Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given a choice between the Voyage or the Oasis, it would be the Voyage hands down.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #17
lllusion
Enthusiast
lllusion began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Oh sharts now I need to buy a Voyager.

Yall know what sucks? I can't export notes on my Oasis like I can on my Paperwhite...

I believe the reason is because I jailbroke the Oasis and I'm stuck on 5.7.4 for now - that was the latest one I saw in the jailbreak thread.
lllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2017, 03:05 AM   #18
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it's about what you'd expect. You'll probably get about 7h or so reading time from the internal battery.
... except if you have the light all the way off. The light appears to comprise a really rather large proportion of the machine's total power budget: with it turned off, I get 12h--13h from a single internal battery charge, giving a total of perhaps *60h* (starting from fully-charged Oasis and cover) before the thing is depleted.

That's longer than any other Kindle ever -- but you have to go back to the external light and greyish screen of non-lit Kindles to get it, so I do this only if I know I won't be anywhere near a charger for days and will be reading a lot.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:00 AM   #19
henders254
Enthusiast
henders254 began at the beginning.

Device: None at the moment
Deleted

Last edited by henders254; 07-06-2017 at 04:54 AM.
henders254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #20
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by henders254 View Post
I found that for all side loaded books (converted via calibre), there's not a lot of line margin/ gap compared to pw1.
There's a formatting/layout option (in the Oasis settings) to increase/decrease margins & line spacing.

I sideload all my books from Calibre and find the minimum margin fine - certainly not too narrow. This is with either epubs converted to kfx or azw3.

I've gone to converting all my epubs to azw3 with JSWOLF's ChareInk font embedded, indented paragraphs and then hyphenation added using the 'hyphenate this' plug in. Luvvly, jubbly.

Coming from a Sony T3 I've been very pleased - it's my first backlit ereader, and under low lighting it is very helpful.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
- - -
Coming from a Sony T3 I've been very pleased - it's my first backlit ereader, and under low lighting it is very helpful.
Your Kindle is front lighted, it does not have a back light.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:29 AM   #22
henders254
Enthusiast

Deleted

Last edited by henders254; 07-06-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #23
lllusion
Enthusiast
lllusion began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
It certainly grew on me. It's my main preference now, and go check out how I felt at the beginning of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henders254 View Post
I bought and returned the oasis when it first came out and am still using the 2012 paperwhite. I found that for all side loaded books (converted via calibre), there's not a lot of line margin/ gap compared to pw1. There were shadows in dark room coming from the right hand side of the device which was just distracting and gets in the way of reading. Not sure amazon has fixed this. There's also a lot of fiddling around with putting the cover on and off. I found the weight with cover same as pw1 with cover. it still doesn't have blue light blocking mechanism. battery doesn't last any longer than pw1.

I also found it cumbersome to hold in bed with one side bigger than the other.

Bottom line: there's not much difference between 2012 pw1 and oasis that's worth paying 4 times more.
The answer is horizontal mode. The main visual discrepancy (cones and "shadows" from them if that's what you're referencing? I'm still honestly new to a lot of this..) is on the side when using it in normal mode. Therefore if it's bad on your particular device, you'll see it every time you get to the end of a line. In the horizontal layout you'll only slightly see it when you read at the bottom of the page on the last one or two sentence lines. This is only really when reading at night with the brightness turned up. And even then in this case, on mine, it's not very noticeable at all and doesn't bug me. But yeah, I get it. We're paying a premium so you'd expect no visual discrepancies at all.

Anyway, horizontal layout gives you fat wide margins on a tiny super light device with symmetrical and even weight - coupled with awesome ergonomics. Kobo readers boast about the fat margins but those devices are bigger and heavier, and you can probably have about the same margin length with the Oasis horizontal (would need someone who has used both to verify). In terms of ergonomics, the "handle bulge" part of it runs all along the bottom, perfectly symmetrical and balanced, and you can hook your pointer finger right at the base of the bulge. Like a lever you hold most of the weight at the bottom based into your hand, and the light screen part is effortless to hold up. Also, you can have your thumb horizontally across both buttons in an easy comfortable manner, being able to quickly move pages back or forward without needing any type of repositioning. And since it's symmetrical it's the exact same comfortable positioning if you swap hands. For lighting at night and sleep I just wear specific orange glasses that block harmful blue light; the Oasis screen is dim orange for me in this scenario.

Latest pic of the duo:

That cheap $6 stand off amazon can hold the Oasis too - so I don't agree with arguments I've seen saying the Oasis is bad for when you're eating compared to a Voyager with the Origami cover. Stand is off center in the pic to bug the OCD people (but in all honesty I'm the OCD one and didn't notice at first).

Last edited by lllusion; 04-13-2017 at 05:04 PM.
lllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #24
henders254
Enthusiast

deleted

Last edited by henders254; 07-06-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The cycle we'll then go through is:

1. It'll be announced.
2. Early adopters will say it's the greatest device ever.
3. Some minor flaw will be found.
4. There will be a flood of messages saying it's the worst device any company has ever released, and how dare Amazon inflict this disaster upon the world!
5. Things will settle down, with most people liking it and a few not liking it.

Thus it has ever been .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote