Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Another change I've noticed is that now I cannot borrow a KU book that I had previously purchased. Why would I want to do that, you ask. Because the KU book includes borrowing privileges for the Audible narration. A few weeks ago I used KU to borrow some public domain books I had previously purchased and that gave me access to the Audible versions; the other day I saw that I can't do it anymore; I only have the option to buy the Audible version, not to borrow it.
I did notice earlier that the book page for those kinds of books had changed, but I didn't realize I could no longer check them out. That is also disturbing! I am looking at it on my desktop, so maybe it's different on a device--though I doubt it. I have several in my WL that I had hoped to check out and listen to.

Quote:
An unintended consequence for Amazon is that this, along with the higher WSV pricing, makes the likelihood of my staying with KU plummet.
Same here. I always buy when the subscription is on sale, so I am good through November. But this makes me hesitate to continue.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-25-2017 at 02:06 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

Are they trying to drive away customers??
Probably trying to make some money. I mean in general even the price of a credit on Audible could be considered cheap for an audiobook (of course I remember what it cost to buy them on cassette and CD back in the day).

Does anyone know if Amazon/Audible takes the hit for the discount or if it's something the publisher has to agree to and that they take the hit?

I did just get the WS of a new release Baen title for $1.99 and the ones I've checked so far where I can remember what the WS price was haven't gone up to $7.49 yet. I guess time will tell how widespread things end up, hope it's not the end of an era.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, on both my Fire HD and my Fire Phone, I can still borrow KU books that I already own.

Also on those devices, I can sort the customary way.

I received a reply from CS, and he so nicely explained that the sorting is available in the shopping app. *sigh* such a pain to use the app instead of a computer.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-25-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Ok, on both my Fire HD and my Fire Phone, I can still borrow KU books that I already own.
Thanks, I was going to Amazon through my computer and then opening the Audible app on my phone to download the audio file. I will try it from the phone.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Probably trying to make some money. I mean in general even the price of a credit on Audible could be considered cheap for an audiobook (of course I remember what it cost to buy them on cassette and CD back in the day).
Yes, but there are an awful lot of books I'll buy for $2 and $3 that I will pass on for $7.50. I'll use the public library instead. Since I've had KU for the past few months, I've bought a bunch of the Audible versions because they've been cheap. I've also bought some Kindle/Audible pairs because they've come in at $5 for both. These are the equivalent of Lifetime movies and not worth more to me--I won't buy them at all at a higher price.
Advert
Old 05-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I totally hear you. If I'm suddenly unable to get some of these books at $2-$3 I won't be getting them at all. My public library currently offers 20,323 digital audiobooks through OverDrive (& I don't know how many more from another source) so I've been using them more and more.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #22
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tried it with my Fire tablet and don't see an option to borrow the KU book I already own.

Addendum: I was able to borrow the books on my phone, from the Chrome browser. Seems that Amazon might not have implemented the change for the mobile site. When I tried with the tablet, I was using the built-in app, not the Silk browser.

Last edited by Catlady; 05-25-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Another title went up. My wish list is getting very short!
Old 06-10-2017, 04:49 AM   #24
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
i checked my Whispersync wish list last night on Audible.com and over 3/4 had jumped to $8.99. I bought 3 that were still $2.39.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #25
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
For me the Audiobook is very much take it or leave it. Where available for $1.99 and sometimes even a little more I have bought it. I suspect that the problem may be to do with Audible profits. If you are buying the ebooks and can pick the Audiobooks up so cheaply, why would you want an audible membership? As more and more Audible books support whispersync the value of an audible credit to those buying the ebooks declines. It is hardly good value to use an audible credit to purchase an audiobook you can pick up for $1.99.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #26
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

They've upped the prices too much; from $2 to $7.50 is way too steep an increase. I'd still buy the books at $3.50 without too much complaining, but they've gotten too greedy.

And when is there going to be another good trial offer? It's been ages since there's been a new promo code.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
They've upped the prices too much; from $2 to $7.50 is way too steep an increase. I'd still buy the books at $3.50 without too much complaining, but they've gotten too greedy.

And when is there going to be another good trial offer? It's been ages since there's been a new promo code.
I agree. I flat out won't pay $7.49. I thought cheap WSV titles was one of the selling points of the whole KU system. What made them suddenly jack up so many prices? It's definitely not dictated by length. There seems to be no logic. Some series have WSV books for 7.49, and books in the same series 2.99. No logic at all.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:

Yup. I was slow off the mark and missed getting a bunch of wishlist books; I won't buy them now. In the end, with tons of books free to listen on OverDrive and Hoopla, I'll pay only so much. I wish the Hoopla app were better, but that's another thread. And the OverDrive app is fine.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #29
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:

I think they are experimenting with price, attempting to find a price point where customers will still buy ebooks and become or remain Audible subscribers. I doubt we are going to see $1.99 audiobooks again. What we may see after time and experimentation is perhaps $3 to $5 audiobooks with an ebook purchase but only for Audible subscribers. Just my guess.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #30
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I think they are experimenting with price, attempting to find a price point where customers will still buy ebooks and become or remain Audible subscribers. I doubt we are going to see $1.99 audiobooks again. What we may see after time and experimentation is perhaps $3 to $5 audiobooks with an ebook purchase but only for Audible subscribers. Just my guess.
The Kindle First books this month all seem to have a $1.99 price for the accompanying audiobook, and I've picked up some other audiobooks for $1.99 after borrowing the KU book.