Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #16
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
The review feature should help this. If you see a book by an author you don't know with unfavorable reviews, you probably won't bother.
I don't know about the reviews for Kindle Editions specifically, but my experience with the review for other books at Amazon has not been good. Specifically, I'm surprised at the very large number of books with only positive reviews. Recently, I posted there a rather negative but dispassionate review of a book. Actually, it was a book that I had bought from Sony for my Reader but I thought it would be helpful to post the review on Amazon. A week later, I noticed that the review had disappeared. So I posted it again and two weeks later it was gone again and so I have posted it a third time. My assumption is that someone closely related to the book (e.g., author or publisher) has looked for the negative reviews of their product and clicked on the "Report this" link on the review which allows viewers to request that the review be deleted because it is offensive or distasteful. That experience has made me very wary of the reviews at Amazon.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
That experience has made me very wary of the reviews at Amazon.
I have found many reviews on Amazon to be totally worthless. You definitely need to read through them yourself & not just trust the rating to make up your mind. Then there are the reviews by folks like Harriet Klausner who make there living reviewing & have been proven to not always have actually read the book. Everything I've seen her review gets 4 or 5 stars & she does a lot.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I have found many reviews on Amazon to be totally worthless. You definitely need to read through them yourself & not just trust the rating to make up your mind.
The reviews for the Kindle make a fine example of this. The vast majority of bad reviews are from people who don't own one at all.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I don't know about the reviews for Kindle Editions specifically, but my experience with the review for other books at Amazon has not been good. Specifically, I'm surprised at the very large number of books with only positive reviews. Recently, I posted there a rather negative but dispassionate review of a book. Actually, it was a book that I had bought from Sony for my Reader but I thought it would be helpful to post the review on Amazon. A week later, I noticed that the review had disappeared. So I posted it again and two weeks later it was gone again and so I have posted it a third time. My assumption is that someone closely related to the book (e.g., author or publisher) has looked for the negative reviews of their product and clicked on the "Report this" link on the review which allows viewers to request that the review be deleted because it is offensive or distasteful. That experience has made me very wary of the reviews at Amazon.
I'd feel sneaky but I'm tempted to do that to all the one-star "I don't own it but let me tell you what's wrong with it" reviews. The fact that several weeks in we're still seeing several a day makes me wonder if some of these aren't genuine.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #20
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'd feel sneaky but I'm tempted to do that to all the one-star "I don't own it but let me tell you what's wrong with it" reviews. The fact that several weeks in we're still seeing several a day makes me wonder if some of these aren't genuine.
If stupidity qualifies as "inappropriate" in your mind then I'd say go for it. Here's all that Amazon suggests when you click "Report this" on a review:
Report this content as inappropriate on the site:

If you find this content inappropriate and think it should be removed from the Amazon.com site, let us know by clicking the button below. This information will be sent to Amazon.com and we will take appropriate action.
I'm pretty sure they had obscenities and such in mind when they put this there. But an obscenely stupid review? I could buy that.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert