Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
If an interesting book appears in the Overdrive catalog as currently available, I put in a Purchase Suggestion for the title - my library has always bought those; I think they like suggestions as it makes their job easier.
I live in a community of about 95,000 people. My sense is that every book is carefully considered and that the library as reach out for teens and a purveyor of popular culture sometimes conflicts with what I happen to like to read. That being said, they do respond to requests.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #17
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
An estimate would be around 150 this year. That is not just for my reading either.

Baen, Smashwords, Amazon and author direct
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
I honestly hate to think about how much I've spent on books this year. But I would guess it is around $200 or so which is considerably less than I was spending on pBooks. My gut feeling is that next year I will not spend nearly as much mostly from a combination of buying more indie books and using my library more.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #19
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
I've bought 26 books, and I've read 71 books from the library.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #20
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I would have thought my total would be lower than a lot of other people responding, as I know I'm not the most voracious reader here. However....

If I have calculated correctly, I've purchased 208 books this year, and spent $817, an average of $3.92 per book.

112 of those books were $2.99 or less.

2 books were over $10 -- one at $11.99, and one at $12.99. One was a gift for my husband, the other was a non-fiction title that we both will read.

I expect the total to go down in 2012, as so many books on my wishlist are available for download from the library.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #21
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
As of today, I've downloaded approximately 262 ebooks. I've spent $11.08 of my own money-- although $10 of that was spent on buying a $20 Amazon gift card, so I don't know if I'm counting it or not (since I used the gift card to then buy books, I suppose I am). All my other purchases were paid for with gift cards which I got mainly through Swagbucks. That'd be about another $40, so, in total, I've only "spent" about $50 this year on books.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #22
GA Russell
Bombers, Elks now 0-3
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
In three weeks it will be two years since I got my jetBook Lite, and I haven't spent a penny on an eBook yet.

I've downloaded so much from the MR library it would take me years to read it all.

I continue to purchase the occasional print book.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #23
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I've spent around $20-25 on three books I really wanted and that weren't available on Overdrive. A couple of 10c/25c/99c books have "slipped through", but not many once I realized you only too often got what you payed for and they were cheap for a reason...

I've borrowed and read around 200 library books.

I'm surprises to see that most people that has replied here has spent next to nothing. Must be that all the book buyers that are so concerned about what ecosytem to belong to choose not to post.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #24
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm afraid to even try and total it up!

At least around $200 on Amazon gift cards, which have all been spent on books, plus probably the occasional book on credit card when the gift card balance has run out. I don't buy a lot on Amazon due to their $2 international surcharge on most books.

69 books on Kobo... at a probably conservative estimate of $6.50 per book, ~$450.

11 books for ~$75 total on BooksOnBoard.

The single most expensive book was $17.03 on Kobo; there were also a couple of books on Amazon in the $13.79 range.

I've bought about a dozen paper books as well.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:06 AM   #25
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I was scared to add this up being new to my ereader I was rather enthusiastic however it wasn't quite as bad as I feared

Kobo - $124.75
Sony - $ 4.00
Kindle - $ 42.87
B&N - $ 29.87
BOB - $ 7.65
Fictionwise - $17.20 est.

Grand Total = $ 226.34

I really need to look into the Aussie Library system I think I have to physically go in and get a card before they'll let me use it

The embarassing bit is how much of it I've read
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #26
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
If "bought" is limited to cash spent, I have spent about $200 at Smashwords and Sony (most of it at Smashwords) on a couple of dozen ebooks. If "bought" includes those that are priced "free" or for which I had coupon discounts that made the book "free," then I have "bought" 927 ebooks so far in 2011. I currently have 496 ebooks on my Sony 950 waiting to be read.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #27
ragwitch
Enthusiast
ragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
I bought 12.. i just realized that i haven't read almost half of them.. so maybe by 2012 my new year's resolution is to finish that 12 books and that's the only time i'm going to buy again.. lol
ragwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #28
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've bought nine e-books this year for a total cost of $43.75. I picked up another two freebies at Amazon and a lot from here and Gutenberg. I use my library a lot more and haven't bought a paper book outside of using up a couple of gift cards since June when I got my e-reader.

I've read every single book I bought this year. I've got a few gift books lying around and they are all on my 2012 challenge list.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #29
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I spent more on books last night than some of you have spent all year!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #30
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Ever since Agency Pricing I've gone from spending over $1000 a year on reading material to just under $200 this year. I get from the library, friends and I share an Amazon account and group buy, we use the lending libraries whenever possible etc.

The more and more they push my buttons, the more and more I will be unwilling to give them my money.

They're really sticking it to me - huh?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote