Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #16
thegrendel
thegrendel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Ah, if only the Sony PRS purchaser base were greater ...

Then this could be an alternative distribution network for e-books. So far I see that Mayer Alan Brenner
is posting some of his fantasy works here in lrf format for download. Hopefully, more will follow his example. Now, if I could only figure out how to get the books I've written into lrf format without an excessive amount of labor ...

Anyhow, just think. Authors post their work for download. If you like a book, you send a dollar or so to
the author by Paypal.
thegrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #17
nobody_special
nobody_special began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrendel View Post
Anyhow, just think. Authors post their work for download. If you like a book, you send a dollar or so to
the author by Paypal.
That's exactly the situation that publishers want to avoid, because it severely erodes their ability to actually sell their product. Hence DRM.

DRM does more than just prevent copyright infringement -- it's also a method to increase revenue by forcing you to buy more products from a vendor. And it's designed to take away your rights - both fair-use, and the doctrine of first sale.

(First post here... I'm getting a Sony reader, but I'm not sure which one... can get the PRS-500 w/$250 in credit at Connect, or the PRS-505.)
nobody_special is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #18
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I believe that inn effect publishers will become agents/advertisers to authors who have their media available for download from the net, the 'publisher' will be responsible for getting people to the authors site and for selling any rights for movies/tv etc.

Its easily ten years away though in my opinion.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Or you could buy the MS Reader version of the books you want, strip the DRM (as long as you're comfortable with that) & run them through lit2lrf using libprs500. Then you'd have a copy that works on your Sony. If you switch to Mobi just open the opf file created by ConvertLit, when it makes the book into HTML, in MobiPocket creator & turn the book into a Mobi file. That's what many folks do bypassing DRM altogether.
You are conflicting info. If you use ConvertLIT to convert the LIT into HTML, then you cannot use lit2lrf to convert it. You need to JUST strip the DRM and leave the LIT as a DRM free LIT. Then lit2lrf will work fine. If you want that ebook in another format, you can load the DRM free lit into Book Designer or convert it to HTML and use it from there to attempt to convert. But if you do not just remove the DRM without converting, you WILL have to convert it in a more difficult fashion. Lit2lrf is the easiest way to convert it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I have somewhat of a different profile than you. I got the 500 as a Xmas gift last year. I liked it so much that I bought a 505 a couple of months ago so I would have a backup if something went wrong. Unlike you, I have purchased some 113 books from Connect, 19 "classics", the rest regular books. In addition, over the years, I've purchased some 400+ books from Baen books in their websubscription program and a handful of books in other formats.

While, like most here, I really, really would prefer to get my books in non DRM format, I realize that if I hold out for perfect, I'm more likely to get nothing. I do think that the market will eventually drift to non DRM, but it will take a number of years. Would I be upset if I lose the books that I purchased if Sony decides to drop out of the ebook business? Sure, on the other hand, I have a lot of faith that someone will break the DRM on the Sony format given the desire. Hackers have the tools to do it, right now, as we have seen with TiVo, MS Lit, the iPhone and the various gaming systems.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #21
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo H2O, Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
While, like most here, I really, really would prefer to get my books in non DRM format, I realize that if I hold out for perfect, I'm more likely to get nothing. I do think that the market will eventually drift to non DRM, but it will take a number of years. Would I be upset if I lose the books that I purchased if Sony decides to drop out of the ebook business? Sure, on the other hand, I have a lot of faith that someone will break the DRM on the Sony format given the desire. Hackers have the tools to do it, right now, as we have seen with TiVo, MS Lit, the iPhone and the various gaming systems.
My biggest fear is having my Reader end up in the basement with my Betamax and my Laserdisc player.

Having said that, I DID buy a Reader. I just don't seem to have jumped in with both feet yet. You are right to point out that as long as the books are on the computer, there's at least a chance that they can be converted to a newer format.
ChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are conflicting info. If you use ConvertLIT to convert the LIT into HTML, then you cannot use lit2lrf to convert it. You need to JUST strip the DRM and leave the LIT as a DRM free LIT. Then lit2lrf will work fine. If you want that ebook in another format, you can load the DRM free lit into Book Designer or convert it to HTML and use it from there to attempt to convert. But if you do not just remove the DRM without converting, you WILL have to convert it in a more difficult fashion. Lit2lrf is the easiest way to convert it.
No I'm not. If you read my post I referred to the HTML & obf you can produce using ConvertLit in conjunction with making a Mobi file, not an LRF. The point being how easy it can be to create either format allowing you to easily bring your books with you if you switch devices. I guess maybe I wasn't clear.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 12-02-2007 at 11:39 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 AM   #23
Fzzt
Enthusiast
Fzzt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Good points in the thread.
I understand the need for DRM but I really don't like it.
If there was a subscription program like the Zune has for music ($14.95/mo for all the music you want but when you cancel you lose the ability to play it anymore) I'd gladly buy an ugly kindle to read on.

I like the idea of a netflix sub too, get any 3 books you want but you can't get another until you 'delete 1'.

Hopefully more competition will push the market towards the rights of the customer.
Fzzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisI View Post
My biggest fear is having my Reader end up in the basement with my Betamax and my Laserdisc player.

Having said that, I DID buy a Reader. I just don't seem to have jumped in with both feet yet. You are right to point out that as long as the books are on the computer, there's at least a chance that they can be converted to a newer format.
I'm sure it will end up there eventually. That's the way of technology. I figure that as long as I get fair usage out of the device, then I come out ahead. On the music side, I've bought the same album as a record, a tape, a cd and in iTunes. The same with videos. I've bought the same movie as a vhs tape, a dvd and a blueray dvd. Each time, I felt that I had gotten enough usage out of the material that I had gotten my money's worth. I'm sure that I could have converted the material along the way rather than bought in the new format, but part of what I'm buying is the improved quality of the material.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote