Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-30-2021, 02:11 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
TBH, it' not the "plastic is cheap" view per e that bothers me, it's the insistence that it is an objective statement of fact, as opposed to a subjective opinion.
Yeah. My Libra doesn't feel cheap and crackly to me. It's a nice, solid device. I don't use a cover or a skin with it, while I had to put my Oasis in a coverless silicon case to be able to read comfortably.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:45 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Then again, my biggest issue with reviews like this is the fundamental "plastic = 'feels cheap'" argument. Believing that might be why he doesn't address the VERY sizable price advantage the Libra has over the Oasis. Or "had" I should say, since the Oasis is now listed as unavailable on Amazon.
The Oasis is still available in the UK, in both 8 and 32.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #18
Drou
Enthusiast
Drou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4th generation
Thank you all for confirming the buttons are not an issue! I don't have a problem with any of the other negatives mentioned in the video either it was really just the ergonomics that were making me pause for thought!

(PS sorry that I seem to not be replying to your questions, I am actually responding fairly quickly but as a new member it seems all my posts need to be verified by the mods to check I'm not spamming!)
Drou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thanks for the link. It definitely came across to me like a hate piece with a few "this ain't awful" tassels thrown in for a veneer of objectivity.
Could be. But then he did recommend the Kobo Clara over the Kindle Paperwhite. He also likes the Forma (though the power button... I don't think anyone likes the Forma's power button).

I do think he's missing something with the Libra. My guess is he is comparing it in his mind to the Oasis, while disregarding the fact that the Libra is a hundred bucks cheaper.

Quote:
Then again, my biggest issue with reviews like this is the fundamental "plastic = 'feels cheap'" argument.
Yeah, I've noticed there seem to be certain things that really, only reviewers care about. Metal vs. Plastic and bezel size are two of them.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #20
Drou
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do think he's missing something with the Libra. My guess is he is comparing it in his mind to the Oasis, while disregarding the fact that the Libra is a hundred bucks cheaper.
I did get that impression, but I think at the full retail price it's neither fish nor fowl so therefore it's a bit hard to place and compare. If it wasn't on sale I'm 95% sure I'd pick the Clara as there's probably not enough for me personally to justify the extra £40. But then again the Forma and Kindle Oasis weren't even on my radar just because of the price point but I guess if they were then the Libra might seem like a bit of a compromise. It's in a bit of an odd spot (full) price wise - for those who want a basic ereader it's probably a bit expensive, for those who want the premium reading experience it's too 'basic'. Or maybe that's just me projecting my own feelings onto the entire ereader market!
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drou View Post
Thank you all for confirming the buttons are not an issue! I don't have a problem with any of the other negatives mentioned in the video either it was really just the ergonomics that were making me pause for thought!

(PS sorry that I seem to not be replying to your questions, I am actually responding fairly quickly but as a new member it seems all my posts need to be verified by the mods to check I'm not spamming!)

Reacting to his review made me check my reading stats for the last year. I bought my Libra on September 9 2020, and since then have read350 books at average of 370 "pages" each. So whatever 350 times 370 is, that's how many times I've clicked the page turn button on my Libra in that last 50 weeks, with zero issues
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
It's in a bit of an odd spot (full) price wise - for those who want a basic ereader it's probably a bit expensive, for those who want the premium reading experience it's too 'basic'. Or maybe that's just me projecting my own feelings onto the entire ereader market!
I wouldn't call the Libra too basic and I have the latest Oasis to compare it with. Sure, it may not be quite on a par with the Oasis, but in no way feels "basic". I switch between the two of them most of the time and have never felt like I'm "downgrading" or something when I go to the Libra. They both have their pros and cons.

BTW, I bought the Libra after the Oasis. It's my first (and so far only) Kobo. Before I had only various Kindles and a Nook.

TL;DR The Libra is not a poor man's Oasis. It is a very fine reader in its own right.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-30-2021 at 04:59 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:07 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I did get that impression, but I think at the full retail price it's neither fish nor fowl so therefore it's a bit hard to place and compare. If it wasn't on sale I'm 95% sure I'd pick the Clara as there's probably not enough for me personally to justify the extra £40. But then again the Forma and Kindle Oasis weren't even on my radar just because of the price point but I guess if they were then the Libra might seem like a bit of a compromise. It's in a bit of an odd spot (full) price wise - for those who want a basic ereader it's probably a bit expensive, for those who want the premium reading experience it's too 'basic'. Or maybe that's just me projecting my own feelings onto the entire ereader market!
For me, it's the screen size and overall device size.

I'm happy with 6" readers and have avoided larger screens in the past.

However, I would like a single device that has waterproofing, amber light and page turn buttons. And the Libra, even with its larger screen is about the same height as the Clara, though it is wider.

I'd love a Clara 2 that was just a Libra with a 6" screen. But I don't think that will happen. I do think a Libra would suit my wants, though I can't justify laying out the dough when my Clara does most everything I want.

(There's also the Pocketbook Touch HD 3 that has all that and is a 6" screen, but I don't like where the page turn buttons are on that device.)

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-30-2021 at 04:12 PM.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:00 AM   #24
Drou
Enthusiast

I was going past the shop that I found the one sole display version of any ereader whatsover and was able to find a shop assistant who was atually able to get it working again. It was a kindle paperwhite and while I loved the quality of the e-ink I definitely prefer the ergonomics of my old kindle with the turn page buttons on both sides. If I could put the sreen of the paperwhite with the hardware and software of the kobo onto my 4th gen kindle I might just have the perfect ereader!

Failing that, it looks like it will have to be the Libra H2O!

Last edited by Drou; 08-31-2021 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #25
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Failing that, it looks like it will have to be the Libra H2O!
I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Libra H20. I ordered one on a whim, having dusted off my Kindle Paperwhite 5th gen (from 2012) recently and rediscovered my love for ereaders. It arrived today. I'd hoped 9 years of ereader tech would result in a more refined device and an upgraded reading experience. It did!

The Libra outclasses my old Paperwhite in every way. I love this device. The asymmetrical "one-handed" design is brilliant, so ergonomic, easy to hold. The 300 DPI is bloody brilliant - text is so crisp, and pops off the screen as opposed to the Paperwhite and its 213 DPI, which makes text looks blurry and indistinct by comparison. The 7" screen apparently results in 40% more screen real estate vs. 6", because math. And the Libra is half an oz. lighter than my Paperwhite to boot. The font adjustments, sepia tone lighting option, and Overdrive library integration are awesome. The whole mindless "Plastic bad. Metal good." mentality is nonsense. It's not that black and white. Especially when there's a $100 price difference, as with the Oasis. The Libra feels premium to me. It does not feel cheap.

The Kobo Libra H20 is a terrific ereader. I played with the options for awhile, then started reading and suddenly I'd read like 35 pages. So enjoyable. Also, the cover of the book I'm currently reading displays while the device is sleeping - finally!

Enjoy your new ereader
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:56 PM   #26
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:

For example, he complains right at the start that the Libra only comes in 2 colors. Which is the same number of colors the Oasis offers. That does not sound like a well-reasoned, logical objection to me. It would have been more honest to say " I prefer the 2 colors available in the Oasis to the two colors available in the Libra"

The Libra comes in two colors front-side and back-side.

The Oasis is one color only front-side

Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote