Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #16
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
As far as non-DRM content Sony is worse than Amazon but has been out long enough that third party (not from Sony) solutions exist and that tends to make it better in the eyes of many.
Hmm why is Sony worse? Without conversion, you can read RTF, TXT and PDF on Sony. On Kindle it's just Mobi, and to generate it you have to use Mobipocket tools, while there are many more solutions for RTF and PDF, and not just on Windows.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #17
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Hmm why is Sony worse? Without conversion, you can read RTF, TXT and PDF on Sony. On Kindle it's just Mobi, and to generate it you have to use Mobipocket tools, while there are many more solutions for RTF and PDF, and not just on Windows.
Actually Kindle can read TXT files. Maybe the Kindle device itself changes them to .azw files or something, but you can drag straight TXT files onto it and no conversion beforehand is needed...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
From Amazon's web site:
Quote:
Kindle supports wireless delivery of unprotected Microsoft Word, HTML, TXT, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files.
PDF conversion is experimental. The experimental category represents the features we are working on to enhance the Kindle experience even further. You can email your PDFs wirelessly to your Kindle. Due to PDF’s fixed layout format, some complex PDF files might not format correctly on your Kindle.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #19
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
From Amazon's web site:
And Sony has eBook Library software which can convert DOCs (and pictures need no conversion). Still don't see how it's "worse".
Old 12-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #20
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sony is not better in this regard but one of the Kindle's big selling points is its Amazon connectivity, all with this DRM. I think it is fine to complain and campaign against the Kindle because of this. Heck, it would have been fine to do all this against the Sony reader. Too bad it didn't get more people off their butts to complain, eh?

If you buy a LIT or non-DRM'd book can you do it on the move? Or only for Amazon's DRM content?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd call them about the same, myself. The only real difference is, there's no "Kindle-emulator" of some sort to allow you to read Kindle files on your computer or other device.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #22
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
When I get done reading the 12 books I bought from Steve Jordan, the several hundred books I have obtained free and legal over the Internet and the books I would like to read off the DVD that contains 10,000 public domain books, then I can worry about having to buy DRM stuff from Amazon. My mate reads her stuff on her Palm T|X. I used to do that also but now have a Kindle. I would be nice if I could read her novels on my device, but Palm also has DRM. Besided all the free books I have, I have also purchased some books, but they all are DRM free and I have not given any away to anyone.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #23
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
To me, it seems that Amazon wants to to spend an additional $100 for the right to buy from their store. To me, thats the only real advantage that the Kindle has over the Sony as far as I can tell. (Oh, and it has a keyboard. Yippie.)

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #24
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
To me, it seems that Amazon wants to to spend an additional $100 for the right to buy from their store. To me, thats the only real advantage that the Kindle has over the Sony as far as I can tell. (Oh, and it has a keyboard. Yippie.)

Jason
Actually it wasn't so much the keyboard that was the big advantage for me, it was the ability to search and do lookups. That was actually worth the extra money to me. An ebook reader without searching or at least a dictionary seems boneheadedly stupid to me.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #25
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I also really enjoy reading the subscription blogs plus the links work. The search and look-up features are really handy and make the Kindle a nice tool.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #26
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
During the past couple months since I bought my 505 I've accumulated nearly 200 e-texts either from the 100 free classic titles (offer with the purchase for downloadable classics from the connect site), sites like mobileread and Gutenberg or texts that I've bought from the site (for half the hard copy cost). I have enough reading material to last a couple years.

Also, I've come to find software on line to convert texts from HTML to BBeb or Mobi or whatever format my device is compatible with. I backed-up all my files to an external drive and to a CD. In either case I am able to pull the texts up from any of these sources, add them to my library from any of the locations and load them to the reader.

Best of all, I have found that other folks out there enjoy eclectic collections like H Ryder Haggard, AE Merritt, EE Doc Smith and Edgar Rice Burroughs who you can't find on any book shelf. But look on line and there they are, just a click away and I can read them again without having to go to Ebay or Amazon to buy some 30 year old paperback copy and then have it shipped. It's like rediscovering old friends.

Could the 505 stop being produced? Sure, but I think the momentum toward e-books has hit the tipping point. There is way too much money to be made now for the clock to be turned back. During my trip from LAX to Chicago to Ohio today I had no fewer than 5 people corner me with questions on my 505. The interest is there. Frankly I'm stunned they're not more widely advertised.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #27
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.gotwald View Post
During my trip from LAX to Chicago to Ohio today I had no fewer than 5 people corner me with questions on my 505. The interest is there. Frankly I'm stunned they're not more widely advertised.
We need to have MobileRead flyers for such occasions. Instead of explaining thing all over again you just hand them one with text "Go to mobileread.com for all your eBook questions" or something
Old 12-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #28
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Actually it wasn't so much the keyboard that was the big advantage for me, it was the ability to search and do lookups. That was actually worth the extra money to me. An ebook reader without searching or at least a dictionary seems boneheadedly stupid to me.
Well, while I wouldn't go to the extent of calling it "boneheadedly stupid" , for my purposes I actually initially came to ebook devices with an assumption that they all contained text search. For me, placing the book in ebook form wasn't just a "portability" issue, but also all the immediate benefits that go with digitising text (the first being "search"). So, I admit to being a bit surprised at the apparent absence of "text search" amongst most(?) devices. I would buy the Kindle (if it was available here, of course, and assuming I understand its "text search" correctly), just for that.

Saying that, I like the way the Cybook does the "Dictionary lookup". I initially thought I'd want more than just a dictionary, but, having been to the Mobipocket website and seen just how many dictionaries there are, and how specific some of them are (apart from translations, there are specific "topic" dictionaries, like "art and literature"), I think that is a nice integration of the feature I desired (more specifically, that it integrates so well with the current book being read, rather than me having to take myself out of it to look something up). I would suggest several of my first purchases would be dictionaries.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:56 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I was looking to see if a specific set of books was available in Kindle format and found the Defective by Design tags.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #30
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.gotwald View Post
The interest is there. Frankly I'm stunned they're not more widely advertised.
I agree. I showed my EB1150 to a student (admittedly, a reader) at the high school where I teach, and she immediately wailed, "I want one!"
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote