Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2023, 10:19 PM   #16
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I got a similar issue. I had the book folder open in the extra data folder. While the folder was still open, I used F2 to change the title (adding an extra dash). This is something I've done before without issues.

This time, I got an error about the folder being locked, but then the title changed anyways and I got this error upon clicking the book again:

Code:
calibre, version 6.20.0
ERROR: Unhandled error: Failed to read book data from calibre library. Click "Show details" for more information

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1574, in copy_cover_to
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'D:\\Documents\\My Books\\Bethesda Softworks\\The Elder Scrolls II_ Daggerfall Us (810)\\cover.jpg'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1579, in copy_cover_to
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'D:\\Documents\\My Books\\Bethesda Softworks\\The Elder Scrolls II_ Daggerfall Us (810)\\cover.jpg'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 643, in current_changed
  File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 620, in get_book_display_info
  File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 815, in cover
  File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 455, in cover
  File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1028, in cover
  File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 85, in call_func_with_lock
  File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1063, in copy_cover_to
  File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1582, in copy_cover_to
Exception: Failed to open 'D:\\Documents\\My Books\\Bethesda Softworks\\The Elder Scrolls II_ Daggerfall Us (810)\\cover.jpg' with error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'D:\\Documents\\My Books\\Bethesda Softworks\\The Elder Scrolls II_ Daggerfall Us (810)\\cover.jpg'
Looking at the folder shows this. Both of them are empty except for an also-empty data folder. I had to get the files from my backup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-06-11 23_18_48-Window.png
Views:	64
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	201962

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-11-2023 at 10:31 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:37 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigh, I really detest windows, its filesystem semantics are completely awful. I guess I need to find a way to turn off delete on close on the open handles when an error occurs. And note that you will no longer be able to keep the book folder open in explorer while changing title/author, because now even folders are locked.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2023, 10:39 PM   #18
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

tbh, part of why the problem occured is that I had the extra data folder open - that kinda breaks the 'stay out of the Calibre filesystem' rule. I opened a ticket for something that might help a bit:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/2023509
Old 06-12-2023, 01:16 AM   #19
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I had a problem after the latest update, 6.20, where I had a conversion going for a single book from azw3 to epub, and while that was taking place I was in the metadata editor window for a different book (I can't remember if it was the same author). In the metadata editor I was changing the book's title getting rid of the extra crud that Amazon puts there. When I went to save it I got an error (which of course I didn't copy). Going into the book's folder using the O key it was empty. Going up a level into the author's folder there were two folders for the book, the old name and the new name, but both were empty. This happened several times. Later on I was only changing book titles and adding series info and it never happened so it seems like there's some interaction?

Last edited by hobnail; 06-12-2023 at 01:18 AM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 02:24 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This should take care of it:
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...fbd9aeb85f2ff2

Note that if you are running from source you will get errors as it requires changes to the compiled parts as well, so dont update your source till the next calibre release.
Advert
Old 06-12-2023, 03:59 AM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Will there be a hotfix release? On one hand, it only happens under specific criteria. On the other hand, data loss isn't great.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:00 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This should take care of it:
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...fbd9aeb85f2ff2

Note that if you are running from source you will get errors as it requires changes to the compiled parts as well, so dont update your source till the next calibre release.
Can we please have a 6.20.1 that fixes this so we don't have to go back to 6.19.1? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 04:04 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Windows: Fix a regression in the previous release that could cause files to be deleted if one of the files/folders was locked in another program while changing title/author in calibre

After looking at the description of the fix, I'm not sure it's correct. I did not have the files/folder locked in another program. I added the eBook to the library and then went to edit it. After the edit was done, I went to the metadata editor and edited it. I did not open the eBook or the eBook's directory in any other program when I got the error.

Thing is, I've never had a problem with the lock for the directory or eBook. So really do we need this?
Old 06-12-2023, 04:05 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Will there be a hotfix release? On one hand, it only happens under specific criteria. On the other hand, data loss isn't great.
No, but I will move forward the next normal release. There is anyway alreadya few new features in master.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:15 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, but I will move forward the next normal release. There is anyway alreadya few new features in master.
Why do we need locking when we've never needed it before and i mean since LibPRS500 all the way up to 6.19.1?
Old 06-12-2023, 04:21 AM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Did you not read the thread? Other people were having trouble with it because it wasn't locking.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:38 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Did you not read the thread? Other people were having trouble with it because it wasn't locking.
Yes, I read. But not until recently. And calibre has been available for a long time without this.

I didn't have the directory or eBook open in another program. Besides, I do sometimes find it useful to be able to look at the eBook in another program before I save changes in the editor.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:59 AM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Which thread(s), and how many "Other people" ?

Apart from the person who started this thread ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=353570

And dunhill in this one ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=354367

I'm still using 6.18.1; I've tried and failed to induce these errors.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-12-2023 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Second link was wrong thread
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 05:01 AM   #29
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

this one too:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=354367
Old 06-12-2023, 05:22 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That's still dunhill.

So two people have a problem that's not really a problem and now we all have a problem. That's why I want this change backed-off. It's going to cause more of a problem with then without. Windows has never had a locking problem with calibre that wasn't user-created.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-12-2023 at 05:25 AM.