Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Hopefully for those with said Fire tablets the Alexa feature will work better than the crappy Alexa app does on them. The Alexa app on my iOS devices works way better and faster than the app does on my Fire HD 6. On the HD 6 it is so slow that I often think it has crashed when it hasn't. Just slow. And it won't stay in the Playing Now screen very long without screwing up. I realize this is the Alexa app and not the Alexa feature, but still Amazon is known for crappy software and FW. And their hardware is not that great any more either. My Fire HD 6 will completely drain a fully charged battery in four or five days of no usage at all. Charge battery, let sit unused for five days, and wallah a dead Fire HD 6. I have to leave it plugged in.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #17
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Actually Alexa they added IS the APP! Except you now cant Uninstall it! Well at least I could Turn it Off.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #18
pgnds
Patty
pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-3, Fire 1st & 5 gen 8"
I have the app. This is more then the app. You can,t ask the app to play music or ask ?,
get your news, I like it

Last edited by pgnds; 11-19-2016 at 06:18 AM.
pgnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use Siri all the time on my iPhone and iPad. Can anyone who's used both make a comparison between them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I use Siri all the time on my iPhone and iPad. Can anyone who's used both make a comparison between them?
They a very similar Harry. Of course you can do things with Siri like dictate text messages and emails that Alexa cannot do. However you can ask Alexa to play music, look up answers to questions, and control home items like lights, switches, thermostats, etc. Siri can also do that. I too use Siri on occasion, and I think it can probably do more, but Siri has been around a long time compared to Alexa so it should be way more advanced and polished. The one main difference in Alexa is that if you use an Echo or Dot then you can just say "Alexa, do ..." rather than having to pull out your phone or tablet and physically activate Siri (or Alexa on Tap/phones/tablets/Fire TVs).

Last edited by jswinden; 11-19-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Advert
Old 11-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Jack - that's very helpful. Shame there's no speech to text capability; that's a feature I use frequently on my iPad. It works amazingly well.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-19-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
After playing with Alexa on my Fire 7, I find that it's not a useful feature for me because the tablet is too large and its speaker is too weak.

I'll be interested if Amazon ever gets around to offering it in Android phones; but not until then.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #23
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
My Fire HD 8 has been upgraded and i've got the Alexa app now. I'm totally confused though p, how am I supposed to use it?

I read that I need to hold the home button down to activate it. That brings up a search circle but that's all, I've done that within the app and from the home screen.

I feel a real pratt talking to a tablet that completely ignores me

The settings history is empty.

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-20-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #24
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
You could start by asking for the book you are reading...see what happens
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:33 AM   #25
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You could start by asking for the book you are reading...see what happens
Alexa doesn't read kindle books in the U.K. Even on an Echo or Dot.

I've tried asking for weather, prime music and my audiobook but I can't see that Alexa is even listening. As I said the history in settings is empty and that is supossed to keep a record of any requests. I don't know exactly how I am supossed to ask Alexa anything as it would seem what I am doing, which is pressing the "O" home button and talking to my Fire, isn't working.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:31 AM   #26
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

It appears Amazon are being their normal obnoxious self. The Alexa app in the U.K. Which is preinstalled does not work like it does in the US. It's been added for the "convenience" of those buying an Echo or Dot!

I'be added it to the unwanted but can't uninstall apps folder.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #27
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I don't know exactly how I am supossed to ask Alexa anything as it would seem what I am doing, which is pressing the "O" home button and talking to my Fire, isn't working.
I press and hold the home button, the "O" in the center of the bottom menu. After about a second it beeps and a blue line with a green center appears near the bottom of the screen. Release the button. Alexa is then listening and responds to spoken requests.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:36 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It appears Amazon are being their normal obnoxious self. The Alexa app in the U.K. Which is preinstalled does not work like it does in the US. It's been added for the "convenience" of those buying an Echo or Dot!
So what on Earth is it actually for, then? How does having a Fire tablet help people who have an Echo or Dot?
Old 11-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #29
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
My Fire HD 8 has been upgraded and i've got the Alexa app now. I'm totally confused though p, how am I supposed to use it?

I read that I need to hold the home button down to activate it. That brings up a search circle but that's all, I've done that within the app and from the home screen.

I feel a real pratt talking to a tablet that completely ignores me

The settings history is empty.
I felt like a dork talking to my fire tab and it ignored me too
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #30
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So what on Earth is it actually for, then? How does having a Fire tablet help people who have an Echo or Dot?
I wish I knew

This is an extract of the email Amazon customer services sent me.

"I'm sorry to hear about the trouble that you're having with Alexa app on your Kindle Fire device.

I understand your concern regarding accessing Alexa App on your Kindle Fire device.

I've checked and see that, as the OS of Kindle Fire devices is updated, Alexa is pre-installed app in the new version of the software and I'm afraid to inform you that this cannot be used in UK and it cannot be deleted from your device as it is pre-installed.

We're receiving the same query from many of our customers and I'd like to inform you that we've escalated this issue to our technical team and they are working to resolve this issue.

Further, I'd like to inform you that Amazon Alexa App is a companion to Echo device for setup, remote control, and enhanced features. Hence you require the device to use the Alexa app."