Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Nook Touch, Kindle Touch
I have the same praise as kymmm for the easel cover. I also like that it opens from the top. Tried some that one from the sides and it bulked up the left side too much I found it more uncomfortable. I do wish that they had more color variety in this style.
octoberdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
lulalullah

My kindle case is of the photo corner variety. The two-point mounting of the industriell really doesn't bother me. If anything it allows me to better slide my light into it. I also like using a case that gives the feeling of holding a book. The Go! jacket has a slot for the light to slide in from the right hand side so it will not be in the way of the spine of the case which I like. Mine is scheduled to be delivered on 9/7 and I will gladly post my thoughts when I receive it.
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
lulalullah
Enthusiast
lulalullah began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hi all,

re: octoberdana
I really do like the easel cover but have to make a choice. In an ideal world, I'd buy both to have the book feel and to read a book for times when I have the need of not to hold it

re: 6charlong
Thank you for your reply that addresses my concerns (holding the device one-handed like a book and also about the spine construction), and especially your valuable feedback comparing between a B&N cover and the M-Edge system.
Which color do you have for your GO! Jacket?

re: graff_king
I'm slowly leaning towards M-Edge after all the really great inputs I got here ( everybody) and still just waiting for your feedback whenever you have the cover and played with it.
lulalullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulalullah View Post
re: 6charlong
Thank you for your reply that addresses my concerns (holding the device one-handed like a book and also about the spine construction), and especially your valuable feedback comparing between a B&N cover and the M-Edge system.
Which color do you have for your GO! Jacket?
I got the black one. Sadly, it's plastic. I just felt like I needed a better cover and didn't want to wait any longer (M-Edge is a small business that was busy making jackets for iPad2's when the STR came out and didn't get going with jackets for the new Nook right away).

I have a brown "Antique" Go Jacket for my Kindle--it's quite attractive and proved durable--and a black smooth leather Go Jacket for my NC. Frankly I prefer leather covers on books. However, M-Edge has a service where you can create your own cover design and they put it on a Go Jacket for you. I may create a design of my own, maybe a Harry Potter cover or something, I haven't decided yet.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
lulalullah
Enthusiast

re: 6charlong,
So I believe your black GO! Jacket is the 'Carbon Fiber Four Point' and you confirm that it's plastic . Well, a plastic touch is certainly not something desirable to us book worms, lol. I prefer canvas or even man-made suede, microfiber, polyurethane... and concur with you that leather is great. I find that heavy canvas is quite nice actually such as with your Lyndon cover from B&N.
I have noticed indeed the 'Design Your Own' feature at M-Edge. They also have a vast choice to choose from in the Style Library. I have not explored any of these option yet. If you contact them before I do, please let me/us know about the availability and delay.
Is the M-Edge leather's bulk on your Kindle and NC thin like a heavy canvas cover on hardback books or like your Lyndon cover?
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #21
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The leather is thin compared to Oberon covers. It's stretched over book cover boards though giving it the same stiffness as a hardcover book. The spine is double thickness on the Nook Color cover.

You can probably handle M-Edge covers at either Staples or Best Buy and judge for yourself.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #22
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Well, unfortunately, it will not possible. I live in France
Old 09-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #23
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Yes, it is because I am overseas that I want to have some good pieces of information before buying because returning the merchandise is not really an option, the shipping fees being a deal breaker in my case.

I found a review of the GO! Jacket Carbon Fiber for Nook Touch and blown up the picture: it does indeed convey a plastic feel.

Thanks 6charlong for providing all the detailed info about the different aspects of the M-Edge covers. I have already guessed that the Oberon leather was thick and of good quality and thus would have quite some bulk, or a bulk I don't wish to carry around.
I've just written to M-Edge to ask if they would accept a custom design order for a Nook Touch like for their other models and will post back the answer as soon as I receive it.

I'm starting to realize that all the accessories, an average priced cover, a light and the shipping fees will most certainly amount to half the cost of the main device, i.e. the e-reader, which from the economics standpoint is quite a non-sense
Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #24
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Greenmonkey,

Does the cover fell much larger than nook itself? There a lot of empty space dedicated to the light itself, defeating the purpose of having a compact ebook reader.
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #25
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Hi All, I just received word today that M-Edge is not doing custom designs for the Nook Touch cover for the moment. Hereafter is a copy of their reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. We do not currently offer MyEdge custom jackets for Nook Touch. We are in the process of deciding which new devices we will add to MyEdge and Nook Touch is one of the devices being considered. I will let our product development team know that you have expressed interest in having MyEdge custom jackets for this device. I am sorry I could not be of more help! Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

I replied and asked them to let me know if they have a date for as to when such decision has to be made and to let me know if possible.

I'll keep you updated.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #26
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeine View Post
Greenmonkey,

Does the cover fell much larger than nook itself? There a lot of empty space dedicated to the light itself, defeating the purpose of having a compact ebook reader.
It's OK. It's nice enough, and I love the built in light, but I wish they had engineered a smaller light for the newer e-readers. I'm not big on the plastic attaching system either - it makes the case a bit thicker than the old strap systems. The mechanism they came up with to hit the power button through the outside of the case is great though.

It just ended up being a little bigger and a little thicker than I would have liked. I miss my old M-edge jacket - I loved that.

I guess the built in light is worth the trade off of the bulkier size/thickness, and I still feel like I made the right choice for now. But I feel like they could do better. A shorter light and no wasted space (and back to the old strap system) would be a better case.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:47 AM   #27
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
.../... I guess the built in light is worth the trade off of the bulkier size/thickness, and I still feel like I made the right choice for now. But I feel like they could do better. A shorter light and no wasted space (and back to the old strap system) would be a better case.

Hi GreenMonkey,
This is a very interesting observation and I would certainly not have guessed by just looking at the pictures because the new mounting system looks completely hidden while the 'old strap system' (in my mind it reminds me of the corner photos system in album photos) 'protrudes' slightly at the corners. I wonder how visually the new four-point could appear so transparent by hooking only onto the back of the device but ending up being bulkier...
Old 09-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #28
6charlong
friendly lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeine View Post
Greenmonkey,

There are several M-Edge designs. I think it's the Executive model that puts the light inside the jacket. The Go Jackets have a little pouch on the side where you can attach the light but there is no room in the cover itself for the light. The Go Jacket follows the form of my STR almost exactly, with only 5mm (about 1/4 inch) of the cover extending beyond the edge of the book reader.

I apparently got lucky too in that my Go Jacket uses straps on all four corners of the STR rather than a plastic cage. I disliked the plastic attachment in the Lindon Jacket. The corner straps don't cover any control.

The STR uses the same method as the B&N Jackets to press the On/Off switch on the back of the STR. There's a spot on the jacket to press. You have to press pretty hard with either jacket to work the switch and you can't press it with the light pushed all the way in.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #29
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Thanks Greenmonkey and 6charlong. I'm thinking about getting a m-edge go cover. But I'll keep on looking.
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #30
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
I went for the flip one because I have terrible manners and read while I eat! LOL The rubbery feel tends not to slip on table surfaces like others sorts of finishes. I can also hold it one handed and turn pages. I would like to try other covers but the shipping price is usually half again the cover costs. ouch.

cheers
kym

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulalullah View Post
Hi all,

re: Kymmmm
Interesting info about being able to slip your hand between the Nook and the back cover" to hold it. I have not thought about that...
I'm a woman with a span of hand of about +20cm/7.9in. I hold my book (and turn pages with the hand holding the book) and miss this aspect in an e-reader where both hands are required. I was hoping at least with a double-sided cover, I would retrieve the possibility to hold it like a book:
Description when holding with the left hand although it's almost the same when using the right hand:
- thumb on the inside left side
- baby finger on the inside right side
- middle finger on the spine
- index finger on the external left side
- and ring finger on the external right side
- the bottom spine of the book rests in the palm of the hand (when holding from top, the middle spine rests on the base of the palm-wrist)
- turn pages with thumb (when holding from top, turn pages with ring and index fingers)
I also do that 'single-handedly' when holding a book from its top although my fingers are fanned out a bit differently.
Creepy, ugh, I know

I was first really attracted to the flip cover you have because of its simplicity and unobtrusiveness (slim) but decided that I would miss too much the balance I had with the form format of a book. However, you've given me a point to ponder and this does not simplify my decision making. LOL.

re: GreenMonkey
Indeed, I saw the Executive Jacket model from M-Edge and thought that it's really cool to be able to carry a light with the cover. However I decided against it because I think the light placement when not in use would interfere with my old habits (see my physio-pschycho-motor description above ) and that the closure flap would disturb me.
How do you like the four-point mounting system and do you miss the feel of the rubberized back of the Nook?
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote