:\Program Files>cd calibre

C:\Program Files\Calibre>calibre-debug -g
Python 3.11.5
Interface language: None
QPA platform: windows
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 91.84180790960451 x 92.05369127516778
ApplicationPaletteChange event ignored
Using calibre Qt style: True
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.01] Showing splash screen...
[0.20] splash screen shown
[0.20] Initializing db...
[0.76] db initialized
[0.76] Constructing main UI...
[1.56] GUI main window shown
[1.83] main UI initialized...
[1.83] Hiding splash screen
[2.01] splash screen hidden
[2.01] Started up in 2.01 seconds with 1 books

Lost my plugins etc but I can add these back....
RustyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:59 PM   #30
Nordlichtmarkus
Nordlichtmarkus began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Then there's something wrong with where you have the calibre library locates. Make sure its not a network drive or a location synced by some program like onedrive/dropbox and that its on a drive with a native filesystem such as NTFS.
Yes, the library was on a network drive. I copied this to local and now it works.
What's strange is that I've been using the library on a network drive for the last few years without any problems, it wasn't until 7.2 that it stopped working.
Nordlichtmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote