Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There certainly doesn't seem to be anything here to make it stand out from the crowd. It's (yawn) "yet another Android tablet".
There's nothing to see here, people. Keep it moving.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
There certainly doesn't seem to be anything here to make it stand out from the crowd. It's (yawn) "yet another Android tablet".
That is just another Android tablet. There are some really good Android tablets though, like the Xoom and Galaxy 10.1.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
The new Lenovo Thinkpad tablet has an active digitizer http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/tablets/thinkpad/ and it comes with apps designed to use it.
That one has been at the top of my list for almost 2-weeks now...I like it a lot. I am waiting a bit to see what their Windows version is like. But if that one is not coming until next Spring I will likely grab the Lenovo Business Tablet. It's not my ultimate tablet but it is dang close, closer than any other so far.

Quote:
Sony just announced one about an hour ago at IFA

preview hands on of the Tablet S at IFA http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/31/s...let-s-preview/
I like the looks of this, the handling looks so much like the Adam.

I really want a complementary 4"+ reader running Android that's not a phone would be nice if it has a SIM card slot but if not, eh, I can use a mobile hotspot router when I know I need data. Thanks for the info...

Last edited by joenunya; 08-31-2011 at 09:38 PM.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #19
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a hand-on of the new Android based Walkman shown by Dulin:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/31/son...device-at-ifa/

That's very much like what I am hunting to go with a large 10"+ tablet. I like the idea, just hope it too is not $500. There is a cost/lifespan/benefit number that is important here as well as use.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:31 PM   #20
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO, iPhone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
That is just another Android tablet. There are some really good Android tablets though, like the Xoom and Galaxy 10.1.
+1

But, what makes me leery is that Sony has a bad track record of abandoning some products if they don't sell well or just go the way of the Dodo for whatever reason. Like the Sony Clies and MiniDisc.
cfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 11:53 PM   #21
joenunya
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo View Post
+1

But, what makes me leery is that Sony has a bad track record of abandoning some products if they don't sell well or just go the way of the Dodo for whatever reason. Like the Sony Clies and MiniDisc.
Agreed. Sony is a very odd company that has never been one to rely on long term. I was one of those caught by the whole PalmOS PDA abandonment. They did still provide support for a fairly long time though, it was either 4 or 6 years as I remember. Might have been less but my company never needed that much support. As i remember it was the software vendors and developers I used who got left out in the cold sooner than we end users did.

But for personal use I really don't mind too much if it's a consumption based thing I don't mind only being able to use for 4 maybe 5 or 6 years. I will never again put my business in the hands of a company like Sony though. Of course even Palm went teats-up so who is to say. And ya know even HP is doping odd things these days as well. I feel a lot of HP's histrionics is about marketing spin and making shareholders feel something is actively being done to help keep the stock up.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #22
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
I am waiting for the dual screen version. Tablet S seems boring.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/31/s...pens-up-about/
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
Agreed. Sony is a very odd company that has never been one to rely on long term. I was one of those caught by the whole PalmOS PDA abandonment. They did still provide support for a fairly long time though, it was either 4 or 6 years as I remember. Might have been less but my company never needed that much support. As i remember it was the software vendors and developers I used who got left out in the cold sooner than we end users did.
Oh well, even if Sony "abandons" the product, it's running Android so it's not like you're completely left out in the cold.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
That dual screen version really looks nice, but I've also seen the price. And that isn't.... It'll have a price tag of €599...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That dual screen version really looks nice, but I've also seen the price. And that isn't.... It'll have a price tag of €599...
They're clearly going after the iPad market, and prices are comparable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:45 AM   #26
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
That one has been at the top of my list for almost 2-weeks now...I like it a lot. I am waiting a bit to see what their Windows version is like. But if that one is not coming until next Spring I will likely grab the Lenovo Business Tablet. It's not my ultimate tablet but it is dang close, closer than any other so far.
Well there is this Samsung Window's tablet that doesn't look too bad => http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/31/s...e-pc-hands-on/

I'd want to be sure that I could upgrade to Windows 8 when it comes out though.

Quote:
I don't really understand this comment. You got a product that was, what it was when you purchased it. The Clie's all supported the Palm apps for their associated version. The MiniDisk SONY probably supported for an astonishingly long time - well after it was obvious that it was a dead format. I believe it came out in the early 90's and continued just this year.

Anyway these products look interesting. Not a fan of the proprietary power cable (why can't you use mini-USB SONY?). I also don't really think there is much value add if you don't particularly like the design.

I still think SONY is a darkhorse if they can get their act together. I'm liking some of the talk coming out of Kazuo Hirai (Howard Stringer has been disappointing in visible change), and their more unified Entertainment Network (cnet) is a step in the right direction. If they can start linking all their assets they have the right pieces to be a real contender.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I really don't think that you can say that the Clie was "abandoned"; they were sold for many years. They were only stopped when PalmOS itself died.

Even MiniDisc was sold for a good number of years. I still have a Sony MiniDisc player.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #28
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I really don't think that you can say that the Clie was "abandoned"; they were sold for many years. They were only stopped when PalmOS itself died.

Even MiniDisc was sold for a good number of years. I still have a Sony MiniDisc player.
Yeah as I said above far from abandoned. I believe the Clie's were supported from early 2000's (maybe late 90's?) till around 2005. Palm's last device the TX hung around for awhile longer till ~08/09.. but really the market had dried up and noone really was supporting PalmOS then. Plus when SONY dropped PalmOS, Palm was going through all it's business oddity with being separated into Palm/PalmSource and ACCESS buying the OS etc.. and the next version of Palm (Cobalt or OS6) dragging on and on...

The MiniDisc also evolved to better compression etc.. You have to remember the first MiniDisc were like CD's. x-minutes of audio, and recording in early days were realtime (70mins audio = 70mins recording time).. in time it gained functionality (better codecs and even the ability for MP3's).
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #29
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
Another video of the Tablet P:
Sony Tablet P Hands On and Walkthrough at IFA 2011
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #30
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Well then it's beyond even considerations.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote