Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #16
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I am going to be nosy, what type of books do you read?
I may can lead you to some inexpensive finds.
I don't mind nosy at all! I'm also interested in getting good recommendations. Here are some of my favorites, arranged most-favorite-author first:

James Rollins - Adventure. I especially loved Subterranean, Ice Hunt, and Amazonia from his stand-alone novels. I bought the entire Sigma Force series, and have read through 75% of that. Sigma Force is very good. I've never found a James Rollins book that I didn't like, I'd rate them all either 4 or 5 stars.

Patrick Lee - Adventure. The Breech, Ghost Country. Both were very good. I have Deep Sky purchased, waiting in queue to be read now.

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - either together or individually. Adventure. I liked The Ice Limit and The Codex. Deep Freeze was OK. Relic was OK, but I didn't think that one was all as great as I had expected. Not really into horror so much.

William Forstchen - Post-Apocalypse. Once Second After, One Year After. I have The Final Day queued up for reading.

Michael Crichton - Adventure. Jurassic Park, The Lost World, others I can't remember right now

Clive Cussler - Adventure. Haven't read terribly many, but they've all been at least decent. Currently reading Spartan Gold right now. Not bad, but a little mushy with the lovey-dovey husband wife team. Not too mushy, but could become that way - the jury is still out on this "Fargo" series of Cussler's. Oregon Files and Dirk Pitt series are a bit better I think.

Suzanne Collins - Future dystopia. Hunger Games good, Catching Fire OK, Mockingjay finished it, but not interest in going further (which is good, since there is no "further" to this series!)

Jean Auel - Historical fiction. Valley of Horses was really good, The Mammoth Hunters good, Clan of the Cave Bear OK. I stalled in Plains of Passage and haven't gotten past 1/3 of the way through that one. Her books can be over-detailed and tedious at times. And I skipped over the parts describing Jondalar's manhood in "romance novel" detail.

I haven't read these guys yet, but I am planning to: Jeremy Robinson, Matthew Reilly, A.G. Riddle

I liked Robert Heinlein (Tunnel in the Sky) and Andre Norton (Here Abide Monsters) and other of their juvenile novels as a kid.

Last edited by haertig; 09-23-2017 at 08:06 PM.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #17
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Prime members get 1 free ebook per month..... since you only read on per month .....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I don't mind nosy at all! I'm also interested in getting good recommendations. Here are some of my favorites, arranged most-favorite-author first:

James Rollins - Adventure. I especially loved Subterranean, Ice Hunt, and Amazonia from his stand-alone novels. I bought the entire Sigma Force series, and have read through 75% of that. Sigma Force is very good. I've never found a James Rollins book that I didn't like, I'd rate them all either 4 or 5 stars.

Patrick Lee - Adventure. The Breech, Ghost Country. Both were very good. I have Deep Sky purchased, waiting in queue to be read now.

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - either together or individually. Adventure. I liked The Ice Limit and The Codex. Deep Freeze was OK. Relic was OK, but I didn't think that one was all as great as I had expected. Not really into horror so much.

William Forstchen - Post-Apocalypse. Once Second After, One Year After. I have The Final Day queued up for reading.

Michael Crichton - Adventure. Jurassic Park, The Lost World, others I can't remember right now

Clive Cussler - Adventure. Haven't read terribly many, but they've all been at least decent. Currently reading Spartan Gold right now. Not bad, but a little mushy with the lovey-dovey husband wife team. Not too mushy, but could become that way - the jury is still out on this "Fargo" series of Cussler's. Oregon Files and Dirk Pitt series are a bit better I think.

Suzanne Collins - Future dystopia. Hunger Games good, Catching Fire OK, Mockingjay finished it, but not interest in going further (which is good, since there is no "further" to this series!)

Jean Auel - Historical fiction. Valley of Horses was really good, The Mammoth Hunters good, Clan of the Cave Bear OK. I stalled in Plains of Passage and haven't gotten past 1/3 of the way through that one. Her books can be over-detailed and tedious at times. And I skipped over the parts describing Jondalar's manhood in "romance novel" detail.

I haven't read these guys yet, but I am planning to: Jeremy Robinson, Matthew Reilly, A.G. Riddle

I liked Robert Heinlein (Tunnel in the Sky) and Andre Norton (Here Abide Monsters) and other of their juvenile novels as a kid.
Hi. Please follow me.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
Bargains galore.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
If I stick with the eBooks, then I will probably buy a basic Kindle eReader. Nothing against the Nook Simple Touch, I actually like that eReader itself, but it seems that eBooks from B&N are more expensive than the same eBooks from Amazon.
Calibre and the plug-ins you mentioned will let you buy from Amazon and keep using your Nook.

As for your dilemma, eh, I'd buy the books. You're taking about a book a month.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:13 AM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Prime members get 1 free ebook per month..... since you only read on per month .....
Prime members can borrow one book per month from the Kindle Owners' Lending library, if they have an actual Amazon device, i.e. a Kindle or Fire.

Prime members can buy 1 book per month for free, from Kindle First, a group of 4-6 pre-release books. This book is yours to keep.

Prime members can also borrow books and magazines from Prime Reading, a sub-group of about 1,000 books and magazines. These can be read on a Kindle or Kindle app.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #21
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Buy, strip, convert, read at your leisure.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but we have a great library of PD ebooks here that are free to download at will. No current best sellers of course as those won't be in the PD but a good assortment of books to choose from in any event. And in both major formats i.e. epub and kindle as well as some in other formats.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but we have a great library of PD ebooks here that are free to download at will. No current best sellers of course as those won't be in the PD but a good assortment of books to choose from in any event. And in both major formats i.e. epub and kindle as well as some in other formats.
Link to the library
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=132
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #24
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The Fire would be good for magazines, and books with color pictures. The ease of use with Amazon is a huge plus for many users. Even for public library books, it is very easy and seamless as long as your library supports Kindle format.
Tablets are simply better for displaying graphics, color or B&W. I use my tablet whenever I realize that a book has even monochrome map attached. If I were a student, I would definitely use a tablet for reading. Not only is it better for graphics, but I can read both kindle and epub on a tablet.

As to where to find inexpensive ebooks, it's more difficult to find inexpensive best sellers and books that have a Buzz going on about them. Libraries are generally the best way to go for them.

And I find the "Deals, Freebies, and Resources" folder here on Mobileread.com invaluable for finding books of all sorts and popularity that are being promoted with a special or free price.

For new authors, and self published authors (my main interest), I am very pleased with Kindle Unlimited. It is a subscription service from Amazon that allow the subscriber, for the cost of a single paperback book a month, I have an "all you can eat" download availability for authors who sign up for this, lots of 'name' authors offer their older titles this way. I think it's a great deal.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #25
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I buy them on sale and rarely when first issued. I now have most of the books of three long series for between $2 - 5 by waiting. By watching the bargain threads, you'll be able to get deals. Most major publishers offer deals on earlier books when the next book in a series is coming out.

I am not garden dependent. I make certain I can remove DRM and then buy books from any of the big three and others, wherever I can get a deal.

Library books. Simply turn airplane mode on until you finish the book. You can then finish the book even though the return time has passed.

Make use of free libraries (Baen books for instance).

Share with someone- many books in Kindle and Nook gardens can be shared once. Find a friend with similar interests.

Buy one book a month. That's how I acquired paperbacks in the first place until I found Uncle Hugo's.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #26
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Ask for gift certificates for your favorite ebookstore(s) for your birthday!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #27
Panchax
Connoisseur
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glowlight
I read mostly old stuff, so it is free.
I have 3 library cards, each in a different library system, and intend to get a fourth, a NYPL (New York Public Library) card that should be worth more than the three I have put together. If you live or work or go to school somewhere, you can get a library card, and they never make you give it back.
Panchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:05 AM   #28
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Library books. Simply turn airplane mode on until you finish the book. You can then finish the book even though the return time has passed.
Now that's an interesting trick!

Unfortunately, I use my Kindle Fire for many other things than reading eBooks, so turning off internet access would not work for me. I doubt there is a "firewall" app I can install and configure on my Kindle Fire to block only the library traffic. I'll have to look, but I'm not hopeful of finding anything like that for Android (technically "FireOS" in my case).

Although, ... I could set up a VPN from my Kindle Fire to my home router and force all network traffic down the tunnel. I've already set that up when I first got this Kindle Fire, but normally I don't leave the VPN up 24x7, I only invoke the VPN when I want to secure WiFi traffic when I'm outside of my home. But I could leave the VPN up 24x7, and then implement the appropriate blocks on my home firewall.

Probably more effort than it's worth. Most certainly more effort than it's worth! However, being a computer engineer, network guy, and Linux guru by trade, I am intrigued just coming up with ideas like this. Even if they're impractical, they're good brain exercises.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:41 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
... I could set up a VPN from my Kindle Fire to my home router and force all network traffic down the tunnel. I've already set that up when I first got this Kindle Fire, but normally I don't leave the VPN up 24x7, I only invoke the VPN when I want to secure WiFi traffic when I'm outside of my home. But I could leave the VPN up 24x7, and then implement the appropriate blocks on my home firewall.
Roger, pay the two dollars

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-25-2017 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Adding a fun-filled link!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:58 AM   #30
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Roger, pay the two dollars
LOL

I can't remember when the last time I heard that was. Been quite a while!

Tags
uir