Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
We don't stand for flaming much around here, actually. Discussion of differing ideas, yes, absolutely, but flaming ... not so much.

I also am a U.S. Citizen (native) and I agree absolutely with that idea -- our culture fosters and tolerates entirely too much of this sort of ... juvenile self-seeking attitude, and this is only one of the myriad ways it manifests.

I have some theories as to why, but I don't regard them as all that comprehensive. I do, however, think that most of our societal problems can be traced back to this sort of selfishness.
I do like a nice bonfire every now and then, however. Nice to roast marshmallows over. in fact, we need a :marshmallowroast: smilie.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #17
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Mythbusters did prove that it is really, really hard to manipulate an airplane's gizmos with cellphones!

They also proved that a plane on a conveyor belt will take off!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I must admit, I have been on a lot of flights and never had a problem with turning my Kindle off for the 20 minutes we are taking off and the 20 minutes we are landing. I leaf through one of the flight magazines, or talk to the person next to me ... in other words it's simply not that big a deal to me.
For me the problem is the landing if I am at the conclusion of the books. Stopping reading will then kind of destroy the experience of the book. And since my Cybook do not have page number and the display of how much is left is unreliable I cannot time the reading so the landing do not occur when the book is ending. So in my latest flight I did not turn of the reader when landing...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #19
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Mythbusters did prove that it is really, really hard to manipulate an airplane's gizmos with cellphones!

They also proved that a plane on a conveyor belt will take off!
I'm trying to figure out what myth they were trying to bust. And I thought I'd watched all the Myth Busters episodes out htere.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #20
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
For me the problem is the landing if I am at the conclusion of the books. Stopping reading will then kind of destroy the experience of the book. And since my Cybook do not have page number and the display of how much is left is unreliable I cannot time the reading so the landing do not occur when the book is ending. So in my latest flight I did not turn of the reader when landing...
I almost never "turn off" my Kindle. However, I do make certain the Whispernet is off, put it into sleep mode, close the cover, and put it in my backpack for landing and take off. I do this because it makes it easier for me and for those around me.

I suppose I am lucky in that putting a book down for a few minutes at a time never destroys the experience of the book for me. I am actually able to read a book and enjoy it while still going through most of the everyday bits of life that are necessary to existence (such as feeding the cats, walking the dogs, and my personal favorite -- cleaning out the litter boxes).
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert