Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #16
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I use audiobooks to help fall asleep all the time. I usually set the sleep timer for 15 minutes, and I use the "shake to reset timer" option if I haven't fallen asleep by the end of the 15 minutes. The app I use keeps track of where I start, so if I fall asleep I can go back to the point I started up from.

I use Sleepphones, they don't disturb my husband and are comfortable to wear while sleeping. I sleep on my side, and I don't feel the headphones at all through the headband.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #17
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Those look pretty cool... saving to a wishlist! Most of the time hubby goes to bed waaaay after me but when he doesn't he tends to complain about my 'noise' (audiobook).
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #18
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I purposely defocus my eyes --- and then do it again and again if I slip and start thinking about something and refocus them. When falling asleep during a lecture (er, sermon, actually) I had the hardest time keeping my eyes from defocussing, leading to sleep .... so I purposely reverse the process to GO to sleep.

But yeah, my CPAP low noise helps too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I can't listen to audiobooks while in bed. I'll be asleep in a few minutes, even when I really want to listen to the book!

Those sleepphones reminded me I need to buy one for my mother....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #20
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I can't listen to audiobooks while in bed. I'll be asleep in a few minutes, even when I really want to listen to the book!

Those sleepphones reminded me I need to buy one for my mother....
I'm like that except I can listen lying down if the lights are on, but in a dark or dimly lit room I start nodding off. I hate it when I fall asleep and then find I am hours into an audio book or text-to-speech ebook. Contrariwise I find listening to an audio book a great habit to wind me down to get to sleep--just leave the light on until I'm ready to crash
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2016, 12:56 AM   #21
abqkjh
Zealot
abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abqkjh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto e5
I find it very difficult to fall asleep without a book playing. I choose books that I have already listened to repeatedly. It is important that they don't have any abrupt changes in volume or screechy voices.

Not being married, I use an external speaker designed to be tucked under your pillow.
abqkjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #22
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My go-to is the Star Wars radio plays. I love them, and they are not dull, but i find them soothing. I used to use a little under-pillow speaker, but now I also have SleepPhones.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Not having a sleep timer for audiobooks, I've never tried to use one to lull me to sleep. Regular books seem to do that fine most nights, as the combination of lying down and reading seems to work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
To get to sleep quickly, look for a radio infomercial about refinancing your mortgage.
On the other side of the equation, I wish I could get an alarm clock that played the commercials of a certain lawyer in our area. They could wake the dead. His hammering, sirens, crash sounds, and angry, roaring voice (he sounds like a two year old whose tantrum has been recorded with the bass all the way up) has awakened many in our area at 3 a.m. who foolishly tried to fall asleep to the TV.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My wife listens to podcasts or the radio to go to sleep. I can't go to sleep with any voices in the room - I just listen to the words and can't get to sleep at all.

The absolute best gadget over 20 years of trying out ways to let my wife listen while I hear nothing has been SleepPhones. Readily available, e.g. Amazon. A soft fabric headband containing flat speakers. The speakers are removable so that the headband can be washed. The speakers sit right on the ear, but are so flat they are comfortable even if you sleep on your side with your ear on the pillow. Worth every penny.

[EDIT: One more case of I should read to the end before commenting! Just take it as another vote for sleepphones.]
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #25
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re: SleepPhones, unless Amazon is offering a better deal (which they sometimes do) I suggest ordering SleepPhones directly from Acoustic Sheep. They update the design and the electronics from time to time, and they always send the newest models. Third party stock can often be a bit older. Acoustic Sheep is good with service either way, but if the price is the same, I thinks it's nice to go direct.
NFI, just based on my experience.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
My wife listens to podcasts or the radio to go to sleep. I can't go to sleep with any voices in the room - I just listen to the words and can't get to sleep at all.

The absolute best gadget over 20 years of trying out ways to let my wife listen while I hear nothing has been SleepPhones. Readily available, e.g. Amazon. A soft fabric headband containing flat speakers. The speakers are removable so that the headband can be washed. The speakers sit right on the ear, but are so flat they are comfortable even if you sleep on your side with your ear on the pillow. Worth every penny.

[EDIT: One more case of I should read to the end before commenting! Just take it as another vote for sleepphones.]
They look as if they could double as a sleep blindfold. In any case. I just ordered one, as I just discovered a few minutes ago that Amazon Now delivers to my zip code. They claim a delivery speed of one hour. We'll see. It's 11:30 as I write this.

One-hour delivery is the good news. The bad news is that Prime Now cost an extra $7.99 for delivery, plus a recommended tip of $5.00 for the driver. But that's not too shoddy if you absolutely HAVE to have something NOW and don't feel like making the trip to the Mall yourself.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #27
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
I have a similar type of headphones by Tooks...some materials creep me out and these work pretty well...Noticed them when I bought my daughter a winter hat with the headphones built in.

When My insomnia is only a little bad listening to showtunes/soundscapes on my local cable channel just a tiny bit below a normal volume helps (mostly no words). When it gets a little worse, a golf program on the TV helps ALOT.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
They look as if they could double as a sleep blindfold. In any case. I just ordered one, as I just discovered a few minutes ago that Amazon Now delivers to my zip code. They claim a delivery speed of one hour. We'll see. It's 11:30 as I write this....
It's already here. I just stepped out of the shower and my wife had to answer the door.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #29
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It's already here. I just stepped out of the shower and my wife had to answer the door.
Wow, Holy Instant Gratification, Batman!

And yes, my wife does wear hers over her eyes. I don't like them that way, for my self.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #30
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I find that my sleepphones tend to last about 18 months before one of the speakers goes out. When I had to replace my most recent set last month, I found that you can buy just the speakers, and slide them into your existing headband. The speakers alone are a little cheaper, at $29.99 on Amazon.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote