Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Oh, one of those designs just like the sliding battery compartment covers on many devices - -
Try to close it or open it without pressing on the correct edge, and that cover isn't going to work.

Not a big concern, they make Duct Tape in a dull black color which is a decent match for the color of the Kindle.

Last edited by knc1; 08-04-2015 at 08:12 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #17
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
Anybody know if this will work on the 3g version as well?
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
Anybody know if this will work on the 3g version as well?
Makes no difference, your only* installing our signature certificate in the certificate store.

- - - -

*Well, that is its basic function, over time it has grown some additional duties, but the principle has not changed.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:10 AM   #19
sumpin
Enthusiast
sumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to behold

Device: down to just a PW4
Amazing step-by-step! Thank you so much for posting. The serial cable made it very straight forward. I used an old Cat5 cable, blue tack (to hold it place) and conductive paint instead of solder.

Pedantics:
Step 20: I found a '*' instead of a '!'
Step 22: no password required
Step 23: Had to "mntroot rw" before "passwd" and "mntroot ro" afterwards

Unrelated:
After installing usbnet, I still had to add "-A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT" to /etc/sysconfig/iptables so allow ssh over wifi.

My donation to the cause:
Games of Thrones themed 1072 x 1448 greyscale screensaver images for the Voyage (and PW3?). Unzip all files to create a directory called kvss. The rename.sh script will rename the files from 00 for the kindle into a sub-directory called tmpss.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-08-2015 at 10:14 AM.
sumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpin View Post
- - - -
Pedantics:
Step 20: I found a '*' instead of a '!'
Step 22: no password required
Step 23: Had to "mntroot rw" before "passwd" and "mntroot ro" afterwards
20: A password had been set by the time you looked.
22: That is what the directions say. The notation '' (two single quotes) means "no password - just press return".
23: You do not have to set a password at this point, since the only access is by hardwired cable (I.E: It is (**should**) be physically secure.
Quote:
Unrelated:
After installing usbnet, I still had to add "-A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT" to /etc/sysconfig/iptables so allow ssh over wifi.
Ah, no you don't, the USBnetworking add-in handles that, when, **IF** you follow its directions.
Quote:
My donation to the cause:
Games of Thrones themed 1072 x 1448 greyscale screensaver images for the Voyage (and PW3?). Unzip all files to create a directory called kvss. The rename.sh script will rename the files from 00 for the kindle into a sub-directory called tmpss.
What is the copyright status of these files?
Are they in the public domain or what license are they distributed under?
From where?
Did you create them yourself?

Last edited by knc1; 08-08-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Advert
Old 08-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Sumpin, your attachments have been unapproved until you provide evidence that they are either in the public domain, or that you have the permission of the copyright holder to redistribute them. Please send me a PM with this evidence. If I do not hear from you within 24h, the files will be deleted.

Thank you.

Edit: Attachments deleted since the poster is unaware of their copyright status.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-08-2015 at 10:44 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #22
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
Can anyone advise if this cable will work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RYV...L8L&ref=plSrch
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:40 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

I don't see how it gets set to 1v8 interface voltage.
(Maybe programmed by a special driver?)

Get a link from the seller to the technical datasheet and maybe I can answer your question.
Better ask about the driver requirements also.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #24
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

I went ahead and ordered the one detailed in this thread.

Anyone willing to pioneer the world of 5.6.5 and this jailbreak method on the voyage?
Old 08-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
I went ahead and ordered the one detailed in this thread.

Anyone willing to pioneer the world of 5.6.5 and this jailbreak method on the voyage?
It will work.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #26
thoreau
Enthusiast

Good to hear, I'll upgrade tonight and try the jailbreak on it when the cable arrives on Thursday.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #27
thoreau
Enthusiast

Can't say it was easy, but then I was trying to adapt the "ethernet jack and tape method." Can't say I'd recommend it, but I think the frustration was worth avoiding the anxiety of soldering to spots that tiny. A factory reset when things started getting weird and about 3 hours later, everything is jailbroken. Glad to be through that. With USBNet up and running, hopefully the kindle can stay put together permanently.

My path was this from 5.6.0.1:

Update over USB to 5.6.5
Try to jailbreak
Fail miserably
Factory reset
Correctly apply jailbreak
Profit

Thanks to all and especially the OP for the walkthrough.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:20 AM   #28
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast
LastSilmaril began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 3G, KV 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
Can't say it was easy, but then I was trying to adapt the "ethernet jack and tape method."
As in, you just taped down the wires to the contact points with electrical tape or something? That sounds...incorrect

Last edited by LastSilmaril; 08-27-2015 at 06:24 AM.
LastSilmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:29 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSilmaril View Post
As in, you just taped down the wires to the contact points with electrical tape or something? That sounds...incorrect
It has been done and reported here.
(Without any mention of "easy". )

A bit fragile, but it only needs to last long enough to run a very few commands to get the jail break installed.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #30
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast
LastSilmaril began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 3G, KV 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It has been done and reported here.
(Without any mention of "easy". )

A bit fragile, but it only needs to last long enough to run a very few commands to get the jail break installed.
No, I meant, I wasn't sure I understood how it was done. There was talk of using some kind of electrical paint? And I don't know which kind. Thanks for clarifying though.
In the meantime, I found a US source for the cable used here.

Last edited by LastSilmaril; 08-27-2015 at 03:25 PM.
LastSilmaril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serial jailbreak