Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep. I appreciate all reviews. I particularly appreciate those that give me a feel for the book. I read them, read samples and choose to either purchase, borrow from library or forget about. It's simple. What I despise are whiners on the internet.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
.... In addition, many many people on Goodreads read and review ARCs (I'm one of them), ....
Yep. My review of The Best Small Fictions 2016 is up on Goodreads now due to the publisher providing me with an ARC. The review will go on Amazon as well once the book appears.
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Oh yes ARCs.
What Jon may not realize is those people may have read the book before it was released to the public. All the big publishers and some authors send out advance review copies to some readers to get feedback and reviews to be used in marketing at least a month to 6 weeks before the book is available to the public.

So those reviews may not be bogus.

Now I would suggest if one doesn't like how a site does the ratings and reviews, don't use that site.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Oh yes ARCs.
What Jon may not realize is those people may have read the book before it was released to the public. All the big publishers and some authors send out advance review copies to some readers to get feedback and reviews to be used in marketing at least a month to 6 weeks before the book is available to the public.

So those reviews may not be bogus.

Now I would suggest if one doesn't like how a site does the ratings and reviews, don't use that site.
But, Why nor mention in the review 'ARC reviewed'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #20
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I think anyone that takes website ratings for ANYTHING (not just books) as gospel needs a "check-up from the neck-up".
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #21
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I think anyone that takes website ratings for ANYTHING (not just books) as gospel needs a "check-up from the neck-up".
Old 08-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #22
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Which is exactly what I did in my review linked above.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Well according to the FTC, one is supposed to say they got a copy free for a review.
But many don't do that.
I always do.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #24
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Well according to the FTC, one is supposed to say they got a copy free for a review.
But many don't do that.
I always do.
Jon isn't talking about reviews but ratings. It's not the same. If you write a review for an ARC, you should include it in your review, but you can rate a book without writing reviews. And it is something goodreads allows and it has said in a lot of threads at the feedback forum that they are not going to change it, so we could move this post to the vent and rant thread
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #25
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Jon isn't talking about reviews but ratings. It's not the same. If you write a review for an ARC, you should include it in your review, but you can rate a book without writing reviews. And it is something goodreads allows and it has said in a lot of threads at the feedback forum that they are not going to change it, so we could move this post to the vent and rant thread
My post was in answer to ducks about reviews.
My post to Jon was a few up.

And no Goodreads shouldn't change.
It is a website. There is NO law that says one must use this website to find books. So if one doesn't like it, they should not visit it.
See now what the OP finds less than useless, other people may find his post and decide oh that is exactly what i am looking for. So in a sense his rant probably helped more than hurt Goodreads.

That is exactly why if I don't like the way ANY company or website does business, you will NOT find me ranting about them by name because I don't want to give them even 1 click.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #26
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Oh geez, that Goodreads page is terrible. Can us younger folk not turn everything we're obsessed with into memes these days? The culture today is so different to the early 2000's when all the dedicated websites and forums were around and we actually had real discussions about the series. All these "reviews" sound like the garbage I'd post in my LiveJournal when I was a teenager.

Only allowing ratings after the release wouldn't have made a big difference. It would probably be even worse.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #27
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Oh geez, that Goodreads page is terrible. Can us younger folk not turn everything we're obsessed with into memes these days? The culture today is so different to the early 2000's when all the dedicated websites and forums were around and we actually had real discussions about the series. All these "reviews" sound like the garbage I'd post in my LiveJournal when I was a teenager.

Only allowing ratings after the release wouldn't have made a big difference. It would probably be even worse.
You should probably not use the site then as mentioned above.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #28
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
My post was in answer to ducks about reviews.
My post to Jon was a few up.
Yes, you're right, sorry.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Oh geez, that Goodreads page is terrible. Can us younger folk not turn everything we're obsessed with into memes these days? The culture today is so different to the early 2000's when all the dedicated websites and forums were around and we actually had real discussions about the series.
This old folk quite likes the Goodreads experience. Including the reviews, the ratings, and the "real" conversations with friends and acquaintances.

It is what you make it, though. If you have no real friends on Goodreads, for instance, quality conversation probably would be hard to come by.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-01-2016 at 02:49 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #30
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Yes, you're right, sorry.
No worries. It happens. Just don't ever misread 1 2/3 cup for 23 ounces. You will wind up with Sloppy Tomato instead of Sloppy Joes.
I did just that on Saturday.