Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #16
Bobmark
Bobmark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
There is Mac App called Android Assistant which allows the Mac to see the Fire.

Make sure the Kindle is unlocke before attaching to USB cable
Bobmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #17
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loama View Post
I have Windows 8.1. I purchased Calibre Companion ...
So Kovid gives us a great piece of software for free, many others who write excellent plug-ins do likewise , but then some selfish/greedy person makes you pay for a "companion" add-on.

Not really in the calibre spirit, is that.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
So Kovid gives us a great piece of software for free, many others who write excellent plug-ins do likewise , but then some selfish/greedy person makes you pay for a "companion" add-on.
Maybe I'm missing the haha in this post, but if you are serious then take your personal attacks to another board they do not belong and are not tolerated here at Mobileread.

First no one makes anyone pay for anything they don't want. Calibre companion is $3 and if bought through the Play store the developer will refund your money if you are not happy with the product.

That "selfish/greedy" person is chaley and I believe he has contributed more time and features to calibre than anyone except Kovid. Here is a short list of calibre features by chaley:
  • custom columns
  • nested user categories
  • quickview
  • most search features
  • the all-on-one-page metadata edit dialog
  • the calibre template language
  • metadata plugboards
  • many get-books stores in the EU
  • metadata search and replace
  • connect as wireless device
  • many performance improvements
Quote:
Not really in the calibre spirit, is that.
What isn't in the calibre spirit are your comments above. If you can't be civil, move on.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-01-2014 at 10:54 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
*ouch*

bit of an over-reaction that.

1. I did not know *who* authored the app. I, not unreasonably, assumed that google at-al were seeking to make money out of what I thought was a 100% open source project

I don't have a problem with Google being a for-profit business. I do have a problem when I see things being offered for money , which others have developed for free.
If I badly missed the target here, then I apologise.

next time I see calibre related stuff for sale, I'll jsut walk on by
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I, not unreasonably, assumed that google at-al were seeking to make money out of what I thought was a 100% open source project
Calibre is 100 % open source but does not run on Android. So it was unreasonable to assume that independently creating an android app to provide a link between tablets and computer is some how wrong.

Quote:
I do have a problem when I see things being offered for money , which others have developed for free.
Since calibre doesn't run on Android, no one has created anything for free that does what Calibre companion does.

Quote:
If I badly missed the target here, then I apologise.
If? You obviously missed the target. Way to half-ass an apology.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Open Source does not necessarily mean FREE of charge.

Google is a path for Android App distribution. They don't have to do that for free.
Gimme a break! A Starbucks Grande cost more than CC did.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote