Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 12-27-2019, 12:50 AM   #16
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Anybody had issues with Ares not going to sleep and not shutting off automatically?
My Ares does neither. It does not go to the sleep mode after 2 minutes of inactivity as it is set to do. Even when I switch to the sleep mode manually (by the button or by the cover) - it still does not switch off after the chosen time in sleep mode.
The battery is draining rather fast in the sleep mode, even though wi-fi and bluetooth are switched off. I keep the cover closed, so it is in the sleep mode, I hope. Because while opening the cover I see it getting awakened.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:32 AM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Anybody had issues with Ares not going to sleep and not shutting off automatically?
My Ares does neither. It does not go to the sleep mode after 2 minutes of inactivity as it is set to do. Even when I switch to the sleep mode manually (by the button or by the cover) - it still does not switch off after the chosen time in sleep mode.
The battery is draining rather fast in the sleep mode, even though wi-fi and bluetooth are switched off. I keep the cover closed, so it is in the sleep mode, I hope. Because while opening the cover I see it getting awakened.
Test with open Cover:
after 2 minutes my Ares go to sleep mode automatically either in Start Screen, in Calibre Companion, in AlReader and immediately after closing the cover - no problem.
And it switches off after 30 Minutes.
WiFi setup to never.
Does your Ares have any background activities?
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2019, 07:03 AM   #18
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Does your Ares have any background activities?
Oh, it was the SD card.
Notifications: New Samsung SD card detected: Set up / Eject.
I was using a card formatted on Mimas without bothering of going through the motions of setting it up on Ares. It was working fine anyway.

Once I opened Notifications, Ares went to sleep. And then it turned itself off.
So it wanted to make sure I read the notification.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:08 AM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, it was the SD card.
Notifications: New Samsung SD card detected: Set up / Eject.
I was using a card formatted on Mimas without bothering of going through the motions of setting it up on Ares. It was working fine anyway.

Once I opened Notifications, Ares went to sleep. And then it turned itself off.
So it wanted to make sure I read the notification.
Im using cards formatted for internal use and never change it - so such cannot happen.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #20
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Im using cards formatted for internal use and never change it - so such cannot happen.
I have abandoned that idea because I cannot access such cards. I can neither write any files to them from PC, nor read anything on e-reader. Although the last part is not really tested - how to read from something that is empty.
But it becomes hidden even from the e-reader's own file manager anyway.
It is enough to know about the notification issue, the problem solved.
Advert
Old 12-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I have abandoned that idea because I cannot access such cards. I can neither write any files to them from PC, nor read anything on e-reader. Although the last part is not really tested - how to read from something that is empty.
But it becomes hidden even from the e-reader's own file manager anyway.
It is enough to know about the notification issue, the problem solved.
You must have other Likebooks than me.
Im using it in Likebook Ares and a second in Likebook Alita without any problem, formatted as internal - both in Cover which I donot want to remove for handling with the tray.
Apps are moved to internal Flash, data are on SD.
Im not interested, what happens on internal Flash and im not interested in access to it.
Here you can see, what I can see on my PC

Old 12-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #22
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
You must have other Likebooks than me.
Im using it in Likebook Ares and a second in Likebook Alita without any problem, formatted as internal - both in Cover which I donot want to remove for handling with the tray.
Apps are moved to internal Flash, data are on SD.
Im not interested, what happens on internal Flash and im not interested in access to it.
Here you can see, what I can see on my PC

Strange, I see nothing like that. I see the internal 32 GB (or 64 GB if Alita) - actually less, because in real gigabytes.
Do you see the 469 GB also in the default File Manager on Ares ar Alita?
I don't see them either, just like on PC. And nothing in Notifications either.
The only way to know that Ares/Alita/Mimas sees the card at all - deep in settings in Storage & USB.

Wait a minute! I tried the internal thing several times. Each time after the formatting finishes it was proposed to me to move the apps, but each time I chose NO.
Perhaps, you need to choose YES in order to get access to the card?
But that would be very strange too. If NO - then no access to your card at all?
I don't want to risk moving apps, not sure if it can be reversed if something goes wrong. And as far as I can tell now - I would still have to move back to the portable card.

Have you ever tried NO?

Last edited by parkher; 12-27-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Strange, I see nothing like that. I see the internal 32 GB (or 64 GB if Alita) - actually less, because in real gigabytes.
Do you see the 469 GB also in the default File Manager on Ares ar Alita?
Yes - it is called Lokal
Quote:
I don't see them either, just like on PC. And nothing in Notifications either.
The only way to know that Ares/Alita/Mimas sees the card at all - deep in settings in Storage & USB.

Wait a minute! I tried the internal thing several times. Each time after the formatting finishes it was proposed to me to move the apps, but each time I chose NO.
I chosed yes
Quote:
Perhaps, you need to choose YES in order to get access to the card?
But that would be very strange too. If NO - then no access to your card at all?
I don't want to risk moving apps, not sure if it can be reversed if something goes wrong. And as far as I can tell now - I would still have to move back to the portable card.
You can move all Apps back - so did I. Settings, Storage& USB, SD-Karte ....., Apps
I have all my apps on internal storage and all data on Internal SD Card
Quote:

Have you ever tried NO?
No, because I setup to Internal at the first start of the devices.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #24
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
No, because I setup to Internal at the first start of the devices.
I mean, have you tried to format as internal (not portable) but say NO to moving apps?
I now have a theory that I don't see the card because I did not allow to move apps after formatting.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #25
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I mean, have you tried to format as internal (not portable) but say NO to moving apps?
I now have a theory that I don't see the card because I did not allow to move apps after formatting.
I never said no - I moved everything after formatting.
But I moved the apps back - they are on Internal Storage.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #26
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
I never said no - I moved everything after formatting.
But I moved the apps back - they are on Internal Storage.
So you got the same as I should have gotten by saying NO, if android weren't screwed up.
OK, I will try to say YES. Eventually. I have Mimas, Ares and Alita. I can try on one of them
Old 12-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #27
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
So you got the same as I should have gotten by saying NO, if android weren't screwed up.
OK, I will try to say YES. Eventually. I have Mimas, Ares and Alita. I can try on one of them
Try it on one with tray and then let it inside
Old 12-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #28
parkher
Evangelist

Just a correction, I don't want to mislead someone here.
Earlier I mentioned 32 GB and 64 GB. I don't think any LikeBook has that much. I meant 16 GB (decimal) and 32 GB (decimal).
Old 12-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #29
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Try it on one with tray and then let it inside
Interesting, how it will work. I use GoldenDict. And my main concern is GoldenDict.
It always tries searching for dictionaries in the internal GoldenDict folder.
You even have to create it and put there at least one dictionary before starting GoldenDict for the first time, otherwise, you will be stuck on attempting to scan a dictionary.
Only when at least one internal dictionary is indexed, you can specify an additional location for other dictionaries. I use the sd card for the additional location. The name of the folder is not important there, it can also be GoldenDict, or just Dictionaries.
With all this moving of apps to the external and back to internal, not sure if GoldenDict will work afterwards. It needs GoldenDict folder with at least one dictionary on the internal. It puts index information there too. So probably it still needs it even when an additional folder is already specified. If all data is on the card, not sure what GoldenDict will do, and where it will put the index data, etc.
If it does not find the main GoldenDict folder - it will not work.
Another approach: to install GoldenDict later, already after formatting as internal.
Then - where it will be installed? And - I assume - I will be able to create GoldenDict folder only on the card. Still, if the card is treated as if it is the internal storage, perhaps it will be good enough for GoldenDict. Or maybe not.

Are you, by any chance, using GoldenDict? Perhaps already tested.
Not many alternatives to it. None, if you want the best - one supporting more of the dictionary formats than any other, capable of handling of lots of dictionaries simultaneously, and still very fast. Supports also morphology and plays pronunciation sounds too.
Limited or no support for e-ink, but at least with my bluetooth toy I can do "next page" in it - when there are multiple pages of results.

Last edited by parkher; 12-27-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #30
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Interesting, how it will work. I use GoldenDict. And my main concern is GoldenDict.
It always tries searching for dictionaries in the internal GoldenDict folder.
So, I have installed Golden Dict - it was located on SD-Card and the folder too.
I got 2 dictionaries (EN-DE, DE-EN BGL) ang put it in this folder.
Then moved Golden Dict to internal storege and everything worked - the dictionaries remained on SD Card.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 12-27-2019 at 04:17 PM.