Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #16
rgjp
rgjp began at the beginning.

Device: 505 Reader
=X=, I installed the dictionary app you suggested.

Until I see a commercial solution I'll probably stick with it. It's functional and so far I haven't come across any missing words or weird definitions in the provided dictionary.

Thanks for your help.

By the way, my 4GB SD card actually loads pretty quick. I'd say it's under 20 sec.

It's pretty sad that Sony hasn't implemented something like this already. Anyway, kudos to you, Clemenseken and anyone else involved for going the extra mile.

Last edited by rgjp; 10-22-2008 at 07:04 PM.
rgjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Just a note: SD doesn't mean "secure disk" but "Secure Digital (card)"
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
rsdavis9
rsdavis9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think I get about 3 sec press for the "0" key and then about 15 sec. load for the dictionary. I have a 2gb memstick with only the dictionary js/xml files on it.

Do other people get better times with smaller cards?

Does anybody have a cute way of storing mem cards with the reader? Tape the carrying case to the cover? Yucky look.

bob
rsdavis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #19
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Generally SD cards are slow.
You will have slightly better results by selecting high speed SDHC cards.
The con is these cards are more expensive than regular cards.
Also these cards generally go from 4GB and up.

The good thing is they're a tad faster.

It's not really bad to have a 4 or 8GB card, but what is bad, is that you'll best only use as little of it as possible.
Since the more you fill the card with books, and pictures and files,the slower the reader works.
the larger the indexed archive of the card, the slower the reader works.

Also know that the reader possesses a 200Mhz processor;something we found in our pc's in 1995...almost 15 years ago.

Don't expect SDHC cards to be that much faster. Even amongst them there are many differences in speed. A Class 6 is generally the fastest class available, but even amongst class 6 there are cards that easily topple other cards by being 6 times faster.
(Eg: Sandisk Extreme III cards are reasonably faster than regular SDHC Class 6 cards).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, dictionary, reader