Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the new style?
I prefer the new style on Windows 68 57.63%
I prefer the old style on Windows 16 13.56%
I am indifferent 23 19.49%
I prefer the new style on OS X 7 5.93%
I prefer the old style on OS X 4 3.39%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, the changes are very subtle. I tried to keep them at a minimum to not disrupt people's old habits. The idea is just to make the interface a little more sophisticated looking, with the use of gradients, highlighting, rounded corners and so on.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #17
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I can certainly add a tweak to restore the old look to the Tag Browser, but there will be limitations, namely the new look has hover highlighting, which will no longer be there. I suggest you use the new style for a couple of days and if you find you really, really still want the old one back, I will add the tweak for the next release.
Many thanks, Kovid.

Let's do that.
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #18
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Wow, I feel really stupid. I had to restart Calibre about 10 times before I figured out what the difference was. It obviously doesn't make much difference to me either way, I guess, but I finally stayed with the system default.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
What's the difference

Outside the outline around an active icon/button I fail to see what the difference is. I'm using Win7 and like that outline, I guess I thought there would be more changes.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I prefer the old style on Win7. The new UI looks a bit prettier but, unless there's a compelling reason to do otherwise, I like programs to stick to standard Windows controls. For example, I instantly recognize the standard scrollbar, but no other program on my system has ones like calibre's new ones. A familiar UI helps me work more efficiently.

I notice also that the new style has some buttons rearranged form the old style. Of course I'd get used to it in time, but it was a bit startling. I wondered why I kept opening the log after downloading a book cover when I had never done that before.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #21
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I am stunned so many windows users are failing to spot the huge number of differences. Button stylings, hover highlights, rounded corners on cells, scrollbars, group box backgrounds, menus, checkboxes... Maybe as a developer my eye is tuned to look for such things, the differences are considerable that hit me immediately. Then again I did lose most of last weekend helping Kovid test getting buttons the same height so maybe I've spent too many hours looking closely at it already...

My vote is for it to be the new default style, for the most part the changes are good and since a Qt based app never looks like a standard windows app anyways you may as well go the whole hog and make it look prettier. Kovid knows the one thing I don't like about the new style but if others don't spot it and comment on it I'm not going to fan the flames by mentioning it since he likes it as is
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I actually think it's good so few are able to spot the differences. Means less kvetching about change if I do make it the default. Also goes to show that at least among this crowd UI style really isn't a big deal

So far the aye's have it.

Though whats up with OS X users, only one vote? Are there no OS X calibre users on Mobileread?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
I actually think it's good so few are able to spot the differences. Means less kvetching about change if I do make it the default. Also goes to show that at least among this crowd UI style really isn't a big deal

So far the aye's have it.

Though whats up with OS X users, only one vote? Are there no OS X calibre users on Mobileread?
You want kvetching? Are you saying you want kvetching? We don't need no stinking kvetching!

Points if you can tell me where that is from.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #24
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: none
The new look has its advantages: I like the way the buttons are slightly highlighted in the main menu, and I love all settings etc. windows (the tabs are especially nice). The new shape of arrows is nice, too.

However, I will stick to the old look as I am not a big fan of round corners, and more importantly, the main menu is more compact in the system default look because of the arrows - that's crucial for me, using a 10'' netbook at least half of the time. Also, the way the slider in the main window moves is kinda jerky, as compared to the older version (I have WinXP).

Unfortunately, I don't like the new Tag Browser look. Thinking about it, it is not about alternating row colors but about background in general: too much of the same colour in the interface. A solid white in the Tag Browser would be just fine (easier on eyes at least on my screen). Also, I preferred the frame around the Tag Browser (so that the Tag Browser looked more like the main window pane with book list and less like book details, if you know what I mean). And I don't like hover highlighting. I mean, it looks nice but is too much of distraction.

All in all, I could really use the tweak that paulfiera's asked about!

On the other hand, I like Alter Tag Browser button a lot .

Last edited by Joanna; 06-10-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #25
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:

been looking through it since yesterday afternoon using the new UI

I am on OS X Lion, prefer the new layout, would like to see it the default

Need to spend a bit more time with it, but so far it's looking good
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I changed it and immediately disliked it. Then I promptly forgot I disliked it and just used it. After using it for a while, I started kind of digging it.

I voted "indifferent" in order to be fair.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #27
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Joanna - I hadn't even opened the tag browser since switching to the new style, but I would 100% agree with you on the suggestion that a white background would look better and be easier to read. People are "used" to tree controls being on a white background (on windows anyways). Right now it just makes calibre seem "extra gray" and doesn't make it obvious those are things to click on (whereas on book details they are things you don't click on).
Old 06-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #28
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: none
@kiwidude: I couldn't have put it better myself!
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #29
onedot3
Nameless Being

Like the new look
But

When searching in tag browser and an entry is found the list is centered around the found entry I am sure it was highlighted in the older version.
This is the same in both styles.

Great program
Old 06-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #30
kiwidude

Just on your other comment about scroll performance. I don't notice it significantly slower between the two styles, it has always been very stuttery and sluggish to drag the slider with the mouse in calibre regardless of which you use. I don't know whether it is because of lots of "stuff" calibre is computing underneath for each row or a Qt issue where it is trying to figure out what to paint on screen.

Scrolling with the mouse wheel is usually far less sluggish - in general usage I try to filter down the results using searches/keyboard shorcuts and avoid having to scroll