Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post

I reserve judgment on the Authors Alliance until such time as they say or do something specific enough to be judged.
My take is that traditional publishing won't change significantly, for commetcial or academic writers, as long as there are takers for the predatory "industry standard" contracts.

Any attempt at significant change has to start there. Otherwise, it's just another exercise in belling the cat.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 AM   #17
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
My take is that traditional publishing won't change significantly, for commetcial or academic writers, as long as there are takers for the predatory "industry standard" contracts.

Any attempt at significant change has to start there. Otherwise, it's just another exercise in belling the cat.
I agree with you that "standard" (i.e., routinely exploitative) contracts are horrendous, but unknown writers tend not to be steely or experienced enough to bargain. The pain threshold of the desperate should not define the rights of authors any more than it does the limits of humane treatment in factories.

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire resulted in more humane conditions for North American workers not because people suddenly stopped being willing to risk their lives but because lawmakers decided that employers should not be in the position to tell workers do so. In my crumpled opinion, a spectacularly unfair contract offered under duress is comparable to that sitch financially.

Still, there are cases in which terrible deals are preludes to later power. Saying yes to that first compromise is disastrous in some cases, but in others, it brings enough exposure to place artists in positions of power, which allows them to refuse later compromises and move forward with their careers.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-19-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert