Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The one I'm reading right now has some margin issues where the pages shift to the right a little every now and then. Nothing wrong reading-wise, but it just looks pathetic to me in places.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The most common problem I've come across is typos, or where spell check got the best of them. I have seen a handful that were littered with typos and OCR errors, but vast majority are fine
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm more than satisfied with the quality of the vast majority of my ebook purchases. I've come across a few clunkers, but even those are usually because the typography is pushing the limit of what's possible with a given ebook format. I refuse to believe that I've simply been "lucky" for the last three to four years. I've primarily purchased new-release, big-publishing-house authors' works (by the bucketful) in those 3-4 years.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-27-2011 at 12:11 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #19
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
The most common problem I've come across is typos, or where spell check got the best of them. I have seen a handful that were littered with typos and OCR errors, but vast majority are fine
I don't mind the first.

But sometimes the second can be very annoying. One book had all instances of Mrs. converted to Mr. Which was confusing as the appropriate Mr. WAS a character in the book.

Or one where all the " marks were missing. Or where any punctuation marks come out as some wierd character.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
I finished some Jo Nesbo books from Kobo. The quality was poor; random line breaks, words randomly split and The Redeemer even had a broken anchor tag visible. The Redeemer was missing paragraph divisions so the text flowed together, making it a very confusing read as I couldn't tell when the scene switched. Very disappointing.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #21
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Ouch! We are getting better at this and a lot of that is due to readers pointing out our mistakes, especially in how punctuation is used. My latest books have fewer errors than my first.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #22
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
I purchased a recently-released Kindle version of a new book, which obviously had not been proofread at all; there was a glaring glitch on the first line of the first page! I reviewed the book on Amazon, giving it a 1 out of 5, and in my review noted that while the subject seemed interesting, the Kindle edition was unreadable. Within less than a month the book had been reformatted, and I even got a nice e-mail from the publisher asking me to give it another try. I, in turn, revised my review accordingly.

I think as long as the Kindle version of a book impacts the book's overall customer score, we might get quick help like this from publishers. (At least until they start proofreading Kindle editions.)
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #23
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I don't mind the first.

But sometimes the second can be very annoying. One book had all instances of Mrs. converted to Mr. Which was confusing as the appropriate Mr. WAS a character in the book.

Or one where all the " marks were missing. Or where any punctuation marks come out as some wierd character.
My, that Mrs. -> Mr. bit must have been confusing :-) I've run into the 'missing quotes' as well. Made the book pretty much unreadable. I can take the odd OCR error, but when all the quotes are simply missing....
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #24
theolightfoot
theolightfoot began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/Kindle Fire
Haste makes waste. The good thing about Kindle is that you can self-publish easily. The bad: the same thing. Best thing to do is write a review and request a refund if it's bad. People buying ebooks put a lot of stock into the reviews they read and word of mouth.
theolightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #25
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
I probably split my time between reading 80%, proofing and editing 20%.
If it wasn't for Calibre, Sigil and Apprentice Alf, I'd thrown my reader in the bin awhile ago and gone back to dead tree books.
It's a shame that a quick profit means shoddy work but as people have pointed out, quality is improving - albeit slowly with some publishers.
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #26
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I find that most of the top-selling free/low-price books on Amazon's Kindle store are pretty good. Lately I've been using the top free titles list to find new authors to read, and while there are definitely more typos in the self-published books (mine included, I'm certain) than in the big publisher releases, I'll accept a few more errors in a book that is in the $0-$2 range compared to a $13-15 one. It's only when they start to become pervasive and I'm noticing a mistake every few pages that I will put that author aside.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #27
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
I've had issues too. Recently I read Collapse, by Jared Diamond. In addition a variety of typos, the images were all missing (yet were still referred to in the text), the index was just a list of words with no links or page numbers. There were some mis-rendered characters too, but that was probably an reader-specific issue. The book cost at least as much as a paperback. I contacted Penguin, who basically did nothing about it. From now on, I'm going to return unacceptable e-books such as this and explain why I'm doing it. If re-sellers start loosing money then they'll apply pressure to publishers. Vote with your wallets, people!

Last edited by raac; 12-21-2011 at 10:11 AM.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
the index was just a list of words with no links or page numbers.
??? Missing links would be a pain, sure, but you don't really expect page numbers in an ebook's index do you?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #29
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
No, I expected links. What I was getting at is that no effort whatever was made to create a useful index.

Last edited by raac; 12-21-2011 at 10:55 AM.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
No, I expected links. What I was getting at is that no effort whatever was made to create a useful index.
Gotcha. Perfectly understandable.