Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I agree with Chaley, Nice router and one of the nicest users guides I have seen so far. They did not forget (my pet peave) to include the screw hole template for those doing (high up) wall mounting

I am not sure why connecting storage to the router would be much different than elsewhere on the network. Because of no A/V?

I would check that the Guest account has a different SSID and Password

The Status section in the Routers configuration utility will show which SSID's are in use by devices
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #17
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am not sure why connecting storage to the router would be much different than elsewhere on the network. Because of no A/V?
Still

Because the same processor that controls the router security has direct access to the disc. Should some bad guy figure out how to penetrate the router, job done. If the storage is across the local LAN, then the bad guy must penetrate the router, and then penetrate the machine hosting the storage using only the access the LAN gives, adding a second layer of difficulty and another opportunity to detect the intrusion.

The is the same logic that people use when they set up a DMZ: a section of the LAN that is behind the entry router but in front of the company's assets. Customer-facing servers live there, getting their data through a security gateway between the DMZ and the company's computing infrastructure. Some people actually use 2 DMZs, putting the internal/external shared data in the second while putting the rest of the infrastructure after the second.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Still

Because the same processor that controls the router security has direct access to the disc. Should some bad guy figure out how to penetrate the router, job done. If the storage is across the local LAN, then the bad guy must penetrate the router, and then penetrate the machine hosting the storage using only the access the LAN gives, adding a second layer of difficulty and another opportunity to detect the intrusion.

The is the same logic that people use when they set up a DMZ: a section of the LAN that is behind the entry router but in front of the company's assets. Customer-facing servers live there, getting their data through a security gateway between the DMZ and the company's computing infrastructure. Some people actually use 2 DMZs, putting the internal/external shared data in the second while putting the rest of the infrastructure after the second.
Still Point taken
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #19
LadyKoori
LadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle
Unfortuntely the guest network isn't the problem. I had triple checked before that the two were connected to the same network. I did disable the guest network and try again just to be positive but that wasn't it. I tried seeing if I could set up an Ad-Hoc network to do it, but my Nexus 7 doesn't do ad-hoc networks. So it seems my option are plug the laptop into the router, which is on a different floor of the house because CC doesn't do bluetooth connections, does it?

I'm also really entertained by the two of you off-topic discussing the usb storage connection, which currently is a feature we're not using but plan on using in the future. That drive will only have media stuff on it so there won't be anything overly exciting for people if they break into it.

Thanks for all your help, btw guys!
LadyKoori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKoori View Post
Unfortuntely the guest network isn't the problem. I had triple checked before that the two were connected to the same network. I did disable the guest network and try again just to be positive but that wasn't it. I tried seeing if I could set up an Ad-Hoc network to do it, but my Nexus 7 doesn't do ad-hoc networks. So it seems my option are plug the laptop into the router, which is on a different floor of the house because CC doesn't do bluetooth connections, does it?
CC doesn't handle bluetooth specifically, but it does handle cases where the device is tethering (acting as a hotspot). That might work for you, if your carrier allows tethering and your phone supports it. You would enable tethering on your phone, connect your laptop to the tethered phone, then use CC to connect to calibre. No data would actually go out over the carrier's data connection, so it wouldn't use any data allowance you have.

Edit: you are using an Nexus 7, which isn't a phone. Forget about the above.

It could be that CC would also work over a bluetooth PAN, but I have never tried it.
Quote:
I'm also really entertained by the two of you off-topic discussing the usb storage connection, which currently is a feature we're not using but plan on using in the future. That drive will only have media stuff on it so there won't be anything overly exciting for people if they break into it.

Thanks for all your help, btw guys!
You are welcome.

Last edited by chaley; 03-15-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #21
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
CC connects to Calibre if my laptop is connect via wire. Its definitely the router. I take it there is no way around this sort of thing aside from plugging into the router every time I want to send stuff to CC?
Try going to network setting, and making sure that your wireless network in windows is set to private not public. If set to public change to private. The public setting will not let your pc communicate with other devices on the wireless network.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Try going to network setting, and making sure that your wireless network in windows is set to private not public. If set to public change to private. The public setting will not let your pc communicate with other devices on the wireless network.

bernie
Now that is an excellent point, one that we hadn't thought of! I will add it to CC's FAQ.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #23
LadyKoori
LadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of lightLadyKoori is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

bernie
Yeah, that was the first thing I double checked when the trouble all began. In the meantime I remembered that we had drilled a hole through the floor years ago to drop a lan cable for my old roomies xbox 360. I dropped another cable and am now connected to the network via that. Problem solved. Sorta.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #24
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, that was the first thing I double checked when the trouble all began. In the meantime I remembered that we had drilled a hole through the floor years ago to drop a lan cable for my old roomies xbox 360. I dropped another cable and am now connected to the network via that. Problem solved. Sorta.
The next will be to check that both your laptop and tablet are on the same wireless network, i.e. that both are on 2.4 GHz or both on the 5 GHz. I have not looked at the manual of your router but on mine you can separate the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz so that do not talk to each other.

bernie
Old 03-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #25
LadyKoori

Quote:
The next will be to check that both your laptop and tablet are on the same wireless network, i.e. that both are on 2.4 GHz or both on the 5 GHz. I have not looked at the manual of your router but on mine you can separate the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz so that do not talk to each other.

bernie
I hadn't even thought about the 2.4 versus the 5 network. I'll have to look into seperating them. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #26
LadyKoori

Quote:

bernie
I hadn't even thought about the 2.5 versus the 5 network. I'll have to look into seperating them. Thanks!

Edit: Problem solved! You, kind sir, are a genius! Now I can remove the eyesore LAN cable! Thank you! Many thanks to Chaley and theducks as well!

Last edited by LadyKoori; 03-19-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Problem resolved.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
I hadn't even thought about the 2.5 versus the 5 network. I'll have to look into seperating them. Thanks!

Edit: Problem solved! You, kind sir, are a genius! Now I can remove the eyesore LAN cable! Thank you! Many thanks to Chaley and theducks as well!
I have my router set up so the 2.5 GHz and 5GHz have separate SSID's but are bridged so that they are accessible to all devices no matter with one the device connects to, i.e. a device on the 2.5 GHz can talk to a device on the 5GHz. My guest networks are not bridged when I have them and are not accessible from the main network.

bernie
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #28
ButtonsMom2003
ButtonsMom2003 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ButtonsMom2003 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ButtonsMom2003 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook HD
I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this correctly. I was having the exact same problem as LadyKoori. If my laptop was using a wireless connection neither the Calibre content server or Calibre Companion would work. I read through all of the very helpful things that everyone suggested (and admit that I didn't really understand them all). While I didn't understand exactly gbm's post about 2.5 vs 5GHz it got me thinking about what might be wrong in the router. (I had already tried turning off the router firewall and the laptop firewall.)

The reason I'm posting here to tell what solved my problem. My ZyXEL router was set to work for b/g/n connections by default. Since all of my devices worked with this setting I never changed it. After trying everything else I started changing different setting on my router one at a time and finally found out if I set the router to only g/n or n only I could communicate with the Calibre Content Server and CC perfectly.

I hope this might help out someone else who comes across this thread.
ButtonsMom2003 is offline   Reply With Quote