Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Nice. Thanks!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
At some future point, we hope to add 5 user-assignable buttons to launch their most frequently used plugins.
@KevinH - Would it be possible to also have 5 user assignable keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #18
philja
Zealot
philja began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I like linux for various reasons, but Debian and most other distros lag terribly in pushing updated versions of non-security-critical software.

And the few that keep up to date basically boil down to Gentoo and Arch.
Arch doesn't always carry pre-compiled software -- it depends how popular it is and whether a Trusted User sponsors it.
Hi eschartz : thanks for the info on Arch. I'll look into that in a while.

The reason I chose Debian when I got my hands on the old Dell was that my main working machine, the desktop, is on UbuntuStudio and I thought I could use the Dell to explore new packages without risking upsetting the main box if things went badly.

It's true that both Ubuntu and Debian lag well behind the bleeding edge on most applications.
philja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #19
philja
Zealot

Quote:
Hi philja,
The testplugin.zip requires Python 3.4 or later. The flghtcrew plugin runs on either Python 2.7 or python 3. My guess is you have only set the path to the python 2.7 interpreter.
KevinH
Hi Kevin :

No ... I did use auto and it found /usr/bin/python3 and so I used the SET button and found and set to /usr/bin/python3.4 I didn't set anything at all on the top line for python2.

I have repeated this this morning and same result. Sigil treats the testplugin_v010.zip as "Error: Plugin not a valid Sigil plugin."

I downloaded the testplugin_v010.zip file a second time in case it had been corrupted. But sigil always rejects it.

I still cannot reconcile the instruction in Step 5 in the testing para of document BuildingOnLinux.md which refers to Plugins->Manage Plugins ->Edit to what I see in PluginManager. I don't see any edit option in the ManagePlugins dialogue. I don't see it in either 0.8.6 or 0.9.0 so there must be a misunderstanding somewhere.

Thanks for the explanation of where sigil is going and why Sanitycheck replaces Flightcrew on 0.9.0 as a response to F7. Flightcrew works fine even if it is slightly longer process to get it into action.

The same Building Sigil on linux document also refers to a lot of "standard" modules (besides six and lxml) that ship with binary windows versions to make use of plugins.

I can't find anything about plugins in the user manual. Can you point me to where I find information about what plugins are available ?
Thanks.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by philja View Post
No ... I did use auto and it found /usr/bin/python3 and so I used the SET button and found and set to /usr/bin/python3.4 I didn't set anything at all on the top line for python2.

I have repeated this this morning and same result. Sigil treats the testplugin_v010.zip as "Error: Plugin not a valid Sigil plugin."

I downloaded the testplugin_v010.zip file a second time in case it had been corrupted. But sigil always rejects it.
That's very strange. The test plugin installs fine for me on my various Linux installations. Please verify that you have not renamed the plugin's zip file. That will definitely break things and cause the error message you are seeing. Plugins' zip files have a strict naming convention that must match internal names/structures.

Quote:
I still cannot reconcile the instruction in Step 5 in the testing para of document BuildingOnLinux.md which refers to Plugins->Manage Plugins ->Edit to what I see in PluginManager. I don't see any edit option in the ManagePlugins dialogue. I don't see it in either 0.8.6 or 0.9.0 so there must be a misunderstanding somewhere.
That's my fault. I copied portions of Kevin's text from his instructions for OS X users. The menus vary slightly on OS X compared to Linux/Windows. What you're looking for is Plugins->Edit->testplugin. "Edit" is the type of plugin: there are Edit, Validation, Input, and Output types of plugins. The testplugin is an "Edit" plugin and will be found under that subheading when looking to run the plugin.

I'll fix the oversight/confusion in the BuildingOnLinux document.

Quote:
The same Building Sigil on linux document also refers to a lot of "standard" modules (besides six and lxml) that ship with binary windows versions to make use of plugins.
The Windows and OS X versions of Sigil come with a bundled Python installation that includes all of those modules. Meaning many plugin devs will be utilizing them in their plugins. If you want to be able to run all user-created plugins (which may very-well make of some or all of those modules), you may want to install them on Linux so Sigil can use them without error.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-24-2015 at 10:13 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #21
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Can you point me to where I find information about what plugins are available ?
The Sigil Plugin Index lists all available plugins. (All of them are Python 3 compatible, except for one plugin written by kbanelas and two plugins written by rubeus.)

BTW, the testplugin works fine on my vanilla Debian 8 machine.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #22
philja
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The Sigil Plugin Index lists all available plugins. (All of them are Python 3 compatible, except for one plugin written by kbanelas and two plugins written by rubeus.)

BTW, the testplugin works fine on my vanilla Debian 8 machine.
Thanks for the link Doitsu
Old 11-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #23
philja
Zealot

Hi DiapDealer :

Quote:
That's very strange. The test plugin installs fine for me on my various Linux installations. Please verify that you have not renamed the plugin's zip file. That will definitely break things and cause the error message you are seeing. Plugins' zip files have a strict naming convention that much match internal names/structures.
This got me looking at my download procedure. And my inexperience with github is at fault here. I just went to the link provided, saw "testplugin_v010.zip" on the bottom of the doc listings and right clicked and downloaded. This got me a file of the good name, 42.5kb in size, a text file not recognised as an archive.

This time, I clicked on the "testplugin_v010.zip" and opened in a new tab. Wondering what to do in that new tab, I saw a 'view raw' link which when clicked gave me an invite to save to disk. The download was of exactly the same name but only 3kb and was really an archive.

Needless to say, it loads correctly into sigil.

Obviously no one has met a dumbo like me on the forum or they would have suggested I could have been downloading from github in an incorrect manner. I was merely doing what I had been doing on internet since 1991. Clearly I have stuff to learn about github.

Sorry about that.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Obviously no one has met a dumbo like me on the forum or they would have suggested I could have been downloading from github in an incorrect manner. I was merely doing what I had been doing on internet since 1991. Clearly I have stuff to learn about github.

Sorry about that.
Don't worry about it. It's good for us to remember that this stuff is not second-nature to everybody. Besides ... you've successfully built Sigil from scratch with nothing but a couple of pointers. The term Dumbo cannot be applied.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #25
philja
Zealot

I have run testplugin and installed missing modules with the exception of pillow. Installation of pillow fails with this message :

"--enable-jpeg requested but jpeg not found"

Another clue needed please. Synaptic Package Manager shows I have python-pil 2.6.1-2 installed and its dependency libjpeg62-turbo 1:1.3.1-12

So it would appear that sigil pillow is looking for something else ?
Old 11-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #26
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I have run testplugin and installed missing modules with the exception of pillow. Installation of pillow fails with this message :

"--enable-jpeg requested but jpeg not found"
IIRC, you'll also need to install the libjjpeg62-dev package or a similar libjjpeg development package.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #27
philja
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
IIRC, you'll also need to install the libjjpeg62-dev package or a similar libjjpeg development package.
Thanks, Doitsu. That was it. Once I installed libjpeg62-turbo-dev, pillow installed with no error. And then the testplugin ran with no remaining errors.

Thanks to all.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #28
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Can anyone explain why on Linux they separate the headers from the library? Especially for a system library like libjpeg? Wouldn't it be better to keep the two together as the headers take up only a small space?

Or alternatively if you want to separate out the headers, then create one package for all of the main system level libraries so that people who try to build on Linux (and that is really everyone at some point isn't it) don't have to go hunting to get both the key basic libraries and their headers?

Short, that I would to be able to check just one box during install that says I want to compile my own packages and then have it auto install all of the main libraries and their headers?

I could not find something like that with my Mint 17 Cinnamon install last year and spent forever trying to remember what package provides the basic libraries and their headers as I used to use RedHat Enterprise and was used to different package names completely.

Just grouching ...

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Hi eschartz : thanks for the info on Arch. I'll look into that in a while.

The reason I chose Debian when I got my hands on the old Dell was that my main working machine, the desktop, is on UbuntuStudio and I thought I could use the Dell to explore new packages without risking upsetting the main box if things went badly.

It's true that both Ubuntu and Debian lag well behind the bleeding edge on most applications.
Yeah, Arch is awesome, especially for learning.

You did see my XKCD link on the evolution of a linux user?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #30
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Hi,

Can anyone explain why on Linux they separate the headers from the library? Especially for a system library like libjpeg? Wouldn't it be better to keep the two together as the headers take up only a small space?

Or alternatively if you want to separate out the headers, then create one package for all of the main system level libraries so that people who try to build on Linux (and that is really everyone at some point isn't it) don't have to go hunting to get both the key basic libraries and their headers?

Short, that I would to be able to check just one box during install that says I want to compile my own packages and then have it auto install all of the main libraries and their headers?

I could not find something like that with my Mint 17 Cinnamon install last year and spent forever trying to remember what package provides the basic libraries and their headers as I used to use RedHat Enterprise and was used to different package names completely.

Just grouching ...

KevinH
Because they expect most users to not need those headers, and it saves a few MB (max) per package.

And debian-based distros absolutely LOVE splitting packages into dozens of sub-packages. I don't know why.

As I said above, with ArchLinux it "Just Works".
I can build sigil from scratch just by making sure the linked qt5 libraries (qt5-webkit which pulls in the rest from qt5-base) and python packages are installed. Plus the handful of components that the build system itself needs (git, cmake, qt5-tools for translation building...) Headers for everything come with the package that created it, because Arch expects that you will likely end up compiling things yourself.

Or alternatively, because Arch follows the KISS philosophy, and splitting the headers is more hassle than it's worth.
About the only thing I can think of that is split, are the kernel headers for building modules. And there's 35 MB worth of them, so it's worth it...

I've decided that Debian just likes making things hard for the sake of making them hard. Great end-user distro, if you don't need to fiddle with the guts, but once you need to do develop... just run away screaming as fast as you can.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-24-2015 at 03:41 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote