Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongorash View Post
If the OP still wants to go back to the old iBooks layout all you need to do is see if you can find a copy of the old iBooks file (iBooks 3.1.3.ipa) on your computer, then delete iBooks from your iPad, delete the current iBooks ipa file from the itunes\Mobile Applications folder and then copy the iBooks 3.1.3.ipa into your iTunes\Mobile Applications folder. Then restart itunes, connect your ipad and reinstall iBooks. Of course you may have to do this everytime you get an iOS update on your ipad.
True, I hadn't thought of that. It won't be overwritten by iOS updates but there may be compatibility problems after a while.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
bongorash
Enthusiast
bongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura 1, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
I recently upgraded my new ipad mini retina to iOS 7.0.4 (?) and it installed the new ibooks, but luckily had backed up my itunes folder with the older ibooks .ipa in it, so I could revert back. (I prefer the older iBooks look). That said, I have just recently started using Marvin which seems likely to be my reader of choice from now on.
bongorash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Has Marvin started allowing DRM'd books to be read? I uninstalled it when I found myself unable to open DRM books with it.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Has Marvin started allowing DRM'd books to be read? I uninstalled it when I found myself unable to open DRM books with it.
No, it can't open DRM'd books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Too bad, I guess it's not for me then.
Advert
Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #21
49Kat
Fanatic

I liked the old look of the iBooks app, with the 'wood look' shelves and the animated page turns. I didn't know there was a way to keep that. I didn't use iBooks much anyway, though, as I actually haven't purchased any books from Apple, just downloaded some freebies and I've used it for pdf's. I've always been able to find better prices for e-books elsewhere.

I like being able to sync page locations and bookmarks between devices. So far Kindle and Kobo apps manage that the best. I've tried Bluefire, but I find the app tends to freeze when I have the sync enabled. The bookmarking method is also clumsy. A window opens up where you could type a note, and then you have to tap a 'save' button. It would be preferable to just tap the corner to bookmark a page.

I have the Overdrive app for borrowed library books. They have Overdrive One, which is supposed to allow sync-ing between devices, but I've found it doesn't always work that well. One of my e-libraries occasionally allows Kindle versions of e-books to be downloaded, which is great because the sync works so much better, although returning the borrowed item is a bit clunky. (Requires going to my Kindle library in a web browser.)

We all have different preferences and needs in reading, so what works for one person may not for someone else. I can't say I've found one app that meets all my reading needs, but I'm OK with things as they are.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, it can't open DRM'd books.
Quote:
Too bad, I guess it's not for me then.
How about Readmill ? It supports DRM, it says on itunes Store.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #23
49Kat
Fanatic

I did install Readmill just to see how it would look. It's not bad, but there's no way to remove a book, nor do I see a way to organize collections. The minimalists and social readers would probably like it, though. I'm not sure if it does sync across devices. I downloaded a free book today on the iPad and then signed in on my iPhone. The app did say it was sync-ing, but the book I downloaded today on the iPad did not appear on the iPhone.

This is an app I will watch, however, because it will probably improve over time. It has potential.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Syncing does not copy a book from one device to another. Syncing syncs reading location and sometimes highlights/notes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #25
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
I did install Readmill just to see how it would look. It's not bad, but there's no way to remove a book, nor do I see a way to organize collections. The minimalists and social readers would probably like it, though. I'm not sure if it does sync across devices. I downloaded a free book today on the iPad and then signed in on my iPhone. The app did say it was sync-ing, but the book I downloaded today on the iPad did not appear on the iPhone.

This is an app I will watch, however, because it will probably improve over time. It has potential.
Sounds like you want your cake and eat it too !

Not that I blame you, whats the good with having hundreds of thousands of Apps if you can't find one that fits a few simple criteria.......so you may have to settle on a compromize in the short term...
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
Hi all

I know a lot of you just love the new iBooks flat page format and that's great. But for me it's just turned my ebook reader (iPad) into just another ebook reader.

I just like to read books and really enjoyed the book look-alike interface so can anybody suggest another App for iPad that has a similar look to previous versions of iBooks.

Failing that any suggestions of an android App or alternative Reader that will do the job. Can't really afford to replace the iPad but will if it's the only way I can retrieve the enjoyment I got out being able to make my own decisions rather than have apple run my life.

Thanks
Kevin
For pdfs and comics you should try some of these.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ibooks/801...pdf-too-3.html
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
bluemerle27
bluemerle27 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
Hi all

I know a lot of you just love the new iBooks flat page format and that's great. But for me it's just turned my ebook reader (iPad) into just another ebook reader.

I just like to read books and really enjoyed the book look-alike interface so can anybody suggest another App for iPad that has a similar look to previous versions of iBooks.

Failing that any suggestions of an android App or alternative Reader that will do the job. Can't really afford to replace the iPad but will if it's the only way I can retrieve the enjoyment I got out being able to make my own decisions rather than have apple run my life.

Thanks
Kevin
For those who like the old look of Ibooks, of which I am one btw, I notice that gitden reader has released version 4 of there software which replicates the 'book' look that the old Ibooks had. There is also no margin adjust, which i would have preferred and maybe more control over line spacing, but I kind of liked it. Just thought would mention it

Thanks

David
bluemerle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #28
henrikberggren
henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5 / iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Syncing does not copy a book from one device to another. Syncing syncs reading location and sometimes highlights/notes.
This is exactly what it does. It keeps books, notes & highlights in sync between all of your devices.
henrikberggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #29
gluejar
Ungluer-in-Chief
gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: all (Marvin)
May I suggest you consider Readmill? I'm a big fan of the way they make it easy to load DRM-free epubs into their environment, syncing across multiple devices.

Eric
gluejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #30
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluejar View Post
May I suggest you consider Readmill? I'm a big fan of the way they make it easy to load DRM-free epubs into their environment, syncing across multiple devices.

Eric
49Kat said he/she already tried Readmill and it failed to meet requirements. I'm also not a fan although I have tried it a couple of times. One reads, it doesnt have to be a social event. Seems like everyone is trying to create social networks for their apps and websites and really, its crazy.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote