Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
"With netdot do you need to install software?"

No software involved. "pdurrant's advice is sound. I bought a 3 pack of cables and adapters. I have one cable connected to a good wall charger, to charge any device with an adapter on it. Another cable is connected to a PC USB port, for data exchanging/software updating. The other cable is a spare in case one of them develops a problem. I should get some more of the adapters, for any new devices.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You're incorrect. Data and power connect correctly in either orientation.
See https://www.amazon.ca/NetDot-Upgrade...s%2C194&sr=8-6

Quote:
Super strong magnetic, USB2.0 fast charging & sync for Android phone. Both sides support charging, only One side for sync, LED light will turn on when power on.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2019, 12:34 AM   #18
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I just synced my Kobo Forma twice, once with the magnetic usb oriented one way, then with it oriented the opposite way. It synced just fine both times.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
As I said, there's no standard for these things. It does seem that at least one manufacturer has been idiotic enough to create a cable that doesn't work properly both ways, but it seems to me that it must have been harder than making one that works fully either way around!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #20
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For my Aura HDs it is working with the LED on the cable is facing up, which is easy to do as the light is on whenever the other end is plugged into a power source, including a PC.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 01-21-2019, 01:13 AM   #21
tracings
Enthusiast
tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracings ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook HD, Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I can't say I've noticed any wear on the USB ports on all the Kobo's I've owned (touch, Glo, Glo HD, Aura, Aura HD, h20, Glo HD). Kobo seems to do a good job with the USB connector. My Lenovo tablet on the other hand, ...
This has not been my experience with my Kobo Touch and Glo HD. The only thing that has ever failed on my Kobos has been the connector. At one point, I was using rubber bands to hold the cable into contact with the connector/port.

There is no sadder thing than a Kobo than can no longer be charged.
tracings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracings View Post
This has not been my experience with my Kobo Touch and Glo HD. The only thing that has ever failed on my Kobos has been the connector. At one point, I was using rubber bands to hold the cable into contact with the connector/port.

There is no sadder thing than a Kobo than can no longer be charged.
Maybe down to usage habits?
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post

Since we're constantly plugging them in to charge or download books I would think this would save the micro usb port from wear. ...
I'm not constantly plugging/unplugging my Kobo. I only sideload, and I probably connect my Kobo once a week; a plus of having long battery life.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #23
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast
mobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Just an FYI about warranties. IF you use a major credit card like Visa or Discover, check the additional member benefits. Many cards will increase the manufacturer's warranty by double, up to 1 extra year. That can be very handy in case something goes wrong with a tech item you purchase on that card. Always keep your receipts for anything you buy by CC.

So, for example, if your Kobo's USB port fails and it's within the extra warranty time by the CC company, they'll replace the Kobo since a port cannot be repaired.

I used this extra warranty coverage successfully a couple times. Once getting a free diagnosis and repair of my dishwasher since I purchased it using my Visa card. This was after the original Mfg coverage ended but still covered by Visa!
mobilemoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #24
m-p{3}
m-p{3} began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I have some of these magnetic connectors (ASAP X-Connect) and I don't use them much. The contact isn't reliable, and they're inconvenient when I want to recharge something on the go in my backpack.

I do use them for stuff that doesn't move much at home, like my bluetooth speaker, bluetooth keyboard, etc.
m-p{3} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #25
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast
mobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheese

I just purchased the 3-pack NetDot magnetic cables and USB connectors and they work very well for my Kobo Clara and Android phone. No issues at all or having to plug them in a certain way for syncing to my Mac.

The magnets hold well but it's also easy to disconnect the cord. One does have to be careful because if you jostle or bump your device it's likely you'll inadvertently disconnect the magnetic cord at a time when you're connected to your computer syncing or downloading.

Unfortunately the magnetic USB connector + cable doesn't work at all on my Kindle Fire HD 8 model (2017), and that Kindle Fire port is very susceptible to failure--it's a known problem with Kindles. So I'm disappointed the magnetic solution won't allow the Kindle Fire to charge.

Last edited by mobilemoxie; 01-26-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #26
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have the Fire HD 8 along with the charging dock and you might want to consider getting one next time it goes on sale. It comes with a kind of case for the Fire that has Pogo pins on the back and when I set it in the dock it charges. It works pretty well.

It does add more than a little weight to the Fire and the little case is useless for protection and I don't think you could use a real case with it on. But I don't normally bother with cases with my Fire tablets. I think of them as disposable.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:44 PM   #27
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion. The Fire HD 8 was a gift of sorts, my mom passed it to me as she couldn't figure out how to use it. I find the Fire to be incredibly slow in general and just okay. I keep it propped up against something on the floor now, and use it for the Alexa hands-free functionality and to control some wifi linked lights.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #28
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I can't say I've noticed any wear on the USB ports on all the Kobo's I've owned (touch, Glo, Glo HD, Aura, Aura HD, h20, Glo HD). Kobo seems to do a good job with the USB connector. My Lenovo tablet on the other hand, ...
I've had 4 Kobos: an H2O1, 2 Aura Ones & a Forma. So far, the H2O1 is still going strong as is the Forma but those Aura Ones were a different story. One lasted 6 months before the USB connector died and the other lasted 8 before the screen died. Both were well-cared for.

If you have an A1, I wouldn't be very confident in Kobo's manufacturing if I were you. Because I'm not. At all. Fingers crossed that this was just an aberration and not a trend with recent Kobo models.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #29
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
Ok, I purchased https://www.amazon.ca/NetDot-Generat...+charger&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.ca/Generation-3-3...9322382&sr=8-2
for all my kobo touch's and kobo Aura for my wife and daughters kobo.

The only issue I have is that it was a really tight fit, at first I thought it might be the wrong connector type and then I thought I was going to break it. At least I know the little adapter bit won't fall out of the kobo, I think you'll really have to yank it out to get it off (haven't tried - I'll do that when the time comes if need be) in any case tight fit.

The 3 silver magnetic cable connections charge and connect with data transfer with the light up (haven't tried the other way) says they're gen 3 and are compatable with the gen 5 adapters I also purchased.
If you want to be able to connect using the old cords you'll need the adapter piece from the first product I mentioned - that adapter piece doesn't come with the silver cords. Although just thinking now, I think I only needed the adapter because the one will mate with your old charging cord and the smaller piece will plug into your kobo - but i don't actually know if the cord will work with it or not. I only bought the silver cords because I thought they were only compatible through it. (updated - it does work with your usb kobo cord)

***added info***
Ok, tried the adapter in the old charging cord and it works good. One does have to make sure the light is up, if it is down (at least with the gen 5's) computer installs new hardware for device and then doesn't recognize it - so just make sure the light is up. No problems though just pull it off and flip it around, nothing happens to it by plugging it in the wrong way.

One other thing, the magnet is fairly strong, you have to pull it to disconnect it. One reviewer said if he just knocks the cord and it falls off - I would either think it was a defective one or maybe an earlier version that might have had a weaker magnetism - regardless I see no problems with the strength of the magnets.

Last edited by christopher22; 02-04-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: additional info
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:49 PM   #30
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I have read in bed while charging, using the magnetic cables & adapters and it hasn't been a problem. With these strong magnets it is best to rock them to one side, then pull them away. Even as tight as the adapters are, on some devices pulling straight back has sometimes pulled the adapter out with it still attached to the cable.

Luck;
Ken

Tags
adapter, kobo, magnetic