Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-25-2021, 04:25 AM   #16
geordiejohn
Zealot
geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I have removed Linux beta and turned on again and went to install but it is still not asking for a password?
Thank you.
geordiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:54 AM   #17
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Maybe this will help
https://support.google.com/chromeboo...-su-root?hl=en

https://support.google.com/chromeboo.../9145439?hl=en
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #18
geordiejohn
Zealot
geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I am getting no where.
I have pm Kovid to see if he can help.
Thank you.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #19
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejohn View Post
Sorry I am getting no where.
I have pm Kovid to see if he can help.
Thank you.
In linux whenever you install a program it asks you for the root password
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	151
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	188026  
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #20
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I haven't tried this but if the Chromebook is on a Intel or AMD chip and if Calibre will run under Wine 6.0, you might try these instructions for installing Wine 6.0:

https://www.linuxmadesimple.info/202...ine-60-on.html
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2021, 06:43 AM   #21
geordiejohn
Zealot

Thank you.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #22
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
If you try it, please let us know whether it works.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:26 AM   #23
geordiejohn
Zealot

I think I will just highlight the book and move it to kindle.
Thank you all for the help.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #24
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You're trying to make the Chromebook do something that it is not designed to do, and that means a high level of tech understanding, if it will work at all.

I bought a Chromebook for $200, realized how limited it was, and sold it on.

I then picked up refurbished Windows 10 Lenovo laptop. It has a small SSD drive, and I stopped windows updating permanently (you need to know how). It boots as fast as a chromebook. Cost me $200 and I can install anything easily.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #25
geordiejohn
Zealot

Thank you.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #26
kenmac999
kenmac999 began at the beginning.

Device: Devices: Motorola G Power 5G, ASUS C436F Chromebook, Kindle Fire 7" Ap
Quote:
hello does anyone know how to install Calibre on an Acer chromebook please?
I go to Linux terminal and paste in the calibre commands to install it but it keeps asking for a password and evidently it should not be a sing for a password?
thank you.
The Linux download page includes "sudo -v &&" at the beginning which forces the Linux terminal to verify the password. remove this and try the rest of the line. I got it installed on my Chromebook this way. Personally, I prefer using my Chromebook as a thin client and ssh into my Linux desktop where I have calibre and my libraries installed.
kenmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #27
geordiejohn
Zealot

i tried what you said kenmac999 but it says i am running an arm system and i need to compile from source?
thank you.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I will say that you really have a very underpowered system. You are trying to make it do things it was never designed to do. Just because it costs $200 (or so) does not make it a good value.

You would be best to dump the Chromebook and buy a Windows 10 laptop. My Mom had a Windows 10 laptop that cost about $500-$600 and it worked perfectly well for her needs and it ran Calibre very well for when I used Calibre on it. My sister has it now and it still works well.

Sorry, but you did rip-yourself off with the Chromebook. There is no real resale value to those.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO Chromebooks are light-weight (power wise) great for surfing and Mail, not for heavy lifting like Calibre.
They are also great for use as a Remote (desktop connection) terminal as the heavy lifting is done by the host PC.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
hello does anyone know how to install Calibre on an Acer chromebook please?
I go to Linux terminal and paste in the calibre commands to install it but it keeps asking for a password and evidently it should not be a sing for a password?
thank you.
I'm coming into this late, but for me it was go to the terminal and paste the following from Calibre's site...

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin

(This option did request a sudo password, that's why I had to put one in — run sudo passwd)

That installed it. Unfortunately I can't access my USB device from Calibre — so that kind of limits its usefulness. I don't think there's a fix for that yet.

EDIT: You can also install Calibre from the repository with...

sudo apt install calibre

...but that will give you version 3.39.1.

(This option does not require a password, but you get version 3.39 of Calibre here.)

I've tested both ways. They both work in Crostini without using the Development mode.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-14-2021 at 09:21 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote